Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
More I think about this angrier JT wasn't just shipped out last summer for a value of players and picks that would of been worth 3 or 4 first rounders. If he actually gave u the team he'd love to sign a extension with you could of gotten four first rounders in value. No team Gm would be able to turn down the asking price because he'd be fired over passing on JT. LL COULD of used that value this off-season to. Build a strong team for this season maybe a better team than with JT here. But this isn't on JT. I believe he told the team to trade him last off-season. If u have a franchise player who won't sign a extension and says he's going to wait to hear other offers...not for money...because ISLES can pay him...than you know it's because he's not into your organization. So he basically told you to trade him.

Reactions: mmazz22

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Wow. Weren’t they considered a front runner among teams that weren’t the Isles?

It does not surprise me. That division is very loaded, the Blues are not really a contending lock past 2-3 seasons, and St. Louis is not exactly the most desirable place to live either. My feeling is its Toronto or us at this point. I'm not even sure how much Vegas or LA/San Jose are in it. The fact that some sort of notification was given leads me to believe we are taking this to Wednesday-Friday at this point at least.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Watching the draft and listening to these analysts ogle at the thought of Tavares playing in Toronto pissed me off. But it also worries me. I just remember what happened with Fransie and how we all thought it was a slam dunk he was coming back, and what did he do? He went somewhere else because he needed something new.

I just hope to God he doesn't talk to other teams. Who knows what kind of swaying they can do.
Yeah well the media (Including Toronto media) has reported several times Tavares is staying in Long Island and about to sign. Bet you did not get upset at that.
Seriously, how many "Tavares is about to sign" reports can we have that are wrong?

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Yeah well the media (Including Toronto media) has reported several times Tavares is staying in Long Island and about to sign. Bet you did not get upset at that.
Seriously, how many "Tavares is about to sign" reports can we have that are wrong?

These reports don't mean shit until he actually sign. And no, fans usually don't get upset that there are rumors their franchise player is finally considering re-signing with their team, what a surprise!

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

I think the fact his camp is sending notification to teams now means he definitely is not signing before the middle to end of this week on LI. I would assume if he is not signed by the 29th he most likely is out.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The bottom line is that Tavares wants to win now. While the direction of the team looks promising, none of the front office moves or games at the coliseum have improved this teams ability to win next year.

Shiny draft picks are nice but it would’ve been great to see this team go all in to show JT they’re committed to winning now.
What if winning now for the Islanders translated to 2019-20? The Isles have a chance to be a major player in the playoffs in short order, just based on having their prospects mature. The team is trending in the right direction. But if JT's timeline has him winning the Stanley Cup next season, perhaps Lou Lamoriello should be preparing to have the team move forward without John Tavares.

I think the organization is aware of the holes they still have in their roster this morning and will address them before the puck drops on October 4th. The pitch to Tavares now has to be the Islanders now have the direction they lacked in the front office and behind the bench, have resources that they will use to improve the organization, will not try to force a panic trade that just isn't there, have some well regarded prospects in the system, and that we can seriously compete VERY SOON with you as part of the Islanders. It just won't happen NEXT SEASON.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
These reports don't mean **** until he actually sign. And no, fans usually don't get upset that there are rumors their franchise player is finally considering re-signing with their team, what a surprise!

Darren Dreger reported last week Tavares was about to sign with the Islanders. So this idea the Toronto media is saying he's headed to the Isles is not true at all.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
That also makes no sense. They are miserable defensively and absolutely do not need offense. That may be more dumb than Toronto getting him.

Unless they know Seguin won't re-sign with them. Then they can trade him for help on defence and try to sign Tavares.

What if winning now for the Islanders translated to 2019-20? The Isles have a chance to be a major player in the playoffs in short order, just based on having their prospects mature. The team is trending in the right direction. But if JT's timeline has him winning the Stanley Cup next season, perhaps Lou Lamoriello should be preparing to have the team move forward without John Tavares.

I think the organization is aware of the holes they still have in their roster this morning and will address them before the puck drops on October 4th. The pitch to Tavares now has to be the Islanders now have the direction they lacked in the front office and behind the bench, have resources that they will use to improve the organization, will not try to force a panic trade that just isn't there, have some well regarded prospects in the system, and that we can seriously compete VERY SOON with you as part of the Islanders. It just won't happen NEXT SEASON.

Do you really believe Isles can be a true Cup contender by 2019/2020?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Unless they know Seguin won't re-sign with them. Then they can trade him for help on defence and try to sign Tavares.

Do you really believe Isles can be a true Cup contender by 2019/2020?
Bring in a goaltender, have Bellows and Wahlstrom (must want to leave college) mature, Barzal, Tito, Lee on the same trajectory as they are now, figure out how to clean up Nick Leddy so he never again has a season like last year, and Pulock continues to mature? Then yes, I think this is a semi-finals team and a legit threat to contend.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Bring in a goaltender, have Bellows and Wahlstrom (must want to leave college) mature, Barzal, Tito, Lee on the same trajectory as they are now, figure out how to clean up Nick Leddy so he never again has a season like last year, and Pulock continues to mature? Then yes, I think this is a semi-finals team and a legit threat to contend.

I think Wahlstrom needs at least two years from now and we still need to bring a solid top 4 d-man, because I lost all my trust in Nick Leddy and because Boychuk probably won't be able to do all the things he's doing now. I'd say this team is at least three years from being a serious threat.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

Knowing Seguin's lifestyle I would be shocked if he wanted to leave Dallas at all. That place is a haven for a wild guy like him off the ice

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Knowing Seguin's lifestyle I would be shocked if he wanted to leave Dallas at all. That place is a haven for a wild guy like him off the ice
I know nothing about Seguin's lifestyle, I have to admit :laugh: Also it wasn't anything serious, I was just trying to make sense out of it and speculate a bit.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think Wahlstrom needs at least two years from now and we still need to bring a solid top 4 d-man, because I lost all my trust in Nick Leddy and because Boychuk probably won't be able to do all the things he's doing now. I'd say this team is at least three years from being a serious threat.
A lot of Nick Leddy's problems came from being partnered with Dennis Seidenberg much of the time when Boychuk was hurt. I'm counting on Barry Trotz and his staff to help Leddy clean up his game, particularly helping him when he is caught as the only D back on a 2 on 1 (that was ugly and kept getting uglier). We're committed to Leddy for 4 more years and he still has wheels. I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

Reactions: PWJunior

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I know nothing about Seguin's lifestyle, I have to admit :laugh: Also it wasn't anything serious, I was just trying to make sense out of it and speculate a bit.

He's tamer than he was in Boston but there are still regularly stories about him in Dallas. He makes Matt Harvey look like Gary Carter during his playing days. I laughed when the Bruins sent him to Dallas because he was having women issues. I said, Dallas is the last place that is going to be resolved.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Also, I think we have another internal defense option in Mitch Vande Sompel. I'm very high on him and expect him to contribute to the Islanders sooner rather than later.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I think, if Tavares signs and we upgrade in goal, we can makr noise this year... maybe not surefire cup contenders, but we know the offensive potential is real, and there’s no way in God’s green earth that Trotz’s influence can’t help with the defensive side of the game a good bit of not tremendously

Reactions: bigtim1988
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad