Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Not as encouraging as it sounded prior.

I’ll be surprised if he signs before the listening period.

If LL knew he was leaning elsewhere, then you re-prioritize, eg trade for a 2nd line center.

JT is a franchise changer either way, whether he stays or goes.

Tavares waited this long, why wouldn't he at least hear some people out, even if it's to drive up his asking price a bit

Reactions: periferal

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Not as encouraging as it sounded prior.

I’ll be surprised if he signs before the listening period.

If LL knew he was leaning elsewhere, then you re-prioritize, eg trade for a 2nd line center.

JT is a franchise changer either way, whether he stays or goes.

No you don't. Everyone is going to go all out for JT, Stastny should be on Lous radar if JT bolts, he can still handle 2nd line duty, 3 year deal or something along those lines.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
No you don't. Everyone is going to go all out for JT, Stastny should be on Lous radar if JT bolts, he can still handle 2nd line duty, 3 year deal or something along those lines.

We shall see.

Stastny is probably going back to the Avs, wouldn’t want to overpay an aging stopgap given a scarce market.

Always cap dumps through the offseason, e.g. Tyler Johnson. Here’s the better upside.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
This Tweet is truly on point. Ledecky/Malkin took two years before they grabbed a fire extinguisher so Tavares owes them nothing for waiting so long...Or asking them to wait a bit longer.

Reactions: SI90

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Watching the draft and listening to these analysts ogle at the thought of Tavares playing in Toronto pissed me off. But it also worries me. I just remember what happened with Fransie and how we all thought it was a slam dunk he was coming back, and what did he do? He went somewhere else because he needed something new.

I just hope to God he doesn't talk to other teams. Who knows what kind of swaying they can do.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
I was kind of hoping that the Captain of the team would've called the 1st round picks and welcomed them to the team........unless he knows theyve been dealt and blockbuster tonight bodes for the big announcement tomorrow? i know....pathetic Islander fan but, with the most exciting draft in years anything is possible.

It's rumored this is JT's bachelor weekend, since he's getting married this summer. Let the guy have his fun once in a while.

It would be an amazing month for my Islanders if #91 was to sign a 7 year 84 million dollar deal with the Rangers or the Maple Leafs.

Are you a Rangers or a Leafs fan? Or both? Weird combination, I have to say.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Watching the draft and listening to these analysts ogle at the thought of Tavares playing in Toronto pissed me off. But it also worries me. I just remember what happened with Fransie and how we all thought it was a slam dunk he was coming back, and what did he do? He went somewhere else because he needed something new.

I just hope to God he doesn't talk to other teams. Who knows what kind of swaying they can do.

Totally different situation though. Snow was in Charge and put Nielsen on the Backburner because he thought he could sign Stamkos, who reuped with his team.

Now Lou is in Charge and Tavares is Stamkos.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
From cleaning house to the draft isles have done everything they can to convince him to stay.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
The ball is in his court. Honestly, wouldn't blame him one bit for checking out other teams, he really owes us nothing. That being said, we have done EVERYTHING possible the past couple of weeks to improve our team, and I'm praying that he see's that along with the potential that is already there.

I really think it'd be a mistake for him to leave, this team is about to turn a corner in a big way.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I’m really concerned about the message the draft sent to him today. Yes, we got 2 awesome players, but are we really going to try to sell him on the future again? Snow has been shoveling that crap down his throat for a decade, and we have 1 playoff series win to show for it.

I’m not usually fond of trading high end picks or prospects, but this was the year to do it. This team needs to have a roster capable of making it to the 2nd round before July 1st, and I’m not sure what assets we have to make that happen anymore.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
That being said, we have done EVERYTHING possible the past couple of weeks to improve our team, and I'm praying that he see's that along with the potential that is already there.

Everything? Really? I mean, getting Lou and Trotz are huge, don't get me wrong, but saying we've done everything possible to improve this team isn't true. We have huge holes that have to be filled with good players, we need goaltending, we need defence... Off ice changes are a good start, but I have a feeling improving roster is more important in this case.

I’m not usually fond of trading high end picks or prospects, but this was the year to do it. This team needs to have a roster capable of making it to the 2nd round before July 1st, and I’m not sure what assets we have to make that happen anymore.

I think Lou knows this. But when the deal isn't right, you don't do it. Trades and signings born out of desperation are usually the ones that go bad very fast. We could've get Grubauer for one of the first rounder, but is he worth it? I'm not so sure of this. We still have assets that can come into play when the right deal will be on the table and hopefully whatever Lou does from now until June 30th will be enough to keep JT with us.

That said, my dream scenario is JT doing the interview period, talking with Leafs and then deciding to re-sign here after all. It would be amazing to see their reaction after that happened.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'm pretty much feeling like many others, even journalists at this point. We didn't half-ass it. We went all out to improve our organization and the fans should be excited with or without JT. If he chooses to leave, don't let the door hit you on the way out. Make a trade for O'Reilly or sign Statsny. We'll find a way under Lou to fill the 2C slot and be competitive. After the first round the only team who has gotten better in our conference is Florida. Lots of time left, but I'm pretty confident Lou will fill some holes going forward.

Reactions: Surfrat

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Everything? Really? I mean, getting Lou and Trotz are huge, don't get me wrong, but saying we've done everything possible to improve this team isn't true. We have huge holes that have to be filled with good players, we need goaltending, we need defence... Off ice changes are a good start, but I have a feeling improving roster is more important in this case.

I think Lou knows this. But when the deal isn't right, you don't do it. Trades and signings born out of desperation are usually the ones that go bad very fast. We could've get Grubauer for one of the first rounder, but is he worth it? I'm not so sure of this. We still have assets that can come into play when the right deal will be on the table and hopefully whatever Lou does from now until June 30th will be enough to keep JT with us.

That said, my dream scenario is JT doing the interview period, talking with Leafs and then deciding to re-sign here after all. It would be amazing to see their reaction after that happened.

Pretty sure everything fits here. There were no top 4 dmen traded in the first round, there was only a potential #1 goalie moved with pretty big baggage. We've got a Stanley Cup winning coach and a Stanley Cup winning GM. We got more games at the coliseum. It's it's not "everything" it's pretty damn close and absolutely enough to say that if Tavares walks away it's not because we didn't make it worthwhile to stay. Only thing we can say is it was too little too late.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Pretty sure everything fits here. There were no top 4 dmen traded in the first round, there was only a potential #1 goalie moved with pretty big baggage. We've got a Stanley Cup winning coach and a Stanley Cup winning GM. We got more games at the coliseum. It's it's not "everything" it's pretty damn close and absolutely enough to say that if Tavares walks away it's not because we didn't make it worthwhile to stay. Only thing we can say is it was too little too late.

Just because there were no top 4 d-men traded yesterday, doesn't exactly mean there were no top 4 d-men available - there's a lot of things going on behind the scene that we don't know about. And I wasn't a fan of throwing our first rounder of Grubauer, tbh. I'm also not saying Lou made some kind of mistake here. You wait for the right deal to come, even if it requires patience. But saying we did everything possible when we didn't improve the roster? Yeah, maybe hold your horses on that one. Saying we did enough to make it possibly worthwile to stay? Yes, definitely.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Not sure trading away 2 really good prospect picks for a back up goalie who did not take over the starter's job will necessary convince JT to stay. If he has interest to move on to another teams or not satisfy with the Isles offer then he will walk anyway.

Until you see what JT decides to do, you do not trade those picks especially in a very deep draft year. Yes it is a very good year and that is why Isles got lucked out with those 2 picks. I do not think either prospects will be that far away from making NHL, I think it will be 2 years. Hopefully JT will stay, but it is not the end of world if he walks away now Isles do have a very good prospect pool and talented youngsters already made NHL. They will have some decisions though about the AHL players they have plus Bellows - now do they keep them to trade them should JT resign? If JT stays, I will be willing to move the 2019 1st pick plus a roster player plus a prospect to improve the D+G. If he walks then, keep the 2019 1st and AHL prospects and see how they develop. Comes to worst, if JT leaves, Isles may beat the Rags to the Jack Hugh sweepstakes next season. I think either way JT resign or walks, Isles do have two routes to be highly competitive in 3-4 years, but a couple of years sooner with JT and of course that is the prefer outcome.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Just because there were no top 4 d-men traded yesterday, doesn't exactly mean there were no top 4 d-men available - there's a lot of things going on behind the scene that we don't know about. And I wasn't a fan of throwing our first rounder of Grubauer, tbh. I'm also not saying Lou made some kind of mistake here. You wait for the right deal to come, even if it requires patience. But saying we did everything possible when we didn't improve the roster? Yeah, maybe hold your horses on that one. Saying we did enough to make it possibly worthwile to stay? Yes, definitely.

Can only compare it to what was done. If your wife/husband is craving donuts and you go to several stores and there are no donuts left are you really going to accuse somebody of not doing all they could? You say we don't know what went on behind close doors and I say we don't either, so why guess? Judge it by the information we have on hand, which is that no top 4 D were moved and Grubaer and big baggage were traded to the west coast. With those results, we did all we could do. I'm eliminating the conjecture for the sake of the exercise because conjecture gets us nowhere and I doubt JT is going to have any more information than we do other than "We tried to swing a deal". In the end JT is going to recognize that LL knows the holes that need to be filled and is actively trying to address them like every other GM (except his predecessor) and do what's best for the organization. If JT doesn't think there is enough done than his characters not what I peg it to be at all. Like people are saying, it's not on us anymore it's on him.

Islesfan19

May 22, 2018
The bottom line is that Tavares wants to win now. While the direction of the team looks promising, none of the front office moves or games at the coliseum have improved this teams ability to win next year.

Shiny draft picks are nice but it would’ve been great to see this team go all in to show JT they’re committed to winning now.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
As noted we don’t know what kinds of deals were bandied about, that said, I’d imagine some teams were salivating over Wahlstrom or Dobson at those spots. There were several top 4 D men rumored to be on the trade block. We didn’t get any of them; rather the possibility of one in Dobson.

That possibility doesn’t convince JT that the roster is better; we have a small window to show roster upgrades. Manufacture a homerun; in the prospects dept., they did, management/coaching, they did.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I’m sure if JT went to Lou and said upgrade the team and I’ll sign right now at least one of those picks would have been traded.

Probably didn’t happen though. It’s not on Tavares that he hasn’t signed and he’s more than free to look into his options, but ultimately we couldn’t afford to dump those picks on a roster upgrade when arguably our most important player and captain may decide to not come back

Also, I enjoy the fact that people think that because they used those picks they couldn’t theoretically trade the players they drafted. I know it’s not as simple as simply flipping the picks would have been, but I bet both Dobson and Wahlstrom hold more value than the 11 and 12th overall picks had prior to the draft since both of these high-end prospects fell into the Isles’ lap

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Lets wait and see if these two guys are on the team in a couple of days.
Unless you get blown away with an offer trading either of them would be a huge mistake. Value wise you essentially got 2 top 7 picks in one of the deepest drafts ever, you don't trade those guys.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Howd you become an isles fan growing up up there?

Sidenote your screenname and my profile pic work well together.

Edit: your name is a mark streit reference. Not brian strait. Scratch that sidenote.

Moved from Long Island when I was 10 and was already a fan, I just never switched who I cheered for.

Reactions: SteveH124
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad