Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Again, PC 101. At no point does lee come out directly say Tavares is staying.

He's saying what he's supposed to in order to prevent this from being a distraction.

"He means everything he says..." where has tavares said he's staying? Tavares has said their is open dialouge, but nothing implying he's staying.

All of his teammates are going to give their best answers to avoid media speculation running rampant.

I mean, everyone and their mother is saying it will hinge on our future of where we are playing, so does Lee know something we don't?

Because hard to guarantee Tavares staying without knowing our long term arena situation.

I've never seen another player come out and guarantee that a teammate signs. Most of them say they won't comment on it at all or that "it's a business..." and that's not what is being said here. I think Tavares stays, but I don't think it's a done deal. The players might know more about the reasons why Tavares is hesitant to sign a deal and don't view it as a giant obstacle.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
He was hanging out with Steph Curry on the Golf course. Not bad

very cool, just hope they didn't talk about the Bay area to much, the Sharks are a team who is in a high running if Tavares is going to hit the FA, he also took a road trip to California this summer, hoping the Bay Area was not on his itinerary

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
very cool, just hope they didn't talk about the Bay area to much, the Sharks are a team who is in a high running if Tavares is going to hit the FA, he also took a road trip to California this summer, hoping the Bay Area was not on his itinerary

Great, thanks to you we can queue the west coast trade proposals now....who am I kidding they've already been there!

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
At least John isn't saying this:

If he did he'd be traded already lol...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/doughty-potentially-leaving-kings-just-want-win-cups/

hey may not be saying it but I am sure he is thinking it, it is why if JT is not going to re-sign it is going to look very bad on his part and leave with a bitter taste in Islander fans minds because for the last year he has been saying how much he is wanting to re-sign, it is better to be honest than just say what people want to hear and than drop a bombshell on them later on

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
At least John isn't saying this:

If he did he'd be traded already lol...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/doughty-potentially-leaving-kings-just-want-win-cups/

Gotta disagree. While Tavares will not just come out and make the statement Doughty did , about wanting to win and leaving if his team is not looking like they will be a contender. His actions point to him doing just that.

I cannot blame Tavares for questioning whether Snow can build a serious contender. One playoff series win in 11 yrs under Snow is pretty crappy, very unimpressive.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I think JT is waiting to find out what the future holds for the batchagaloop burger.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
MTL may get fined for tampering for comments their owner made regarding Tavares.

Doesn't really matter though. I think Tavares knows there's 30 other teams that would kill for him.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Gotta disagree. While Tavares will not just come out and make the statement Doughty did , about wanting to win and leaving if his team is not looking like they will be a contender. His actions point to him doing just that.

I cannot blame Tavares for questioning whether Snow can build a serious contender. One playoff series win in 11 yrs under Snow is pretty crappy, very unimpressive.

You aren't really disagreeing. My point was about comments and not thoughts really. At least JT finished up his line about winning the Stanley Cup and doing it "with the Islanders". Doughty is probably being more candid, but it lets me know he doesn't give a rat's ass about LA. The fact that JT is being more careful with his speech let's me know he's at least respectful of the franchise, regardless of the shambles it is in.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Well Doughty is not so apreciative. 2 cups and a couple bad years he wants to bail. reminds me of when torrey traded sutter for thimas because sutter thought the cup days were over and asked for a trade. to some guys winnjng the cup is everything. but i mean once u win it how many times do u need to win it?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Well Doughty is not so apreciative. 2 cups and a couple bad years he wants to bail. reminds me of when torrey traded sutter for thimas because sutter thought the cup days were over and asked for a trade. to some guys winnjng the cup is everything. but i mean once u win it how many times do u need to win it?

Dude, really? I wouldn't go that far. Sutter said he wanted to play for a contender, but it didn't stop him from letting loose the water works when talking about the glory years and the rave remarks from Torrey who talked about his devotion to the team. These comments by Doughty are TOTALLY different. Sutter was an excellent captain, and a hard working blue collar kind of guy. There is absolutely no comparison between Sutter and Doughty in the way they felt about their respective teams.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/10/26/s...rt-over-by-trading-lafontaine-and-sutter.html

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
MTL may get fined for tampering for comments their owner made regarding Tavares.

Doesn't really matter though. I think Tavares knows there's 30 other teams that would kill for him.

I do not want the Habs penalty to be cash.
let it be a high draft pick in the 2018 draft.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
You aren't really disagreeing. My point was about comments and not thoughts really. At least JT finished up his line about winning the Stanley Cup and doing it "with the Islanders". Doughty is probably being more candid, but it lets me know he doesn't give a rat's ass about LA. The fact that JT is being more careful with his speech let's me know he's at least respectful of the franchise, regardless of the shambles it is in.

Fair points.
If Tavares had made those comments, we would have a feeding frenzy from the media and non- isles fans. So, while I do think Doughty is saying what Tavares won't, we at least avoid that circus.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I've won championships ever since I was a kid playing hockey and now as an adult in terrible beer leagues. I'm still trying to win every time I play and am pissed off if I don't. I imagine an NHLer feels the same way, except multiply it by 100000000000.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
to some guys winnjng the cup is everything. but i mean once u win it how many times do u need to win it?

Are you kidding, it is only about winning the Cup, Doughty is a guy who you overpay for, the players who are happy with their 1 or 2 cups are the guys who you stay away from, I am sure that is how the Islanders got Ladd because in addition to the insane overpayment he is getting I am sure he is happy to have his summers start in May every year, for some guys once you get a taste of winning losing sucks that much more, I am sure our dynasty Era was full of those guys

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Fair points.
If Tavares had made those comments, we would have a feeding frenzy from the media and non- isles fans. So, while I do think Doughty is saying what Tavares won't, we at least avoid that circus.

Yup, I feel almost as if Tavares is not so evil he would kick an injured dog...whereas Doughty just doesn't care.

There's a certain segment of psychologists that feel that being a professional athlete, president, or entertainer means you actually have some kind of mental illness diagnosis due to the insane selfishness it takes to achieve it along with the other things that some people do to attain it. I think Tavares still thinks about the health of the franchise when he speaks to the media, even if he possibly has no future with it.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
This thread reeks of people trying to rationalize a bad situation into an ok one. If 2 years ago if we were all told this would be the situation, none of us would feel good about it and most would say we'd have to try to trade him if not signed by opening night.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
This thread reeks of people trying to rationalize a bad situation into an ok one. If 2 years ago if we were all told this would be the situation, none of us would feel good about it and most would say we'd have to try to trade him if not signed by opening night.

I don't see people rationalizing it. I see people coming to terms with it. He's already gone in my mind and if he does resign i'll be thrilled and surprised. I don't think he'll get traded either as I'm guessing we'll be in a playoff spot. If we aren't in a playoff spot and he doesn't get traded and walks as a free agent I'll be the most pissed I have ever been with this franchise. I wasn't mad that they didn't trade Okposo at the deadline because of the playoffs. We'll see how it plays out. In the end I know I have no control over what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad