Speculation: John Tavares Mega Thread

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The thing that makes me nervous is Tavares can basically ask and get whatever he wants from the isles. The fact that he hasn't extended yet to me says it's about more than money.

My guess: Tavares and all islanders HATE the Barclays ice. It doesn't have the right plumbing to sufficiently support a decent sheet off ice. Players have complained and it even has caused injuries.

The isles New Owner is working hard on getting the isles their own Arena built for Hockey.

In my opinion Tavares is Pausing to sign his extension to put the pressure on the isles to get the arena situation resolved.

The isles have a lot of talent on the team and in the system. They're not a bottom feeder and have been in or around the playoffs the last 5 years. Tavares is a huge part of that. He's treated like a god in the organization. He's the captain. And if he stays another 5+ years there's a great chance he has his jersey retired and in the rafters. That I think means something. Overall Tavares wants to win and I do think he believes in the islanders and feels he has a great chance to succeed here.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I ultimately think he stays with the Islanders but there will be endless speculation until he signs a new deal. Selfishly, that's unfortunate because he would be an absolute godsend for the Blues.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
OTT: Cody Ceci, Derrick Brassard, 2018 1st and 3rd, B+ prospect (Perron, Chlapik, Jaros, Englund etc)
NYI: John Tavares

Hoffman - Tavares - Stone
Macarthur - Turris - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Burrows
Dzingel - Thompson - Pyatt
Paul, White

Claesson - Karlsson
Chabot - Phaneuf
Oduya - Wideman
Harpur, Borowiecki

Anderson, Condom

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Do you honestly think he will give up 70M+ to sign a 1 year deal anywhere?

Can sign a 70M+ deal the next year.

Doesn't usually happen in hockey but it does in the NBA frequently. Toronto would be potentially be a contender next year without him, but would also have the ability to free up space to get him on a one year deal. If he really wanted to go win somewhere that'd be a decent 'bet' he could make.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Why would he stay in a rebuilding team now. He's bolting. Prob take a discount go to Leafs knows the road to the cup is in his home town in the east. Isles are a lost soul.

Isles are not rebuilding at all. They're actually contending.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
In the OP, some of those scenarios listed in the links don't work anymore. The one with montreal doesn't since the Habs top prospect Sergachev is now in Tampa and the need for a scorer is less since they have Drouin.

If Tavares leaves as a UFA, I see tampa and nashville as top contenders. $8.5 million state tax free in tampa is the equivalent of around $10.5 million in Canada. And I can see him getting more than $8.5 from tampa.

He still has to pay federal tax, which is around 45 percent so he's still not taking home 8.5 million a year. Also Nashville is tax free as well as Tampa bay

MarkhamNHL

Sep 22, 2012
He still has to pay federal tax, which is around 45 percent so he's still not taking home 8.5 million a year. Also Nashville is tax free as well as Tampa bay

I don't think people understand things aren't always about money... Look at Stamkos. Next season the Leafs will have more freed up money than the isles anyways, so $$$ won't be an object if the Leafs want him and money is an issue.
The endorsement value of Tavares in Toronto is a lot higher.
and I'd say the Leafs have a lot better shot at a cup now than the Isles do. The guy is going to be 27 next month, he's not gonna wait on the Isles (especially that ice they play on) you never know when your career may end (injuries).
I think Tavares already knows his future, and will just keep saying the right things until time has come to sign a contract (wherever that may be)
:popcorn:

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro

Doesn't usually happen in hockey but it does in the NBA frequently. Toronto would be potentially be a contender next year without him, but would also have the ability to free up space to get him on a one year deal. If he really wanted to go win somewhere that'd be a decent 'bet' he could make.

If thats the case why not go to nashville, st louis, Minnesota, heck Washington buffalo columbus tampa bay for 1 year they are all contenders too. I think hes staying with the isles. But if he does go somewhere else of course id like to see him in a preds uniform. Tampa bay would be a good landing spot. Buffalo would be exciting to watch if they got him. Columbus of course. Blues could get that number 1c. Winnipeg would be another team that would be fun to watch if he went there. I guess well see. Hopefully nashville can free up a little space and entice him to come here if he doesnt sign back with the isles

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Nothing against the leafs but until we see an improvement int heir defense I could think of 10 better teams Tavares can sign with for 1 year if his goal is to win a cup

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If I'm the Blues management, I throw the farm at the Isles and try to land Tavares at the TDL, with the intention of selling him on the notion of staying long-term.

Tavares and St. Louis would be a match made in heaven.

I think that would make the Blues a favorite to win the Cup.

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Craig Button sure thinks they can sign him on a 1yr deal. Not a chance in hell Tavares risks giving up 80M. Hilarious to even speculate that idea.

These threads pop open every single year and every year an extension gets signed. Will be no different this time.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
OTT: Cody Ceci, Derrick Brassard, 2018 1st and 3rd, B+ prospect (Perron, Chlapik, Jaros, Englund etc)
NYI: John Tavares

Hoffman - Tavares - Stone
Macarthur - Turris - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Burrows
Dzingel - Thompson - Pyatt
Paul, White

Claesson - Karlsson
Chabot - Phaneuf
Oduya - Wideman
Harpur, Borowiecki

Anderson, Condom

Good luck giving John Tavares 7 years $77 million and then giving Erik Karlsson anywhere from 8 years $80 million to 8 years $84 million on top of it.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I see Montréal, Columbus and Carolina being interested in signing him as UFA and giving him max contract. But you also have to wonder where would he wants to play. Nobody knows.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I think he's gonna sign in Florida. Good weather, taxes and a core of Tavares, Barkov, Ekblad, Huberdeau, Trochek could be nasty.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
we had one of the best records in the nhl with doug weight as our coach

Weak response but I respect you loyalty as a Islanders fan. Islanders are in trouble and this is the main reason why Tavares has not re-signed yet. Islanders have lots of great young players and prospects but they need help on D and Goaltending TODAY, NOT TOMORROW. That is the #1 problem if you ask me

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Weak response but I respect you loyalty as a Islanders fan. Islanders are in trouble and this is the main reason why Tavares has not re-signed yet. Islanders have lots of great young players and prospects but they need help on D and Goaltending TODAY, NOT TOMORROW. That is the #1 problem if you ask me

islanders have a solid blue line and a good tandem in greiss and halak. our only need is a second line center, but you wouldn't know that.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Craig Button sure thinks they can sign him on a 1yr deal. Not a chance in hell Tavares risks giving up 80M. Hilarious to even speculate that idea.

These threads pop open every single year and every year an extension gets signed. Will be no different this time.

I'd like Button to name the last legit no. 1 center and star in the league who signed a 1 year contract.
He is completely out to lunch. Tavares is signing a 7/8 year deal when it's time. Something along the lines of the Price contract, probably with much of the salary paid up front as a signing bonus when the league locks out again in 19/20.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Nothing against the leafs but until we see an improvement int heir defense I could think of 10 better teams Tavares can sign with for 1 year if his goal is to win a cup

I am going to say that most Leaf fans have little interest in Tavares. Future cap is already a problem, and he adds more of the same and doesn't fill any need. We'd love him for free or at an affordable deal, but we can't pay close to market value.

However, this defense business is annoying. They are missing ONE piece on defense, but people act like they are deploying an AHL squad. Hopefully the tune changes this year, because the team defense was MUCH better after Janurary, and a lot of the pucks in the back of the net were rookie mistakes and goalie injury/recovery.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I see Montréal, Columbus and Carolina being interested in signing him as UFA and giving him max contract. But you also have to wonder where would he wants to play. Nobody knows.

The only real pitch Montreal has is "but we need you to sign with us, pretty please?"

With key roster players choosing to leave (Radulov, Markov) and the only enticing young prospect getting traded to Tampa, there's no way Tavares sees Montreal as a stable destination. In terms of forwards and defensemen, both now and in the future, Islanders quite easily have the Habs beat.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
I'd like Button to name the last legit no. 1 center and star in the league who signed a 1 year contract.
He is completely out to lunch. Tavares is signing a 7/8 year deal when it's time. Something along the lines of the Price contract, probably with much of the salary paid up front as a signing bonus when the league locks out again in 19/20.

Leafs could very well trade for him and sign him but it would cost them Nylander + . Button comparing the NBA and NHL :shakehead the threat of career ending injuries is so great in hockey that any player taking a 1 year deal would be idiotic and no agent would tell his client to turn down 75+ million in guaranteed money for a 1 yr deal. This is the #1 reason why he likely signs this summer or gets traded and signed. The threat of injury is to great and can only diminish your value if you wait 1 more season so it would be foolish to risk it if your Tavares and his agent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad