Speculation: John Tavares Mega Thread

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Add Minnesota to the group that makes sense. Deep team really only missing that "star" player.

Between Koivu expiring and Vanek's buyout coming off the books thats 9.25 million right there they could (but probably shouldn't) throw at him. Long term solution at 1C is basically the only hole in the lineup.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maybe he stays, but gives no discount if the team isn't that great.

Gets his money and then in 2-3 years *****es and complains behind scenes and then is moved.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015

Gets his money and then in 2-3 years *****es and complains behind scenes and then is moved.

This contradicts everything we've seen regarding JT's character. He's the Capitan and would never sow discontent among the team.

Habernack

BookHockey
Feb 10, 2010
Toronto

Could he ask for a 2 year 20-30mil deal?

Gives ownership enough time to get their feces together and prove to him that their worth him signing an 8 year deal at the age of 30.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This contradicts everything we've seen regarding JT's character. He's the Capitan and would never sow discontent among the team.

Doesn't have to complain to teammates. Could make it known to his Gm and Coach that he wants out.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I think if he had some assurances about the rink and team stability, he'd already have signed. Regardless of how unlikely it is, no doubt he's worried about signing an 8 year deal in New York City with 4 of those years resulting him having to live in Kansas/Seattle/Quebec

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Could he ask for a 2 year 20-30mil deal?

Gives ownership enough time to get their feces together and prove to him that their worth him signing an 8 year deal at the age of 30.

He could but its not a smart idea. Take the 8 year deal, if the team is still middling in two years then demand a trade. I wouldn't blame him for wanting out.

Habernack

BookHockey
Feb 10, 2010
Toronto
the same coach that said he's willing to speak for john saying that he wants to be an islander?

"John hates playing for me and this organization, and quite frankly, I can't stand coaching the kid. I think a change of scenery would do him and this franchise some good." - no coach ever

A mess their situation is, but professionals they continue to be, saying all the right things to ensure their fan base doesn't bail on them, resulting to a ticket out of town for the franchise. Unlikely, but lets no make a bad situation worse.

More at 11

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
As I stated a few months ago, I'm not surprised that the Islanders' arena uncertainty has impacted Tavares decision on re-signing long-term.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Assuming the arena stuff is figured out and management shows that they are dedicated to build a winner, I think he stays.

If he hits the market looking for a new home, I think Columbus, Montreal and Nashville are great fits.

Artemi Panarin - John Tavares - Atkinson
Boone Jenner - Alex Wennberg - Bjorkstrand
Nick Foligno - PL Dubois - Anderson
Matt Calvert - Lukas Sedlak - Milano/Abramov
If we get Tavares in FA, Dubinsky and likely Foligno or Bob have to go. As well as letting JJ go in FA.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
"John hates playing for me and this organization, and quite frankly, I can't stand coaching the kid. I think a change of scenery would do him and this franchise some good." - no coach ever

A mess their situation is, but professionals they continue to be, saying all the right things to ensure their fan base doesn't bail on them, resulting to a ticket out of town for the franchise. Unlikely, but lets no make a bad situation worse.

More at 11

yes a mess.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Assuming the arena stuff is figured out and management shows that they are dedicated to build a winner, I think he stays.

If he hits the market looking for a new home, I think Columbus, Montreal and Nashville are great fits.

Artemi Panarin - John Tavares - Josh Anderson
Boone Jenner - Alex Wennberg - Cam Atkinson
PL Dubois - Brandon Dubinsky - Nick Foligno
??? - Lukas Sedlak - Oliver Bjokstrand

or

Max Pacioretty - John Tavares - Brendan Gallagher
Jonathan Drouin - Alex Galchneyuk - Arturri Lekhonen
Paul Byron - Phillip Danault - Andrew Shaw
Jacob De La Rose - Michael McCarron - ???

or

Filip Forsberg - Ryan Johansen - Pontus Aberg
Kevin Fiala - John Tavares - Victor Arvidsson
Calle Jarnkrok - Nick Bonino - Craig Smith
Miikka Salomaki - Colton Sissons - Austin Watson

I could see nashville signing him but we would have to dump smiths salary 4.5 millon somewhere so he wouldnt be in our line up. I could see the preds giving him 10-11 mil a year for 6-8 years. I think he would really consider nashville. A chance to play with his child hood friend subban.

Forsberg Tavares aberg
Fiala ryjo arvi
Solamoki bonino jarnkrok
Watson sissons freddy G

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
He has a huge family connection to Buffalo.
2018-2019:

Moulson - Tavares - Okposo :)
ROR - Eichel - Reinhart
Pomminvile - Girgs - Nylander
Fasching - Larsson - Baptiste

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Honest question: Will the Islanders be assured of relocating if JT leaves?

No, they'll negotiate a deal with either Barclays or Nassau while waiting for another opportunity in the region.

The NHL has done everything humanly possible to keep the Coyotes in Arizona, they're not going to let a team in the US's largest (2nd largest, whatever) TV market go anywhere else.

stamkos

Jun 30, 2011
ontario gta
Why would he stay in a rebuilding team now. He's bolting. Prob take a discount go to Leafs knows the road to the cup is in his home town in the east. Isles are a lost soul.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
In the OP, some of those scenarios listed in the links don't work anymore. The one with montreal doesn't since the Habs top prospect Sergachev is now in Tampa and the need for a scorer is less since they have Drouin.

If Tavares leaves as a UFA, I see tampa and nashville as top contenders. $8.5 million state tax free in tampa is the equivalent of around $10.5 million in Canada. And I can see him getting more than $8.5 from tampa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad