Post-Game Talk: John Tavares is a Leaf, Leafs win 4-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
You guys are still crying about Hyman? He was good enough to put up 15 goals and 40 points last year. He's extremely effective on the forcheck and playing the body and getting the puck back. From the looks of it, you guys want a pure skill line like having Johnsson or Kappy in his spot, but the line wont merely be as effective as having Hyman there. He grinds it out, I don't believe Johnsson/Kappy or Leivo can do that night in and night out.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
You guys are still crying about Hyman? He was good enough to put up 15 goals and 40 points last year. He's extremely effective on the forcheck and playing the body and getting the puck back. From the looks of it, you guys want a pure skill line like having Johnsson or Kappy in his spot, but the line wont merely be as effective as having Hyman there. He grinds it out, I don't believe Johnsson/Kappy or Leivo can do that night in and night out.
Media is reporting that Matthews doesn't want to play with him anymore. I wonder how long until Tavares hits that point ?

Reactions: ToMaLe

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Media is reporting that Matthews doesn't want to play with him anymore. I wonder how long until Tavares hits that point ?

more importantly, does Tavares have the gudpro cred to get Babcock to actually listen to him on this?

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Hyman-Kadri-Brown just has that real 3rd line ring to it. I would love to see it for an 8-10 game stretch.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I have nothing against Hyman, but I'd like to see someone else at least given an opportunity on that line.

that's really all it is.

if everyone (babcock and some fans) is so sure that Hyman is a key part of those lines and make them better, what could possibly be the harm in trying out some other players on that line (or on the matthews' line in previous years), especially in preseason, and see what happens?

Reactions: ToMaLe

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hyman-Kadri-Brown just has that real 3rd line ring to it. I would love to see it for an 8-10 game stretch.

that's the thing. Hyman could be a beast of a bottom liner, Zezel-ing the forecheck like a monster for entire shifts, and everyone would love him.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
that's the thing. Hyman could be a beast of a bottom liner, Zezel-ing the forecheck like a monster for entire shifts, and everyone would love him.

I almost edited my post and added: "The new Osborne/Zezel/Berg" line ... I think we're on the same page for sure.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

Ya got a link or are you just making shit up?

Matthews would never throw a team member under the bus like that fella. It doesn't make Hyman look bad, it makes Matthews look bad.

Use your head.

Reactions: ACC1224

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Leafs Goal leaders this season:
Matthews
Tavares
Kadri
Marleau
Marner
Nylander

Kadri is not scoring more points than Marner. Just safe to assume that Marner is going to be in on most of Tavares's points...dur.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Do you have any links/tweets backing that up? Tried to google it and nothing came up.

overdrive were speculating about it last night, hayes had no source for it. He was like "I wonder if this is evidence of Matthews winning the battle with babcock, Matthews is on the 1st pp unit and hyman is off his line"

Reactions: razkaz

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
No one is reporting this. Started with Brian Hayes on Overdrive yesterday sharing his opinion on what might have happened during the Babcock-Matthews falling out of 2018 and seems to be echoing with the other TSN radio talking heads.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
this is crazy talk. watch closer.

After that gaff in the opening seconds, I thought the whole line was increasingly effective over the rest of the game. It seemed most of the third period they appeared to be working better together in keeping Ottawa's first line stuck in their end and therefore unable to get the Senator's back into the game. Certainly could have potted a goal or two against less solid goaltending. They looked like they were figuring out how to play with each other and learning on the job.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
No one is reporting this. Started with Brian Hayes on Overdrive yesterday sharing his opinion on what might have happened during the Babcock-Matthews falling out of 2018 and seems to be echoing with the other TSN radio talking heads.
Ok fine. Sorry guys
I thought the sports media had some credibility. My bad lol

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
McBackup needs to be traded. I love the guy, but Sparks is ready.
McBackup had a .934% last year in the NHL, saying you love the guy is obvious BS.

Sparks NHL career right now is a punchline.
He was the goalie that brought us to the promised land (NHL draft lottery win)

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
McBackup had a .934% last year in the NHL, saying you love the guy is obvious BS.

Sparks NHL career right now is a punchline.
He was the goalie that brought us to the promised land (NHL draft lottery win)
you mean those 17 games 3 years ago when he played on the worst team in the league? it makes no sense to write him off completely based on that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad