Post-Game Talk: John Tavares is a Leaf, Leafs win 4-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Well over the top. Our best player. I know you like Levio and That is fine but he was no where near our best player last night.

created the most turnovers, in on the most chances, and touched the puck more than anyone.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Yea, Leivo was really good last night and unlucky to not have had a couple of points.

Dont understand the Hyman pile-on either. He was fine.

Overall a decent team effort even though some of the vets looked to be still getting up to speed but thats par for the course in the pre-season.

Most importantly, Tavares looked even better than I though he would. He's the kind of player that is going to be valuable his whole damn contract IMO. Doesnt rely on speed or reflexes to produce but is a deceivingly strong player with elite IQ and finishing ability. Sens defenders were just bouncing off him with his great puck protection and board play and if he can avoid injury, hes gonna have a long career with his playstyle.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
$7MM x6 looks like a longshot from what I'm seeing if Marner plays out the year. Would be more in line with x5 years but that would be a terrible term for him and the leafs. If nylander doesn't bridge, I think it more likely that Marner will have to bridge. Then the leafs will have to deal with a $10MM+ contract upon renewal. It will be the only way to avoid losing good players next year. That assumes someone doesn't offer sheet him (which is a real possibility)
He won't be offer sheeted.

Valk the line

Oct 31, 2017
I've slowly become a Hyman convert. (the clincher for me was the series against Boston) Great engine. Great attitude. Good compliment to a skilled pair.

Reactions: kb and ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
$7MM x6 looks like a longshot from what I'm seeing if Marner plays out the year. Would be more in line with x5 years but that would be a terrible term for him and the leafs. If nylander doesn't bridge, I think it more likely that Marner will have to bridge. Then the leafs will have to deal with a $10MM+ contract upon renewal. It will be the only way to avoid losing good players next year. That assumes someone doesn't offer sheet him (which is a real possibility)
He has to be open to signing an Offer Sheet, from what I know he wouldn't be.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
There is nothing wrong with that.

But there is something wrong with saying that Leivo had a bad game last night. Because he was probably our best player on the night.

Fair, I watched a period. So I didn't get a full view of him. But I though his neutral zone play wasn't that great. But he did have some good offensive chances.

As I've said Leivo has the tools, if he can figure how to put everything together, he can be effective. But ATM im not convinced he's higher than Johnsson on the depth chart.

Then you add in Nylander when he signs and that leaves one spot. It seems like Babcock likes Ennis so it'll be between those two

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
created the most turnovers, in on the most chances, and touched the puck more than anyone.
Lol his center was far better. Marner created far more dangerous scoring chances and created turnovers. Seriously you complain about Hyman all the time and here you are pumping up Levio for doing the same thing that Hyman does...

Valk the line

Oct 31, 2017
Agreed. I like Borgman overall but his problem last season was not being able to break out from his zone as he crumbled under any sort of pressure, or was completely out of position.

It's not "love" as much as you don't "hate" him. He's done pretty well with a very limited roster spot over the past couple seasons. He deserves a shot to be in the lineup and keep his spot until he doesn't deserve it. Nothing suggests he doesn't deserve a spot based on his play. He was pretty good last night and stood out very well.

I am not sure how you've evaluated his hockey IQ over his last few games when nothing suggests otherwise, especially if you're looking at last nights game.

I'm evaluating his body of work. I like the flashes of tenacity and sniping ability but I generally don't like his decision making. With his skill set, he needs to be a top six and I think this team has better options.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
For what it's worth, Leivo has been more productive in the AHL and NHL at the same ages as Andreas, and both have been great possession wise against soft quality of competition.
When it comes to the numbers Zeke I believe you.
I just also believe that with Babcock he either gets you or he doesn't.

To date, Leivo has been scratched many time by Babs, while Johnsson moved up the playoff line and showed nice chemistry with Kadri.

It will be interesting tonight (Leafs/Sens round 2) to see what kind of game/praise Babs has for him.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Fair, I watched a period. So I didn't get a full view of him. But I though his neutral zone play wasn't that great. But he did have some good offensive chances.

which is weird, because even in that 3rd period you watched, he stole a number of pucks in the neutral zone leading to leafs chances.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
I think people overrate him. He's a decent player. Not good enough to make this team. Also some of you need to stop being so sensitive. Everyone will have differing opinions it's a forum. Stop ****ing crying. Just because I don't believe Leivo is good enough to make this team doesn't make me right or a bad guy. It's my opinion. Just because you love leivo's game and think he will doesn't make you a bad guy or right either.

That's the purpose and why we are on here. To discuss, I've simply stated my opinion. Leivo can be useful, but I don't see a fit on our team. There is nothing wrong with that.

But you didn't do what you are describing above. Instead you made several (!) posts that Leivo had a bad game, as bad that he doesn't have a chance to make the team anymore, replying to the majority who liked his game.
--> After watching only the third period!!! Ridiculous.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Lol his center was far better. Marner created far more dangerous scoring chances and created turnovers. Seriously you complain about Hyman all the time and here you are pumping up Levio for doing the same thing that Hyman does...

kadri was very, very poor in this one.

Marner was invisible until late.

Hyman was useless other than a couple of times when he controlled the puck behind the net, though even then he wasn't able to do anything with the puck.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He has to be open to signing an Offer Sheet, from what I know he wouldn't be.
Marner wants to be a Leaf for his career. He will take a contract that is fair and he will not sign a offer sheet.

I am hoping that after we sign Nylander we sign Marner for say 7.5m to 8m. If we wait until the end of the year he will get a lot more.

Reactions: ACC1224

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
which is weird, because even in that 3rd period you watched, he stole a number of pucks in the neutral zone leading to leafs chances.

He also turned the puck over twice, shot high and wide on a break away and missed the net completely on another scoring chance: So he had some great plays and some bad plays

Reactions: ACC1224

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Good to see the HF Leafs back in full mid season effect after a preseason game.

It's embarrassing looking at some of these posts. Some of you have Hainsey already slotted as a #7 and somehow Zaitsev after last years performance is ready for 1st line duties. You guys realize vets don't actually play 100% during these games because they aren't worried about making the team, right?

This is like a Youtube comment section level of ignorance.

We're Back!
Why would you be embarrassed over someone's comment of Hainsey? Hainsey was eating shit burgers out there just like the playoffs last year. I think they are fair comments

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013

Hyman was useless other than a couple of times when he controlled the puck behind the net, though even then he wasn't able to do anything with the puck.
How was Kadri very, very poor and Hyman useless?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
My only issue with Hyman actually has nothing to do with Hyman at all. It's the way Babcock acts like it's all him retrieving the pucks on the line all the time.

Reporter: "Auston/William had a good game with 3 points each, what did you think of them tonight?"
Babcock: "Well Hyman was in there digging them out all those pucks and good things happen"

In reality, and I like Hyman, and I thought he was better last year than his rookie season, but I'd say better than half the pucks Hyman digs out for them he can't make a play with.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
But you didn't do what you are describing above. Instead you made several (!) posts that Leivo had a bad game, as bad that he doesn't have a chance to make the team anymore, replying to the majority who liked his game.
--> After watching only the third period!!! Ridiculous.

That's me stating my stating my opinion. I never insulted anyone. I just said from my perspective he didn't have a great game. I'm allowed to reply to people to have dialog. I did exactly what i mentioned.

This is the problem, people like you associate disagreement with not respecting other people's argument. God, relax.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Levio was ok not great and mostly certainly not our best Player. Kadri was far better in my opinion.

Levio looks like he is going to get a fair chance to make the team and the ball is in his court but I see him as on the bubble again which means he could be a Leaf this year or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad