Post-Game Talk: John Tavares is a Leaf, Leafs win 4-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
stand by your opinion is what I'm saying, you don't "like" him or you would see that the ice clearly tilts towards the other team's net when he's on the ice in about as big of a way as any player causes it to, so don't soften your opinion with the "listen, I like Leivo, he's a good player" nonsense because you're one of his biggest detractors on here.

if you don't think he's earned at least a 4th line spot on any team in the league you're nuts, but at least own it

I can like a players game but understand the players position within the organization and whether or not he's a fit within.

I'm not one of his biggest detractors, I'm just tired of people over hyping him. He's a decent player who can play. Nothing more.

I do think he's earned the fourth spot, but do I think Babcock will give it to him? Probably not. There is one spot left once Nylander signs and from what it seems it looks like they are giving Leivo every opportunity to grab it. But unless he brings it every night he's not getting it. Last year it was easier for him to make the team and he didn't make it. This year it's even harder.

Also when it comes to opinions it doesn't have to be linear. Me liking leivo's game is a separate thought from me evaluating his chances of making the team. The two don't have to be related. It's not that hard of a concept to understand.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
stand by your opinion is what I'm saying, you don't "like" him or you would see that the ice clearly tilts towards the other team's net when he's on the ice in about as big of a way as any player causes it to, so don't soften your opinion with the "listen, I like Leivo, he's a good player" nonsense because you're one of his biggest detractors on here.

if you don't think he's earned at least a 4th line spot on any team in the league you're nuts, but at least own it

I get it you like Leivo but the way you talk about him it makes him seem like he's the next coming of Jesus offensively when he really isn't. I don't have to like him to the extent you do

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
The Leafs finally have some goalie depth and it still has to turn into a pissing contest around here.

Anderson, McBackup, Sparks and Picard all were great for us last year and, at the very least, are going to give us some security in case of injury as well as an asset or two as there is going to be some interest before the season starts.

We haven't been in this situation when it comes to goalkeeping in recent memory.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The Leafs finally have some goalie depth and it still has to turn into a pissing contest around here.

Anderson, McBackup, Sparks and Picard all were great for us last year and, at the very least, are going to give us some security in case of injury as well as an asset or two as there is going to be some interest before the season starts.

We haven't been in this situation when it comes to goalkeeping in recent memory.

we have to trade one, so we don't have 4. we may even lose 2 anyway Sparks, Picakrd and Mac need waivers Mac and sparks which ever gets waived there is a huge chance they get claimed, Picard also has NHL experience and could be claimed

kb

Aug 28, 2009
we have to trade one, so we don't have 4. we may even lose 2 anyway Sparks, Picakrd and Mac need waivers Mac and sparks which ever gets waived there is a huge chance they get claimed, Picard also has NHL experience and could be claimed
The thing that is in the Leafs favour is that whomever claims them has to keep them on the roster, and a lot of teams will be waiving goalies around the same time.

Reactions: Walshy7

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I can like a players game but understand the players position within the organization and whether or not he's a fit within.

I'm not one of his biggest detractors, I'm just tired of people over hyping him. He's a decent player who can play. Nothing more.

I do think he's earned the fourth spot, but do I think Babcock will give it to him? Probably not. There is one spot left once Nylander signs and from what it seems it looks like they are giving Leivo every opportunity to grab it. But unless he brings it every night he's not getting it. Last year it was easier for him to make the team and he didn't make it. This year it's even harder.

Also when it comes to opinions it doesn't have to be linear. Me liking leivo's game is a separate thought from me evaluating his chances of making the team. The two don't have to be related. It's not that hard of a concept to understand.
You're actively detracting from him wherever he's discussed, call that what you will

I get it you like Leivo but the way you talk about him it makes him seem like he's the next coming of Jesus offensively when he really isn't. I don't have to like him to the extent you do
I like the idea of the Leafs winning, having effective players is the way to win, Leivo has been very effective in his small career sample size, at times to a ludicrous degree. The fact that he's done what he has and not had the opportunity to see if it's real is a travesty

you seem like you're willing to endow Kapanen and Johnsson top 9 spots without them proving anything, that should highlight that you aren't objective in this

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You're actively detracting from him wherever he's discussed, call that what you will

I like the idea of the Leafs winning, having effective players is the way to win, Leivo has been very effective in his small career sample size, at times to a ludicrous degree. The fact that he's done what he has and not had the opportunity to see if it's real is a travesty

you seem like you're willing to endow Kapanen and Johnsson top 9 spots without them proving anything, that should highlight that you aren't objective in this

Again it's not about what I want. Babcock is the coach. I'm going based solely on what Babcock has showed us up until this point. Babcock played Johnsson over Leivo when he had the chance to play Leivo... so what does that tell you?

Honestly it doesn't look good for Leivo based on the perception we are given from Babcock. That being said could Leivo play on the fourth line, probably. Will he? I don't know. I honestly believe Johnsson will end up back with Kadri.

We have to see how the rest of camp goes. But as of right now, I'm not convinced Leivo has done enough to lock down a spot (with Nylander in the line up ofc).

Anyways I can't be bothered to keep going back and forth on this. We are going in circles. You think I'm a Leivo hater lmfao. And nothing I say can change that & I don't care enough to keep explaining how there doesn't have to be a correlation between liking a players game and predicting his spot on a team where there is 1 forward spot and like 6 guys battling for it.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Similar Debuts as Sparks

Raanta (24): 25gms, .897sv%
Sparks (22): 17gms, .893sv%
Bishop (22): 6gms, .893sv%
Dubnyk (23): 19gms, .889sv%
Ward (21): 28gms, .882sv%
Schneider (22): 8gms, .877sv%

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Again it's not about what I want. Babcock is the coach. I'm going based solely on what Babcock has showed us up until this point. Babcock played Johnsson over Leivo when he had the chance to play Leivo... so what does that tell you?

Honestly it doesn't look good for Leivo based on the perception we are given from Babcock. That being said could Leivo play on the fourth line, probably. Will he? I don't know. I honestly believe Johnsson will end up back with Kadri.

We have to see how the rest of camp goes. But as of right now, I'm not convinced Leivo has done enough to lock down a spot (with Nylander in the line up ofc).

Anyways I can't be bothered to keep going back and forth on this. We are going in circles. You think I'm a Leivo hater lmfao. And nothing I say can change that & I don't care enough to keep explaining how there doesn't have to be a correlation between liking a players game and predicting his spot on a team where there is 1 forward spot and like 6 guys battling for it.
oh, I completely believe that Babcock doesn't like Leivo or that there's something happening behind the scenes, it's just not based on the on-ice results which have been especially good when Leivo plays with Kadri in terms of possession surplus and all that goes with that

I think it's hard to look at a game where Leivo lead the team in shots, presumably again ran a huge possession surplus (they didn't keep that info last night in Lucan), and more than a few people in this thread believe that Leivo was the best player on the ice (and I'm sure that's debatable, but certainly highlights that he's earned the next opportunity to play there). I don't know what else he could do to earn the next opportunity that he didn't last night

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Question: did you like what you saw from Tavares/Marner?
Babcock: hyman was great

Question: which players did you like tonight?
Babcock: Leivo....

open your eyes.

dude calm down. It was funny, that's all.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
oh, I completely believe that Babcock doesn't like Leivo or that there's something happening behind the scenes, it's just not based on the on-ice results which have been especially good when Leivo plays with Kadri in terms of possession surplus and all that goes with that

I think it's hard to look at a game where Leivo lead the team in shots, presumably again ran a huge possession surplus (they didn't keep that info last night in Lucan), and more than a few people in this thread believe that Leivo was the best player on the ice (and I'm sure that's debatable, but certainly highlights that he's earned the next opportunity to play there). I don't know what else he could do to earn the next opportunity that he didn't last night

He just has to continue to play well. He did awesome in Training Camp. I do think he'll be playing a lot this month because the sense I get is Babcock probably doesn't like his work ethic or something about him (that we aren't privy to) but management really likes him as a player. So it'll be interesting to see how he performs the rest of the camp.

I will admit that my opinion from last nights game was a bit jaded because of the period I got. So in that sense I wasn't using an objective view.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Question: did you like what you saw from Tavares/Marner?
Babcock: hyman was great

Question: which players did you like tonight?
Babcock: Leivo....

open your eyes.
Was the second question and response a joke?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
He just has to continue to play well. He did awesome in Training Camp. I do think he'll be playing a lot this month because the sense I get is Babcock probably doesn't like his work ethic or something about him (that we aren't privy to) but management really likes him as a player. So it'll be interesting to see how he performs the rest of the camp.

I will admit that my opinion from last nights game was a bit jaded because of the period I got. So in that sense I wasn't using an objective view.
he needs to keep drawing into the lineup to play well, thats the root of the whole issue - he plays well for a game or two, he gets sat for 15. At no point that Leivo has been in the lineup has he been in the conversation as the Leafs worst forward, the competition is getting stiffer in that regard, but in terms of on ice performance he's been consistently better-than-worst and often very good. There may be something that they're keeping quiet, that would make sense given his handling, but it's hard to make sense of whats happened to him if management likes him and he consistently plays better than the guys he's competing for roster spots with

I also believe that his skillset is much better used in the forward zone, the way he was used last year doesn't suit him like being in the offensive zone does. You would think a team that just lost a big body who got hugely offensive usage and similar PP assignments to Leivo could find some of that time for him.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Do you have a link?

I just listened to Babcock's post game interview and didn't hear that.

maybe not verbatim, but leivo was the first name he brought up unprompted:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Babcock on Leivo’s performance in camp and his chances of making the team:
The opportunity is better for him and Ennis because Willy is not there. The other thing I’d say to you is that, because he worked way harder, he is having more success. It’s amazing — when you put the work first, you tend to get luckier. He is doing that. Now, each and every day, I’ll make sure he is going to work. You’ve got to go to work every day. The good players do. They flat out come and work every single day. If you want to be a good player, you’ve got to do the same.

Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Ottawa Senators – Preseason Game #2 Preview, Projected Lines & TV Info | Maple Leafs Hotstove

So pretty clear babcock wasn't happy with Leivo's work ethic....​

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
After Hyman, but he was no good we've been told.

eh, he was asked about Tavares-Marner - throwing in Hyman there was a bit of shade at Tavares-Marner, imo. he followed it up by saying "we need some work".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad