Player Discussion: John Tavares II

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
If you're going to correct the grammar of other people, make sure that your post doesn't contain any grammatical errors when doing so (hint: your post does).

You missed the entire point. I don't mind spelling or other minor grammatical misques. I rarely bring them up since sometimes auto-correct changes what we type and nobody is perfect, however, throw in a period and some capitalization every once and a while for God's sake.

Reading a run-on paragraph without any stops or starts is maddening. It also makes you look like you are ranting without thinking things through and lessens the impact and ability for further discussion. Which seems like the case since Stamkos (just last year) immediately disproves the original poster's point.

We should strive for intelligent and continued discussion not half-@$$ed rants and ramblings. Unless that is what you are into, then carry on.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
You missed the entire point. I don't mind spelling or other minor grammatical misques. I rarely bring them up since sometimes auto-correct changes what we type and nobody is perfect, however, throw in a period and some capitalization every once and a while for God's sake.

Reading a run-on paragraph without any stops or starts is maddening. It also makes you look like you are ranting without thinking things through and lessens the impact and ability for further discussion. Which seems like the case since Stamkos (just last year) immediately disproves the original poster's point.

We should strive for intelligent and continued discussion not half-@$$ed rants and ramblings. Unless that is what you are into, then carry on.

I didn't suggest that the other person's post was written well (it wasn't). I was pointing out that if you want to go around correcting other people's grammar-be prepared to have yours corrected as well. I promise you that while my grammar isn't perfect, it's a hell of a lot better than yours is.

We're all Islander fans here on HFboards, we all want what's best for the team (even if we disagree as to what that means at times), and none of us come here to have somebody else attempt to make them look like they're not capable of having an "intelligent discussion".

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
If you're going to correct the grammar of other people, make sure that your post doesn't contain any grammatical errors when doing so. Your post contains several fragments, few complete sentences, and you used a semi-colon incorrectly. I hate being a grammar Nazi, but if you're going to throw rocks...make sure you don't live in a glass house first.

Honestly, I put the semi-colon in and thought better of it but I wanted to stress two (2) independent and different thoughts in the same line. As for the fragments and abbreviated sentences, that is intentional to keep the underlying ideas short and impactful. I would write differently if this wasn't a message board but I am trying to follow the K.I.S.S. rule and know my audience.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Honestly, I put the semi-colon in and thought better of it but I wanted to stress two (2) independent and different thoughts in the same line. As for the fragments and abbreviated sentences, that is intentional to keep the underlying ideas short and impactful. I would write differently if this wasn't a message board but I am trying to follow the K.I.S.S. rule and know my audience.

Your semi-colon didn't divide up two independent clauses (which is the function of a semi-colon), it divided an independent clause with a dependent clause. You started your second clause with the word "and", which is a conjuction and therefore isn't able to go at the start of an independent clause. In your post if you would have used a comma instead of a semi-colon then it would have been grammatically correct. It's literally my job to correct people's grammar.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
So the Isles shouldn't re-sign the face of their franchise and one of the best players they've ever had, in his prime, for $10mil for 8yrs but some other team is going to sign him for 1 mil per less and 1 year less, and that's OK?

I'll agree to disagree.

where did I say they should not re-sign him?

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I didn't suggest that the other person's post was written well (it wasn't). I was pointing out that if you want to go around correcting other people's grammar-be prepared to have yours corrected as well. I promise you that while my grammar isn't perfect, it's a hell of a lot better than yours is.

We're all Islander fans here on HFboards, we all want what's best for the team (even if we disagree as to what that means at times), and none of us come here to have somebody else attempt to make them look like they're not capable of having an "intelligent discussion".

Hey, I am all for discussing grammar, technical and creative writing all day. (Even including when my intent is to use a bit of a "folksy" tone to abbreviate my ramblings.) I find it interesting and welcome constructive criticsm. If someone notes a mistake that impacts my post or even the delivery to get a point across, I will take it under advisement and adapt accordingly to try and be better going forward.

Back to the point, besides Stamkos, I believe Hank also re-signed with the Rangers in December of his walk year. I am fairly certain it was December of his walk year but I might be wrong, since I am trying to recall the events from memory. The point is that you never know what can happen.

It would be best to lock up Tavares in the off-season but as long as negotiations are ongoing and it is done by the trade deadline, that is acceptable. If a new contract is not signed by the trade deadline, then you definitely have to think about trading him and there would be no shortage of teams bidding on a 1C with an expiring contract.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Your semi-colon didn't divide up two independent clauses (which is the function of a semi-colon), it divided an independent clause with a dependent clause. You started your second clause with the word "and", which is a conjuction and therefore isn't able to go at the start of an independent clause. In your post if you would have used a comma instead of a semi-colon then it would have been grammatically correct. It's literally my job to correct people's grammar.

Duly noted. I actually had the comma in my text first and then went back and changed it to a semi-colon. I almost edited it back because it still didn't feel right to me. It has been years since I read "The Elements of Style" and have lost some of those skills. Now I know who I am hiring to edit my tell-all book on the industry where I am currently employed. The $h!t I have seen!

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Pierre McGuire just told mike Francesca that the Rags should do what they can to get Tavares.

My heart would shatter. He would take them to the next level

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
Pierre McGuire just told mike Francesca that the Rags should do what they can to get Tavares.

**** Pierre. If that happens I would stop being an Isles fan.

Last edited:

Kauskey

Mar 16, 2007
How about the fact that the team has made zero progress in the years he has been here and is run by a backup goalie who hasnt a clue?

Zero progress is a bit of an overstatement. The team's made the playoffs 3 out of the past 5 years, and the season prior they made it further than they have since the early 90's. They would have made it this year if not for Snow's terrible handling of the goalie situation and Capuano. Snow will likely be replaced once the arena issue is settled. As for the actual team, I think he enjoys being out of the limelight. Considering he grew up under a microscope I think that goes a long way. He gets to play in a big market, but also gets to fly under the radar. But thats just speculation. Who really knows what he's thinking? I won't blame him if he leaves.

No doubt the Rangers should do everything possible to get JT...so should Boston and Ottawa and Toronto and Montreal and all of the other teams in the league. Will they be able to afford him? That's a different question.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016

Pierre Maguire can go and f himself, that ass kissing piece of garbage he is

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

I posted this on the Devils board this morning. He's probably too loyal to do that, the money difference would have to be insane compared to what we offered. He's staying here or he's going to Toronto/Edmonton/Buffalo. A place with long long term winning potential. I don't see him going anywhere if he left that was not a young loaded team.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I posted this on the Devils board this morning. He's probably too loyal to do that, the money difference would have to be insane compared to what we offered. He's staying here or he's going to Toronto/Edmonton/Buffalo. A place with long long term winning potential. I don't see him going anywhere if he left that was not a young loaded team.

Absent a 10% increase in the cap, TOR and EDM will have a very hard time taking on JT's contract once all their young guys come off ELCs. The cap is flat and will continue to be so for another 2-3 years.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I can't imagine the Islanders NOT signing Tavares. I would assume the 8 year 10 million would get it done. I would bet anything it'll be done on or shortly after July 1st 2017. He's not going anywhere folks. These new owners know he's the franchise. They are trying to get a new arena. That would mean nothing if they didn't have a franchise player. Plus, they tried to sign Stamkos, it didn't work, so guess where that money is going ? A brand new fresh 10 year contract for Tavares. I have no doubt in my mind it gets done.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I can't imagine the Islanders NOT signing Tavares. I would assume the 8 year 10 million would get it done. I would bet anything it'll be done on or shortly after July 1st 2017. He's not going anywhere folks. These new owners know he's the franchise. They are trying to get a new arena. That would mean nothing if they didn't have a franchise player. Plus, they tried to sign Stamkos, it didn't work, so guess where that money is going ? A brand new fresh 10 year contract for Tavares. I have no doubt in my mind it gets done.

Odds are nobody offers more money than us or if they do they're insane. Its unlikely if he leaves that it was due to money.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island

Putting the cart before the horse a little, no?

They don't have a new area in place, or even a guaruntee that one will be in place.

Furthermore, in Tavares eight years, what have we done to field a legit contender? We have signed place holders for the prospects that haven't developed accordingly or were traded like Nino.

I'm not saying Tavares will leave, but I don't think it's as much of a slam dunk as fans think.

I am sitting at 40/60 that he signs.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Think the odds are genuinely 50 50 and I'm not gonna bother thinking about it... just gonna wait and see what happens. Will be devestated if he decides to go

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Duly noted. I actually had the comma in my text first and then went back and changed it to a semi-colon. I almost edited it back because it still didn't feel right to me. It has been years since I read "The Elements of Style" and have lost some of those skills. Now I know who I am hiring to edit my tell-all book on the industry where I am currently employed. The $h!t I have seen!

As an English teacher my biggest pet-peeve is the misuse of the semi-colon...I couldn't resist. :laugh: No hard feelings!

Back on topic, I think we have a decent chance at re-signing JT (not a slam dunk), but I don't think he'll re-sign until hitting free agency.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Staple tweeted an interview with Brisson and when asked about JT said they'll talk in June and JT like the direction the new owners are moving.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Staple tweeted an interview with Brisson and when asked about JT said they'll talk in June and JT like the direction the new owners are moving.

That's nice to hear from a Brisson. I wonder if Ledecky offered Brisson the Team President job or just interviewed him?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

"Likes the direction" I would think that means he is privy to the Isles arena plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad