Player Discussion: John Tavares II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
I think they have to trade him.

What would change his mind in a year?

If anything, the players the Isles bring in this offseason is the last chance to sway him to stay if he is on the fence. Plus finally figuring out where this team is going to play going forward and their plans for the future when we have tons of cap room after next season.

Holding on to him is the wrong move. What if he gets hurt and is out the whole season. You lose him for nothing.
How many of these players are there? Few.

Can you get one back? No.

Can you draft one with a first overall every year? No.

Will we be getting a first overall anytime soon to try? No.

Can you get value back when everyone knows you need to trade him? No.

Can you get value back if the expectation is he wants to go to FA? No.

Can you get value back if there are only a couple teams that can afford him cap wise? No.

Can you get off to a hot start and have a successful year with him, make the POs and maybe do some damage? Yes.

Can that change his mind? Yes.

Can a lot of other things happen in a year to change his mind (like, say, Hamonic changing his mind)? Yes.

IMO, trading him is stupid. He's easily a top-10, arguably a top-5 talent. Do everything for a year to convince him. Hell, let him test FA and tell him you'll match whatever he gets + something no one else can give him: the 8th year.

These players don't move in their prime for a reason.

You keep him and try to win now.

All that said, I think he stays and signs pretty quickly. There's risk for him as well. He could get hurt, etc. and I think he wants to be there.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
How many of these players are there? Few.

Can you get one back? No.

Can you draft one with a first overall every year? No.

Will we be getting a first overall anytime soon to try? No.

Can you get value back when everyone knows you need to trade him? No.

Can you get value back if the expectation is he wants to go to FA? No.

Can you get value back if there are only a couple teams that can afford him cap wise? No.

Can you get off to a hot start and have a successful year with him, make the POs and maybe do some damage? Yes.

Can that change his mind? Yes.

Can a lot of other things happen in a year to change his mind (like, say, Hamonic changing his mind)? Yes.

IMO, trading him is stupid. He's easily a top-10, arguably a top-5 talent. Do everything for a year to convince him. Hell, let him test FA and tell him you'll match whatever he gets + something no one else can give him: the 8th year.

These players don't move in their prime for a reason.

You keep him and try to win now.

All that said, I think he stays and signs pretty quickly. There's risk for him as well. He could get hurt, etc. and I think he wants to be there.

Totally agree. Look at Stamkos and his situation. He said he was going to test UFA, trade rumors and then? Eventually signs back with TB.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Really? You're really worried about $500,000???

C'mon.

Give him what's fair(ie.: The Max). If it's $11 mil, it's $11 mil. As others have said, McDavid and Matthews are gonna pass that anyway before long. He's well worth it. I don't think we're ever gonna be concerned about how much we're paying JT. Besides, what's the alternative? That's right, no JT and someone else pays him. Good organizations keep star players at any cost.

you really comparing McDavid and Matthews to Tavares? McDavid and Matthews are true franchise changing players, 1-2 years of them look at how those franchises have turned around, Tavares is a guy who is not in that "Elite" category and is a guy who is going to in all likely meddle around the 65-85 Point per year for the duration of that contract, not exactly a guy who is really worth that "elite" contract, even 10x8 is high, I don't think on the open market he is going to get more than a 9X7

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
No, you don't. You still have 365 days to get him to change his mind. And a lot can happen in that time to change his mind.

anyone who thinks there is a chance in hell that Tavares is going to re-sign if he is saying no to a 8X10 offer on July 1st is pretty much in denial

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Looks like Tavares was playing with a broken hand this year and torn tendons. Some of you are right...i'm sure he is looking to bail lol

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
anyone who thinks there is a chance in hell that Tavares is going to re-sign if he is saying no to a 8X10 offer on July 1st is pretty much in denial

These are the same people who thought JT would convince Vanek to sign a long term deal.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS

Ok, so what if he says, "you know, I love it here and would like to stay, but I'm only UFA once and would at least like to kick the tires and compare your offer to what's out there"?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
you really comparing McDavid and Matthews to Tavares? McDavid and Matthews are true franchise changing players, 1-2 years of them look at how those franchises have turned around, Tavares is a guy who is not in that "Elite" category and is a guy who is going to in all likely meddle around the 65-85 Point per year for the duration of that contract, not exactly a guy who is really worth that "elite" contract, even 10x8 is high, I don't think on the open market he is going to get more than a 9X7
The guys you mentioned are certainly impact players but making it sound like they singlehandedly carried their teams with no help just isn't true. I don't think there is a star player in the league who has less help than JT. If you don't think he is elite remember this: he made Matt Moulson a 40 goal scorer and a millionaire. Think about that for a minute.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
hes not elite and he never made moulson a 40 goal man.

Tied for 5th in the league for total points over the last 3 seasons (tied with Tarasenko and Seguin).

Seems pretty elite to me, unless one believes there were only 4 elite offensive players over that time period.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Ok, so what if he says, "you know, I love it here and would like to stay, but I'm only UFA once and would at least like to kick the tires and compare your offer to what's out there"?

when has there ever been a high profile free agent go to free agency and go back to their regular team, they are always going to another team, if Tavares is not re-signed by training camp and he has given every indication he is going to wait until see his offers on July 1st 2018 you have to trade him, he is not going to re-sign and allowing him to walk for nothing is going to hurt this team so much

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Looks like Tavares was playing with a broken hand this year and torn tendons. Some of you are right...i'm sure he is looking to bail lol

I remember him getting a real hard slash one game. My first thought was "his hand was broken." The cameras then focused on the trainer looking at his hand on the bench and He kept playing. I thought the Isles had dodged a bullet. Makes sense now.

He's awesome and I hope he signs for the full eight years. He's not the most naturally skilled player. But he has a smart hockey mind, great vision and a tireless effort to improve.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I remember in November there were some here that were seriously suggesting snow should trade Tavares before this years deadline.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006

So the Isles shouldn't re-sign the face of their franchise and one of the best players they've ever had, in his prime, for $10mil for 8yrs but some other team is going to sign him for 1 mil per less and 1 year less, and that's OK?

I'll agree to disagree.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I'm glad you're not JT. Are you suggesting he should see what the Rangers have to say? Seriously though, I understand what you're saying with regard to the arena. Hopefully, there's a lot more going on behind the scenes, with a much clearer picture of the future than what we've been shown.

For his career's sake...yes I'd say he should hear what every other team is willing to offer him.

I'd sign JT to a 8 year/$10million per year deal in a heartbeat...hell I'd give him $12 a year. Are we really going to let the only star player of many poster's lifetimes walk just so we can sign yet another overpaid 3rd liner? Really people? Get it done.

With that said I think JT's moving on...but anybody hoping for it, regardless of the contract, makes me scratch my head.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
when has there ever been a high profile free agent go to free agency and go back to their regular team, they are always going to another team, if Tavares is not re-signed by training camp and he has given every indication he is going to wait until see his offers on July 1st 2018 you have to trade him, he is not going to re-sign and allowing him to walk for nothing is going to hurt this team so much

First, periods as punctuation are your friend.

Second, are you serious or was this sarcasm? I only ask because if it was serious, Steve Stamkos says hello! That was just last year.

And there is a good interview up on Tsn.ca, I believe under "Leafs Lunch", where they talk a bit about the relationship between Stamkos and Tavares; and it sounds like Tavares has spoken to Stamkos about his contract year/free agency experience.

It is worth listening to.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
First, periods as punctuation are your friend.

Second, are you serious or was this sarcasm? I only ask because if it was serious, Steve Stamkos says hello! That was just last year.

And there is a good interview up on Tsn.ca, I believe under "Leafs Lunch", where they talk a bit about the relationship between Stamkos and Tavares; and it sounds like Tavares has spoken to Stamkos about his contract year/free agency experience.

It is worth listening to.

If you're going to correct the grammar of other people, make sure that your post doesn't contain any grammatical errors when doing so. Your post contains several fragments, few complete sentences, and you used a semi-colon incorrectly. I hate being a grammar Nazi, but if you're going to throw rocks...make sure you don't live in a glass house first.

Last edited:

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I like to read this thread to remind me that I hate many of our own fans more than fans of any of the Islanders rivals.

Lol, well hate is a strong word. But I understand your frustration and a bit of loathing of certain aspects of the fanbase.

In order to maintain my patience and cool, I just imagine that they are very young fans who don't know any better. I know it isn't necessarily true, but it helps. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad