Player Discussion: John Tavares II

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
As an English teacher my biggest pet-peeve is the misuse of the semi-colon...I couldn't resist. :laugh: No hard feelings!

Back on topic, I think we have a decent chance at re-signing JT (not a slam dunk), but I don't think he'll re-sign until hitting free agency.
But other than English teachers I don't think there is anyone else in America who knows how to use a semi-colon. When I went to college I had to do a proficiency exam and the teacher later told me that if someone properly used a semi-colon he passed them on the spot.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
You missed the entire point. I don't mind spelling or other minor grammatical misques. I rarely bring them up since sometimes auto-correct changes what we type and nobody is perfect, however, throw in a period and some capitalization every once and a while for God's sake.

Reading a run-on paragraph without any stops or starts is maddening. It also makes you look like you are ranting without thinking things through and lessens the impact and ability for further discussion. Which seems like the case since Stamkos (just last year) immediately disproves the original poster's point.

We should strive for intelligent and continued discussion not half-@$$ed rants and ramblings. Unless that is what you are into, then carry on.

Maybe you should take a breather. It's quite possible there are several Islander fans out there that aren't native English speakers. Cut people some slack and consider the Islanders family a global community where some may not be able to adhere to your strict levels of writing and maybe just want to come on here and talk about their favorite team. As another person who has to correct grammar for a living, I find it unnecessary to do in my free time. Perhaps you should take the same route.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Pierre Maguire can go and f himself, that ass kissing piece of garbage he is

Why in the hell would anyone be upset with Maguire suggesting something that is so obvious. In two years Ryan McDonagh is going to be a UFA. If he suggested the Isles should go get him would that be wrong?

If JT goes to the rangers (or any other team) that is 1000000% a failure of snow and Ledecky/Malkin to keep him. Don't blame anyone else for that...Or having a good idea.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
As an English teacher my biggest pet-peeve is the misuse of the semi-colon...I couldn't resist. :laugh: No hard feelings!

Back on topic, I think we have a decent chance at re-signing JT (not a slam dunk), but I don't think he'll re-sign until hitting free agency.

Like I said, I knew it didn't look right to me and now I know the rule again, without having to look it up. My biggest pet peeve is the unnecessary use of "that" in a sentence where it isn't needed.

As for the topic at hand, I have a feeling he is signed in July. There will be some traction on the arena issue to calm any concern, a move will be made to add a solid player and then JT will be extended. I don't think he wants any part of what Stamkos experienced.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
But other than English teachers I don't think there is anyone else in America who knows how to use a semi-colon. When I went to college I had to do a proficiency exam and the teacher later told me that if someone properly used a semi-colon he passed them on the spot.

I got a 700 Verbal on the old school SAT and I still have no freaking clue how to use a semi-colon properly. My ex-girlfriend was a middle school English teacher and tried to explain it to me. I would understand calculus before learning how to use semi-colon.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Maybe you should take a breather. It's quite possible there are several Islander fans out there that aren't native English speakers. Cut people some slack and consider the Islanders family a global community where some may not be able to adhere to your strict levels of writing and maybe just want to come on here and talk about their favorite team. As another person who has to correct grammar for a living, I find it unnecessary to do in my free time. Perhaps you should take the same route.

OK let me be clear because I guess my initial response to the OP was misconstrued. I was (at least partially) joking when I said the OP should throw in some periods. I tend to be sarcastic and was being facetious when I said that. I wasn't intentionally bashing or ripping on anyone but I was trying to bust stones a bit. After all, once I read that rather long run-on sentence/paragraph I think I contracted vertigo and passed out for a spell.

And my initial response and point was that we saw Stamkos go to free agency and still return to his original team. It sounded like that was clearly forgotten or overlooked so we could perpetuate the fear engine trying to gain steam around here. And I believe Hank took until December of his walk year to re-sign with the Rag$. People were talking about him possibly leaving NYC and nothing came of it. I am sure we could dig up more occurrences, both for and against, but each case is different.

There seems to be a lot of fear and worrying around here for no good reason. One thing Snow has done well, perhaps too well, is lock up players that are deemed part of the core. Vanek left but that wasn't surprising at all and was ultimately a blessing in disguise. Nielsen walked but they were shooting for Stamkos and I can't blame them for going after him, trying to land a second star. And while Nielsen is a short-term hit now, not signing him might allow the Isles far more financial flexibility and they might be able to get a better 2C or get better elsewhere.

My point is, I think we need to calm down and let things play out. Nothing can be done until July 1, right? And even if it takes longer, the Isles realistically have until the NHL trade deadline but it hopefully won't come anywhere close to that date. Although if they cannot get JT signed by then, there would be no shortage of teams bidding for a 1C with an expiring contract. Probably just as many teams as there would be if you put him on the trade block today.

The only real problem would be if JT doesn't want to sign, strings the Isles along and then gets hurt. If they couldn't trade a healthy JT, then you can start worrying. But it sounds like he is going to give them an answer in July and then we will know what is going on.

So maybe we can just wait, see what happens and not assume the worst is going to come to pass? It seems like some Isles fans are all too eager to constantly complain and dream up doomsday scenarios. I know misery loves company but can we back away from the ledge for now at least? I know I have no interest in worrying about something that I don't have any control over and might not even come to pass.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/mckenzie-studies-tavares-price-contract-extension-situations/

Man does Staple get praised in this article

“It’s hard to say,” answered McKenzie. “The Staple report – is it an actual report. Because I was watching the game (Monday night) and Martin Biron said, ‘Oh, Islanders have offered eight years, $10 million to John Tavares.’

“And I said, ‘Really? I haven’t seen that. Where’s that?’

“And he said, ‘Arthur Staple.’

“And I said, ‘Oh, Arthur’s a real good reporter, so if he reported that I’m sure it’s true.’

“So as I say, if there’s been an actual report since then… it’s interesting. And if Arthur is saying they’re likely to do it, then they are likely to do it. But I think we’ve got to be careful there just on how we frame that.”

As both McKenna and McKenzie noted, Staple’s reporting is golden.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Staple is kinda like Snow. He's pretty good at the stuff he does. The problem is the stuff he doesn't do.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Staple is kinda like Snow. He's pretty good at the stuff he does. The problem is the stuff he doesn't do.

He's a reporter, not a fan. Staple has serious credibility around the league because of exactly how he operates, he is there to report on the happenings of the team for the local paper/news. He's been on the NHL beat for over a decade.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
care to tell me in what season matt moulson scored 40 goals?

OK 36 goal scorer. Obviously I was exaggerating greatly. Also had 3 straight 30+ seasons with JT. The general point that I was making (that JT made MM a real productive player) still stands.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

I got a 700 Verbal on the old school SAT and I still have no freaking clue how to use a semi-colon properly. My ex-girlfriend was a middle school English teacher and tried to explain it to me. I would understand calculus before learning how to use semi-colon.

Semicolons aren't complicated; they can be used to replace a period between two related sentences.

There are other uses too, but that's the most common one.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
OK let me be clear because I guess my initial response to the OP was misconstrued. I was (at least partially) joking when I said the OP should throw in some periods. I tend to be sarcastic and was being facetious when I said that. I wasn't intentionally bashing or ripping on anyone but I was trying to bust stones a bit. After all, once I read that rather long run-on sentence/paragraph I think I contracted vertigo and passed out for a spell.

And my initial response and point was that we saw Stamkos go to free agency and still return to his original team. It sounded like that was clearly forgotten or overlooked so we could perpetuate the fear engine trying to gain steam around here. And I believe Hank took until December of his walk year to re-sign with the Rag$. People were talking about him possibly leaving NYC and nothing came of it. I am sure we could dig up more occurrences, both for and against, but each case is different.

There seems to be a lot of fear and worrying around here for no good reason. One thing Snow has done well, perhaps too well, is lock up players that are deemed part of the core. Vanek left but that wasn't surprising at all and was ultimately a blessing in disguise. Nielsen walked but they were shooting for Stamkos and I can't blame them for going after him, trying to land a second star. And while Nielsen is a short-term hit now, not signing him might allow the Isles far more financial flexibility and they might be able to get a better 2C or get better elsewhere.

My point is, I think we need to calm down and let things play out. Nothing can be done until July 1, right? And even if it takes longer, the Isles realistically have until the NHL trade deadline but it hopefully won't come anywhere close to that date. Although if they cannot get JT signed by then, there would be no shortage of teams bidding for a 1C with an expiring contract. Probably just as many teams as there would be if you put him on the trade block today.

The only real problem would be if JT doesn't want to sign, strings the Isles along and then gets hurt. If they couldn't trade a healthy JT, then you can start worrying. But it sounds like he is going to give them an answer in July and then we will know what is going on.

So maybe we can just wait, see what happens and not assume the worst is going to come to pass? It seems like some Isles fans are all too eager to constantly complain and dream up doomsday scenarios. I know misery loves company but can we back away from the ledge for now at least? I know I have no interest in worrying about something that I don't have any control over and might not even come to pass.

I see, lol. I'm much more self conscious nowadays as a teacher of English as a foreign language. It take a lot of guts for folks who don't have English as their first language to try to communicate in it, so didn't want to discourage anybody from posting.

I can totally empathize with the run-on sentence thing though. Try revisiting Black Beauty. That woman was a nutcase with her long drawn out sentences. Even though her sentences were constructed correctly, they were entirely too long to not get fed up with them, lol.

As far as the JT thing is concerned, as long as he gives an answer in July we'll be fine either way. If he chooses to string them along it could devastate the franchise. Plenty to worry about but let's just hope we get a real answer July 1st or before the next season begins.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Semicolons aren't complicated; they can be used to replace a period between two related sentences.

There are other uses too, but that's the most common one.

I had a semicolonoscopy once, hurt like a motherXXXXXX.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
First, periods as punctuation are your friend.

Second, are you serious or was this sarcasm? I only ask because if it was serious, Steve Stamkos says hello! That was just last year.

And there is a good interview up on Tsn.ca, I believe under "Leafs Lunch", where they talk a bit about the relationship between Stamkos and Tavares; and it sounds like Tavares has spoken to Stamkos about his contract year/free agency experience.

It is worth listening to.

I don't think Stamkos made it to free agency. He only made it to June 28th, so no other team offered him anything.

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
I came here to learn about JTs status, and will leave an expert on semi-colons...nice bonus. :)

If he stays with you guys, they need to get this wrapped up before the season. Everyone will say it wouldnt be a distraction, but it will be. Shattenkirk was a huge distraction all year until he was finally traded, and then we got better. (Not comparing the two players, JT is far more superior, obviously)

The only logical solution is to trade him to STL. :) Not sure what it would take, but he is exactly what the doctor ordered for us. We need a true 1C. We need help on the PP. And there could be some real magic with him Terasenko and Schwartz.

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
I don't think Stamkos made it to free agency. He only made it to June 28th, so no other team offered him anything.

Does that include the new "courting" period where you can talk to other UFAs, but just cant sign them until July 1? I cant remember how long that time period is, I am pretty sure its at least a few days though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA