Player Discussion: John Tavares II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
He is soooo outa here after 17-18 season.
He became a power forward because nobody else would go behind the net and fight for the puck .
He often turns it over trying to do to much because nobody helps him or can keep up with him.okposo sometimes.
He gets frustrated and sometimes takes bad penalties because he get his azz beat out there and nobody protects / stands up for him.
The coach doesn't coach.
The players aren't there to win a cup, just to get a paycheck.
The scoreboard is off center and honky the car is against the glass.
Never traded for or drafted a second top talent to elevate the franchise.
He can be traded after this year. With 2 years left on the contract we would get quite the haul for him.
He ain't stayin
Nope

Yeah , he's outa here.

coachdny

Aug 20, 2010
That's the spirit.

Hey.. If Stamkos is looking to get out of Tampa, whats to say Taveras won't ?

You never know.. Both will end up together in Toronto and lead Toronto to the Cup. Maybe they've already discussed this.

Would you rather play for Snow and Clueless Jack or Lamariello and Babcock ? Exactly.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
hard to believe that his contract is nearing completion (yes, i see two full years remaining as nearing completion).

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
He's looked like butt this whole season... it's been a weird season in the NHL. Giroux, JT, Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin are all struggling, while smaller faster guys like Kane, Panarin, Gaudreau, Seguin have shined.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Gotta be honest, his future with us looks pretty grim at the moment. Of course time could change that, I still think if we don't advance past the 1st round before his contract expires, he's a goner.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Tavares is my favorite Islander, maybe one of my top 5 favorites of all time. But man does he look horrible this season, I really don't understand it. It's so heartbreaking to watch. His last three seasons he was so awesome, one of the top 10 players in the league, some had him in the top 5. This year he's not in the top 100. He's on pace for 57 points, which would barely outpace his rookie season. All I could say is, WTF ? Really sad display of hockey by him.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Tavares is my favorite Islander, maybe one of my top 5 favorites of all time. But man does he look horrible this season, I really don't understand it. It's so heartbreaking to watch. His last three seasons he was so awesome, one of the top 10 players in the league, some had him in the top 5. This year he's not in the top 100. He's on pace for 57 points, which would barely outpace his rookie season. All I could say is, WTF ? Really sad display of hockey by him.

He is either hiding an injury or has lost his confidence. JT goes nowhere near the net anymore. he is not going to score goals with 30 foot slapshots.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Would be nice if he had a Benn on his wing. Of course there is only 1 Benn but I'd settle for Toffoli

JT has never played with another Elite Talent. Look at what he did with the Slow Vanek and no training camp.

All he needs is a top end winger.

Benn and Sequine are awesome but together they are perfect. That's what JT needs.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Would be nice if he had a Benn on his wing. Of course there is only 1 Benn but I'd settle for Toffoli

JT has never played with another Elite Talent. Look at what he did with the Slow Vanek and no training camp.

Benn and Sequine are awesome but together they are perfect. That's what JT needs.

Give me Taylor Hall

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie

I totally agree, as its hard to soar like an eagle if you're always flying with a bunch of turkeys :shakehead and the frustration is showing on him and us fans :banghead:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'd take him. A lot of isles fans don't like him but I believe he's a legit sniper.

How is Hall a legit sniper when he's never had a 30 goal season? I wouldn't consider him a sniper, his shot is ordinary.

Hall is really talented, but his hockey IQ is down there at Okposo level.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
How is Hall a legit sniper when he's never had a 30 goal season? I wouldn't consider him a sniper, his shot is ordinary.

I guess it's the speed that gets me lol. He plays reckless as well. I think I'm just desperate for Johnny to have someone who is highly skilled play with him.

I'd take Eric Staal on his LW. His best years may be behind him but he's big and tented and only 31

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
I guess it's the speed that gets me lol. He plays reckless as well. I think I'm just desperate for Johnny to have someone who is highly skilled play with him.

I'd take Eric Staal on his LW. His best years may be behind him but he's big and tented and only 31

Staal has plenty left, hes just jaded as hes won a cup, been an allstar and got paid and is now stuck on a bottom team in Carolina.

Id make a trade for him and see how it plays out

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau

poor hall, if only seguin was taken first overall by edmonton, maybe hall would be the superstar by now and seguin would be the marginal first line player on the oilers. who knows how things could have turned out

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015

He's also a first round pick on the Oilers, which instantly makes him worse.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Staal has plenty left, hes just jaded as hes won a cup, been an allstar and got paid and is now stuck on a bottom team in Carolina.

Id make a trade for him and see how it plays out

I would disagree. He's got a TON of mileage on him. Close to 900 games. For a guy that relies on his legs as a key differentiator in his game, he's gonna be Vinny in 2/3 years, if not earlier.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'd be curious to see Staal with some talent again, but I agree that the risk is way too high.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
halo_4__wake_up_john_wallpaper_by_davejay7-d3ion9q.jpg

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Too bad Barzal is a center, otherwise he will be the perfect line-mate for JT. They both like to cycle and see the ice well, move the puck and pass accurately and have the same level of hockey IQ. Unless Isles can trade or acquire a top UFA winger, for the future 1st line, maybe play Lee-JT-Barzal, with Lee doing most of the screening, board work and score some dirty goals, the other two take care of the set up and finish. Strome need to play center and has to work on his faceoff wins. He and Nelson could be a good combination if he improves further. keep Kuleman as he is needed on the 3rd line and PK to play with resigned Nielsen and maybe play them with MDC (give he a few games and if need to go to AHL then send him down) as Nielsen can dish and carry the puck. When Josh Ho-Sang matures, he can replace Bailey eventually in the line-up on the 2nd line.

Need to draft another big forward (preferably with a RH shot) who can skate and play decent defense. Do not worry about if the player can score much as long as he can handle the puck, win most board battles, have decent pass and hockey IQ. For some players, the scoring may come later with increase in confidence. On the 3rd line, this is not that crucial.

By the way as long Josh Ho-Sang does not do anything dumb like being late in meeting or say something inappropriate to piss of his coach, teammates and fans off, Isles can use a bit of his cockiness and confidence. This is something that is somewhat lacking in Bailey that would have made him a better player.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad