Player Discussion: John Tavares II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
10 mil a year should make that hand feel better.

I'm hopeful it's somewhere in the 9.5 range but if 10 it what it takes then I'm more than fine.

#SignJohnnySign

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
It would be fantastic if this was done sometime in the next month. Knowing where we stand and what we need to do before the draft would be great.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It would be fantastic if this was done sometime in the next month. Knowing where we stand and what we need to do before the draft would be great.

It can't become official until July 1st but I guess the islanders and Tavares can have a verbal agreement.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
It can't become official until July 1st but I guess the islanders and Tavares can have a verbal agreement.

Yes. Can't officially sign until July first but it would be great if they had some type of verbal agreement.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island

I'm hopeful it's somewhere in the 9.5 range but if 10 it what it takes then I'm more than fine.

#SignJohnnySign

I'd max out at 11. I mean, to be fair the market is going to go up and unless Tavares wants to be team friendly yet again, I don't mind "overpaying."

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
I'd max out at 11. I mean, to be fair the market is going to go up and unless Tavares wants to be team friendly yet again, I don't mind "overpaying."

Agreed. Cap keeps going up...leads to an inflation in salaries. By the time matthews is ready for his big UFA deal the norm for players of JTs caliber will be 11. IF Jt was to go to FA the bidding starts at 7x10 so even if he signs for 10 per its a home town discount.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Agreed. Cap keeps going up...leads to an inflation in salaries. By the time matthews is ready for his big UFA deal the norm for players of JTs caliber will be 11. IF Jt was to go to FA the bidding starts at 7x10 so even if he signs for 10 per its a home town discount.
to think that 10 mil a year is a discount ... crazy.. get it done garf ...

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
No, you don't. You still have 365 days to get him to change his mind. And a lot can happen in that time to change his mind.

I think they have to trade him.

What would change his mind in a year?

If anything, the players the Isles bring in this offseason is the last chance to sway him to stay if he is on the fence. Plus finally figuring out where this team is going to play going forward and their plans for the future when we have tons of cap room after next season.

Holding on to him is the wrong move. What if he gets hurt and is out the whole season. You lose him for nothing.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006

#SignJohnnySign

Really? You're really worried about $500,000???

C'mon.

Give him what's fair(ie.: The Max). If it's $11 mil, it's $11 mil. As others have said, McDavid and Matthews are gonna pass that anyway before long. He's well worth it. I don't think we're ever gonna be concerned about how much we're paying JT. Besides, what's the alternative? That's right, no JT and someone else pays him. Good organizations keep star players at any cost.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
Really? You're really worried about $500,000???

C'mon.

Give him what's fair(ie.: The Max). If it's $11 mil, it's $11 mil. As others have said, McDavid and Matthews are gonna pass that anyway before long. He's well worth it. I don't think we're ever gonna be concerned about how much we're paying JT. Besides, what's the alternative? That's right, no JT and someone else pays him. Good organizations keep star players at any cost.

Especially since he took a VERY friendly contract his last one at 5.5

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
If I'm JT -- I don't commit to anything until this arena mess is cleared up -- and even then, Id still listen to offers from other teams.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
If I'm JT -- I don't commit to anything until this arena mess is cleared up -- and even then, Id still listen to offers from other teams.

I'm glad you're not JT. Are you suggesting he should see what the Rangers have to say? Seriously though, I understand what you're saying with regard to the arena. Hopefully, there's a lot more going on behind the scenes, with a much clearer picture of the future than what we've been shown.

Kauskey

Mar 16, 2007

This is the only issue that makes me think JT may not re-sign. I'm confident if the arena debacle was behind us he would stay. Imagine if he inks that 8-year deal, and then has to spend 6 years in Kansas City.

That being said, plz JT stay bb.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I'm glad you're not JT. Are you suggesting he should see what the Rangers have to say? Seriously though, I understand what you're saying with regard to the arena. Hopefully, there's a lot more going on behind the scenes, with a much clearer picture of the future than what we've been shown.

Im damn close -- hes a better skater, but Im the better sniper.

If you are JT -- what is one good hockey reason to stay with the Isles -- I cant think of one. NOT ONE.

You wanna stay b/c your fam likes living here? Ok -- thats fine -- but that about all i got.

This is the only issue that makes me think JT may not re-sign. I'm confident if the arena debacle was behind us he would stay. Imagine if he inks that 8-year deal, and then has to spend 6 years in Kansas City.

That being said, plz JT stay bb.

How about the fact that the team has made zero progress in the years he has been here and is run by a backup goalie who hasnt a clue?

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006

If he's listening to offers from other teams, it means he's gone full FA, which would mean we probably will have traded him by then.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I think they have to trade him.

What would change his mind in a year?

If anything, the players the Isles bring in this offseason is the last chance to sway him to stay if he is on the fence. Plus finally figuring out where this team is going to play going forward and their plans for the future when we have tons of cap room after next season.

Holding on to him is the wrong move. What if he gets hurt and is out the whole season. You lose him for nothing.

You have to listen, you don't have to trade him.

He could change his mind based on the success of the team. He may not want to sign now because he isn't sure that the Isles' current core can compete for a Cup in the near future.

If you don't trade him, and the team plays well, he could change his mind and sign.

If, by the end of December, he isn't willing to sign, you have to move him before the deadline.

The thing is, you listen now in case you get blown away. But if not, you don't make a panic trade now. If all you are getting is a first and a prospect, you can get that at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad