John Shannon:April 9th 2018 will be known as Black Friday in the NHL

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
For all the "I've adapted to the modern game" malarkey he was spouting at the time of his hire, he's proved that he's still the same old guy. Insisted on playing Jared freaking Boll when there were other far better options, preaches accountability that clearly never applied to his favorites *cough*Bieksa*cough* Runs the top lines into the dirt so he can keep his 4th line of enforcers playing 4 minutes a night. Once they get a lead he gets locked into playing what amounts to a 30 minute penalty kill that never goes well. Just UGGGH

Sounds like the same guy he was in Toronto. Just awful.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
If the Caps don't go far, I think Tortz is gone. I agree with your suggestions.

The Caps problems are their roster. They’re built for an excellent regular season. They’re not in any way, shape, or form built for a deep postseason run. They just don’t have the tools or depth to make a run to the final.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Isn't black friday supposed to be bad?

These are all good and sound moves to me.

As someone who has a BA that covers economics --Black friday is now in the business world the make or break for most companies. Example of that is Toys R US--they had a very bad Black Friday and they knew by early December and that was when the company first nearly went under--but due to it being so close to Christmas they were given an extended credit line and that ran out 2 weeks ago

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
As a Kings fan, he's out of touch with the modern NHL.

His Cups weren't from back in the 90's.

I think the Kings made the right move in switching him out because he does seem like a guy that could have a shelf life and I think that team needed a change but I think he can still be an effective coach. He has had success with every team he has gone to and I think just because he prefers a more physical/defensive style doesn't mean he is out of touch.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If the Caps don't go far, I think Tortz is gone. I agree with your suggestions.

If the Caps don't win the Cup Trotz will not be re-signed. He won't be fired though as his contract is simply up after the season. Same thing as in Nashville, he wasn't fired.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
I think you could easily argue that the reason the PP sucks is that Chiarelli gave up Eberle and Hall and replaced them with Strome and Lucic.

That said I do agree that if only one goes it will likely be McLellan and that most likely both stay. It makes zero sense but then very little of what Katz does makes sense in terms of the hockey operations part of his team.
Eberle played his way off the PP last year and Hall wouldn't help PP1.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
His Cups weren't from back in the 90's.

I think the Kings made the right move in switching him out because he does seem like a guy that could have a shelf life and I think that team needed a change but I think he can still be an effective coach. He has had success with every team he has gone to and I think just because he prefers a more physical/defensive style doesn't mean he is out of touch.

He definitely has a shelf life. I think personally that he's out of touch, just because it's public knowledge the players didn't really Like him. And lastly, he will neuter any team that doesn't have the make up you're talking about.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
He definitely has a shelf life. I think personally that he's out of touch, just because it's public knowledge the players didn't really Like him. And lastly, he will neuter any team that doesn't have the make up you're talking about.

As for players not liking him I think that is an LA thing because they are still so close to having him.

The former Flames that talk about him love him. They all rave about how awesome he is/was, so it certainly isn't an all players didn't like him.

I will admit I am biased as he by fa my favorite coach in the NHL and the guy I would take to coach my team if given the choice. But I think his record stands for itself including 2 Cups in the last 6 years. I have a hard time believing the league has changed that much since his Cup wins.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
As for players not liking him I think that is an LA thing because they are still so close to having him.

The former Flames that talk about him love him. They all rave about how awesome he is/was, so it certainly isn't an all players didn't like him.

I will admit I am biased as he by fa my favorite coach in the NHL and the guy I would take to coach my team if given the choice. But I think his record stands for itself including 2 Cups in the last 6 years. I have a hard time believing the league has changed that much since his Cup wins.

We will see man. Times are changing.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
As a Kings fan, he's out of touch with the modern NHL.

The NHL hasn't changed so much in less than 4 years. Perhaps you're just trying to make sense of your team's reversal of fortune since then, even though it's likely because of other reasons.

I bet that Sutter is more in touch than you think. Coaches, especially the top ones, are more adaptable than fans tend to give them credit for, IMO. It's just that they have to adapt to the rosters given to them as much as to anything. Lombardi is the one who decided on the makeup of the team (i.e. big, slow, physical) and expected Sutter to get the most out of it.

I imagine that Sutter could get hired by a team that is faster and more skilled and we'd see a different side of him, a style of play that we didn't see in LA because he wasn't given the players to execute it. I think that we'd be surprised at how successful he could still be if given the right team.

I'm pretty sure that that's wrong and that the Kings players loved him, especially when things were going well for the team. I wouldn't construe a few rumors of players being frustrated with losing or not liking their usage, him not being let in on a players-only team meeting or the player being positive about a new voice in the dressing room as widespread dislike of him.

Last edited:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Is there another GM out there who won a Cup, 2 Conference titles and President's Trophy to replace him?

Are you reminding us that Chia knows a thing or two about winning?

I can see Sutter working well in EDM, for a while at least, before the seemingly inevitable player revolt.

What about Haskol? Is he in the mix to be fired?

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
Hopefully the Flames purge their coaching staff, I’ve had enough of their perimeter shot system.

Also Holland being the GM of Seattle would be intresting.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
The two teams I could see considering Darryl Sutter as head coach... Edmonton and Chicago.

thinking the same thing.. Though I think he would have more shelf life in Edmonton, lots of older guys in Chicago might not put up with him as long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad