John Shannon:April 9th 2018 will be known as Black Friday in the NHL

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I was listening to the Fan 960(in Calgary) and they had John Shannon on and were talking about management issues and coaches that may be fired, and this is what John Shannon said:

- April 9th 2018 will be known as Black Friday in the NHL because 8-10 coaches maybe fired.

- There will be a domino effect, where one coach is fired and teams want a shot at that coach. And John Shannon said that coach maybe Joel Quenneville.

- There is a power struggle in Chicago between Joel Quenneville and Stan Bowman, it is hard to know who has the hammer but not both of them will be there, one of Joel Quenneville or Stan Bowman will be let go. Joel Quenneville does not see eye to eye with Stan Bowman, Joel Quenneville was not happy about Saad for Panarin.

- Darryl Sutter has offers from 2 teams, Darryl Sutter wants to coach. John Shannon knows the 2 teams but he refused to say which ones they were.

- There maybe 1 or 2 surprise firing that will come out of field left, he said not say much here.

- Ken Holland will have the chance to decide for himself if he wants to stay in Detroit, according to John John Shannon, he has heard 3 stories over the last 3 weeks and they are 1.) Ken Holland will resign in Detroit. 2.) Ken Holland will not be resigned in Detroit. 3) Ken Holland will become the GM of the new Seattle team. John Shannon mentions that he expects Ken Holland will be in Detroit, by trading Tomas Tatar for picks, it sends a message that Ken Holland will be in Detroit.

- Edmonton will make a change at the GM position or in the coaching position.

Please note that is not from me but from John Shannon, I missed some of the interview but when I got in my car to go to work,I turned on the radio to Fan 960 and this was on.

Any guesses to the 8-10 coaches that will be fired?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Please Please Please go to Seattle,Kenny.

Bowman should be gone from Chicago. He's made some really bad moves the last few years. Can't comment on quenville. Don't watch Chicago enough to dissect the minutiea of his coaching. But I gotta think bowman has to be on the hotter of the two seats.

Reactions: dk2k

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Why McLeean and not Chia? John Shannon did mention one of them will be let go.

Put simply, I think you can make the argument that the special teams have completely sunk the Oilers this year, and that probably earns Chiarelli one more coach.

I mean I wouldn't be shocked if they dropped both either, but I think generally when a team underperforms its the coach first, then GM.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I think AV is gone, the Rangers are rebuilding and AV is not the coach for a rebuild.

The Miller fiasco makes it seem like AV still has influence on present and future roster decisions.

As soon as JT was traded all that nonsense leaked about how uncoachable he was.

AV might have won out on that one.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Carlyle is among them. I doubt it would actually happen.... but that's pretty darn high on my wishlist.

Reactions: lwvs84

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah, Carolina seems like a no-brainer for the list since the new GM will likely be installing a coach of their choosing.

I hope Buffalo is one, but I have this terrible feeling Botterill will be old school enough to give Housley, who's been overmatched for most of this season, at least a couple of months next season, even if that will likely mean the year will be sunk before he's removed.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Carlyle is among them. I doubt it would actually happen.... but that's pretty darn high on my wishlist.

Please, tell me why? As a Leafs fan who loathed Carlyle just before he was fired, I would love to hear how bad he actually is.

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
I was listening to the Fan 960(in Calgary) and they had John Shannon on and were talking about management issues and coaches that may be fired, and this is what John Shannon said:

- April 9th 2018 will be known as Black Friday in the NHL because 8-10 coaches maybe fired.

- There will be a domino effect, where one coach is fired and teams want a shot at that coach. And John Shannon said that coach maybe Joel Quenneville.

- There is a power struggle in Chicago between Joel Quenneville and Stan Bowman, it is hard to know who has the hammer but not both of them will be there, one of Joel Quenneville or Stan Bowman will be let go. Joel Quenneville does not see eye to eye with Stan Bowman, Joel Quenneville was not happy about Saad for Panarin.

- Darryl Sutter has offers from 2 teams, Darryl Sutter wants to coach. John Shannon knows the 2 teams but he refused to say which ones they were.

- There maybe 1 or 2 surprise firing that will come out of field left, he said not say much here.

- Ken Holland will have the chance to decide for himself if he wants to stay in Detroit, according to John John Shannon, he has heard 3 stories over the last 3 weeks and they are 1.) Ken Holland will resign in Detroit. 2.) Ken Holland will not be resigned in Detroit. 3) Ken Holland will become the GM of the new Seattle team. John Shannon mentions that he expects Ken Holland will be in Detroit, by trading Tomas Tatar for picks, it sends a message that Ken Holland will be in Detroit.

- Edmonton will make a change at the GM position or in the coaching position.

Please note that is not from me but from John Shannon, I missed some of the interview but when I got in my car to go to work,I turned on the radio to Fan 960 and this was on.

Any guesses to the 8-10 coaches that will be fired?

I think Shannon is conflating the two trades. It was the Hammer trade that Q walked out after hearing about.
Niklas Hjalmarsson tries to move on after regrettable trade from Blackhawks

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Makes sense. It was very predictable no one was fired this season, but at the same time, that’s going to kick back sooner rather than later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad