John Shannon:April 9th 2018 will be known as Black Friday in the NHL

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
This might be the first year a coach does not get fired during the season in a very long time

that is why it will be black friday or the walk of shame day

Yes, this is the first year since 1967 that no coach has been fired during the regular season(the regular season is not over yet but it is highly unlikely that any coach does get fired during the regular season.)

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
As an Oiler Fan I think Chiarelli has to be the first to go. He is responsible for the roster and some atrocious moves .I haven't been a fan of McLellan but if Chia and McLellans assistants are atleast gone I'm satisfied.

But the next Coach if I have one request is that they coach with passion. McLellan is so passive on the bench it's painful .

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
There is a power struggle in Chicago between Joel Quenneville and Stan Bowman, it is hard to know who has the hammer but not both of them will be there, one of Joel Quenneville or Stan Bowman will be let go. Joel Quenneville does not see eye to eye with Stan Bowman, Joel Quenneville was not happy about Saad for Panarin.

I imagine at some point all GM/coach relationships become like that. The coach worries about today, the GM has to worry about today and tomorrow.

If you get rid of the GM, but keep the coach, how long is that going to work? How often has it happened, and how often has it worked? The new GM isn't going to submit to the coach.

Either get rid of the coach, or get rid of both.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Please, tell me why? As a Leafs fan who loathed Carlyle just before he was fired, I would love to hear how bad he actually is.

For all the "I've adapted to the modern game" malarkey he was spouting at the time of his hire, he's proved that he's still the same old guy. Insisted on playing Jared freaking Boll when there were other far better options, preaches accountability that clearly never applied to his favorites *cough*Bieksa*cough* Runs the top lines into the dirt so he can keep his 4th line of enforcers playing 4 minutes a night. Once they get a lead he gets locked into playing what amounts to a 30 minute penalty kill that never goes well. Just UGGGH

Reactions: BHD

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
I wish Benning would have the sack to fire Green and hire Quenneville if he becomes available.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Put simply, I think you can make the argument that the special teams have completely sunk the Oilers this year, and that probably earns Chiarelli one more coach.

I think you could easily argue that the reason the PP sucks is that Chiarelli gave up Eberle and Hall and replaced them with Strome and Lucic.

That said I do agree that if only one goes it will likely be McLellan and that most likely both stay. It makes zero sense but then very little of what Katz does makes sense in terms of the hockey operations part of his team.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
For all the "I've adapted to the modern game" malarkey he was spouting at the time of his hire, he's proved that he's still the same old guy. Insisted on playing Jared freaking Boll when there were other far better options, preaches accountability that clearly never applied to his favorites *cough*Bieksa*cough* Runs the top lines into the dirt so he can keep his 4th line of enforcers playing 4 minutes a night. Once they get a lead he gets locked into playing what amounts to a 30 minute penalty kill that never goes well. Just UGGGH
Damn that really does sound familiar lol Like that is basically him in a nut shell with Toronto.

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018
If Oilers upper management have any sense remaining, they'll boot Peter Chiarelli to the moon and attach Todd McLellan to him.

Is there another GM out there who won a Cup, 2 Conference titles and President's Trophy to replace him?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
8-10 is a lot. Too many I think.

Edmonton, Montreal, Chicago, Buffalo, Rangers, Islanders, Carolina? No idea outside the first few.
Which teams disppointed this season? Plus the 8-10 is both GM and coaches right?

Edm, Cal, Chi, 2 of Dal, Stl, Ana could be fired based on who misses the playoffs.

Mon, Car, Ott, NYI, NYR due to the new direction.

Plus, playoff disappointments could cost a couple of teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad