John Scott on Erik Karlsson

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It's certain players too. I mean even this year in the first game, Jumbo got into a mix to protect Sorensen. When Michalek got smoked by Morrow, no one stepped up, but that team had Clowe and Murray and Shelley (not sure if he played that game though).

Let's not also pretend that Hoffman jumped Karlsson and started throwing. He engaged him and immediate got separated by the refs. Kane was there immediately, ready to step in if needed, and so was Goodrow, PLUS the announcers also note how Dillon got involved verbally, probably saying to fight him instead.

That Dallas game was ~10 seconds away from going to overtime with their season in the balance. Can't really blame them for not reacting there.

Ot, but Morrow had one of the best series I've seen an opponent have against the Sharks. I'm sure players have had higher ppg totals, but he seemed to score a clutch goal every damn game.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
That Dallas game was ~10 seconds away from going to overtime with their season in the balance. Can't really blame them for not reacting there.

Ot, but Morrow had one of the best series I've seen an opponent have against the Sharks. I'm sure players have had higher ppg totals, but he seemed to score a clutch goal every damn game.

Totally, i hated him that series, particularly because i was on the east coast and stayed up until like 3am to watch him eliminate us.

I feel like in the late 2000's there were a few "sharks killers" that always seemed to score big goals against us, guys who were good players but not the stars who you'd expect to score. Selanne, Nolan, Morrow, Modano, to name a few, but blanking on some key examples :confused:

Reactions: Phu

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Totally, i hated him that series, particularly because i was on the east coast and stayed up until like 3am to watch him eliminate us.

I feel like in the late 2000's there were a few "sharks killers" that always seemed to score big goals against us, guys who were good players but not the stars who you'd expect to score. Selanne, Nolan, Morrow, Modano, to name a few, but blanking on some key examples :confused:

Same here. I’ll never forget that Nabby glove save. I was so pissed that game ended on a PP though. 3rd or 4th OT, outside of someone doing some Probert type crap or hogtying someone on a breakaway nothing should have been called. Also, I’ve never seen someone avoid contact on puck retrieval like I did with Brian Campbell during that playoff year. He made business decision after business decision during that ‘08 run. Glad we ended up with Boyle instead of re-signing him.

Reactions: PackShark and Phu

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
If Scott is talking to ex-teammates, who would it be? I can see Vlasic saying Karlsson talks a lot. I can see Couture and Karlsson maybe being different people (though I think they’ve gone to basketball games together). Burns and Karlsson seem to be friends... Joe and Karlsson seem to be friendly.

meh, if a couple of guys are BSing with Scott, I doubt it has to be a sign of a bigger issue.

Reactions: NWSharkie

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
If Scott is talking to ex-teammates, who would it be? I can see Vlasic saying Karlsson talks a lot. I can see Couture and Karlsson maybe being different people (though I think they’ve gone to basketball games together). Burns and Karlsson seem to be friends... Joe and Karlsson seem to be friendly.

meh, if a couple of guys are BSing with Scott, I doubt it has to be a sign of a bigger issue.
Pavs would have a reason to talk some trash.

Reactions: PackShark

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Its not entirely surprising tbh. But obviously the Sharks are coming off of a nightmare season, and wining changes everything. So if the Sharks start winning again with Karlsson playing a big role for them, everyone will probably forget all about this and get over it. Not all winning teams have friendly locker rooms either.

Having said that, as a Sens fan, I was always curious how Karlsson would adjust to a new locker room and team, especially one that already had a culture and key players well entrenched in it. I had doubts tbh, knowing that hes a guy that sort of likes being in the spotlight on and off the ice.

To say that he owned the Senators room and got preferential treatment (basically had optional practices for him under some coaches, and he used that privilege) would be a really huge understatement. Erik was the top dog, the undisputed leader and unwritten boss of the room. Every player had to fall in line and accept his good and bad personality traits with a big smile plastered on their face, because he was the franchise basically. And he was that good on the ice that it was impossible to argue with too.

Thats not to say that he was hated, or a bad guy at all. He was good with the kids for sure, and a loyal team mate. But he had a huge personality, and he was definitely not humble or shy about his abilities and status. And he seemed to enjoy the fact that he was basically the prince of Ottawa during his heyday there.

So now that hes comfortable and the contract is done in SJ, I will be very curious to see what happens next in the Sharks locker room over the next few seasons. I wonder who bends first, as in Karlsson taking another step back personality wise and blending in more with the SJ culture there, or if we see him try and start flexing a bit more and become the face of the team like he was during his time in Ottawa.

Last edited:
Reactions: RussianShark

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Honestly, I can easily imagine all those quotes being said in Vlasic’s voice. They seem like two very different human beings and Vlasic always seemed mildly irritated by Karlsson’s existence (and everyone else’s).

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Pavs would have a reason to talk some trash.

The quotes were that Karlsson was checked out though, so it would have been a player on the team this season.

Again, don't see Couture as the type to gossip to random media, and Hertl definitely doesn't seem the type to bad talk anyone ever. :laugh:

That pretty much leaves Thornton, Burns, Vlasic, and Dillon if what Scott says is even true. And out of all those, I couldn't care less what they think (and neither should the team) except Burns, who was even more checked out this season.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Honestly, this is old news since it was already discussed in January. But I always read it as Vlasic.

Vlasic is very short, and always comes across as a bit of a negative asshole. That's not to say he is, as I think a lot of it is a dry sense of humour and language differences.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Imagine if this was tactically edited to remove the fact that it was just about EK65 and his baby. Talking about his baby too much, thinking about his baby too much, would rather be home with the baby than be at the rink.

Reactions: Erep

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I liked him when he was here, but Scott seems to enjoy the sound of his own voice.

The entire team struggled this season. It felt like 02-03/14-15 from the start. I believe the combo of a long season last year, injuries, a lame duck coach the team had tuned out in the 1st round and went to the cf despite, and losing Pavs were bigger reasons than any opinion or 2nd hand story.

Also, losing the 39 goal, 70 pt heart and soul Pavs that likely won't ever return to that form. Not the 31 pt Dallas Star Pavs

Reactions: Reggae Shark

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Its not entirely surprising tbh. But obviously the Sharks are coming off of a nightmare season, and wining changes everything. So if the Sharks start winning again with Karlsson playing a big role for them, everyone will probably forget all about this and get over it. Not all winning teams have friendly locker rooms either.

Having said that, as a Sens fan, I was always curious how Karlsson would adjust to a new locker room and team, especially one that already had a culture and key players well entrenched in it. I had doubts tbh, knowing that hes a guy that sort of likes being in the spotlight on and off the ice.

To say that he owned the Senators room and got preferential treatment (basically had optional practices for him under some coaches, and he used that privilege) would be a really huge understatement. Erik was the top dog, the undisputed leader and unwritten boss of the room. Every player had to fall in line and accept his good and bad personality traits with a big smile plastered on their face, because he was the franchise basically. And he was that good on the ice that it was impossible to argue with too.

Thats not to say that he was hated, or a bad guy at all. He was good with the kids for sure, and a loyal team mate. But he had a huge personality, and he was definitely not humble or shy about his abilities and status. And he seemed to enjoy the fact that he was basically the prince of Ottawa during his heyday there.

So now that hes comfortable and the contract is done in SJ, I will be very curious to see what happens next in the Sharks locker room over the next few seasons. I wonder who bends first, as in Karlsson taking another step back personality wise and blending in more with the SJ culture there, or if we see him try and start flexing a bit more and become the face of the team like he was during his time in Ottawa.
EK is one of the players I worry least about. His 25 pt in 15 game stretch before tearing his groin last season showed what he's capable of doing when hitting his groove. He just needs to stay healthy.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

He's our best talent. Everyone else can fall in step. This organization needs a massive change. May as well build around Karlsson.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
He's our best talent. Everyone else can fall in step. This organization needs a massive change. May as well build around Karlsson.

If you want to get the very best out of Karlsson, it almost has to be that way. And with him being the highest paid player there, seems like this is how it should go.

But I will still be curious to see how some of the other Sharks core will react when being forced to "fall in line" to a polarizing player and personality like EK65 is.

As godly as his offense is, hes always had an unhealthy amount of critics, even during his absolute peak. And clearly his play hasnt won over his new teammates as of yet.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
If you want to get the very best out of Karlsson, it almost has to be that way. And with him being the highest paid player there, seems like this is how it should go.

But I will still be curious to see how some of the other Sharks core will react when being forced to "fall in line" to a polarizing player and personality like EK65 is.

As godly as his offense is, hes always had an unhealthy amount of critics, even during his absolute peak. And clearly his play hasnt won over his new teammates as of yet.
Yep. We're committed to him. The team needs a culture shift, and he's our best option at this point.

I'm not too concerned. Hertl won't care. Couture likely won't. Burns likely won't. Vlasic can f*** off. Not sure anyone else has enough pull to make a difference (aside from Jumbo, but he won't make waves). I'd honestly be fine moving on from Burns if he doesn't like the changes. Vlasic is all but gone, imo.

We need a major overhaul this offseason both in terms of personnel, and culture.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yep. We're committed to him. The team needs a culture shift, and he's our best option at this point.

I'm not too concerned. Hertl won't care. Couture likely won't. Burns likely won't. Vlasic can f*** off. Not sure anyone else has enough pull to make a difference (aside from Jumbo, but he won't make waves). I'd honestly be fine moving on from Burns if he doesn't like the changes. Vlasic is all but gone, imo.

We need a major overhaul this offseason both in terms of personnel, and culture.

The final statement you made was the consensus after the 2014-15 season. All they did really was make Pavelski captain and add a couple depth players. I tend to agree with the need to change the personnel and culture but the brass may not feel the same and they have some semblance of a reason why.

Reactions: CanadianSharks

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Thornton could still make waves if he thinks something is not good for the betterment of the team.

Like you said what vlasic says does not matter, he needs to be traded anyways.

Couture if it was him can go also. This would now be the 2nd time in his time here that he would of ran to management and or media to throw his team mates under the bus. Not counting him talking about specific players play on the ice.

Hertl is 50/50, i already stated he needs to be traded because of injury history to get something for him before his career is done in by knee injuries. But with no more injuries in his career he is the best chance to become even half of what thornton was to this team. So removing him for complaining about falling in line with karlsson is iffy.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Thornton could still make waves if he thinks something is not good for the betterment of the team.

Couture if it was him can go also. This would now be the 2nd time in his time here that he would of ran to management and or media to throw his team mates under the bus. Not counting him talking about specific players play on the ice.

Hertl is 50/50, i already stated he needs to be traded because of injury history to get something for him before his career is done in by knee injuries. But with no more injuries in his career he is the best chance to become even half of what thornton was to this team. So removing him for complaining about falling in line with karlsson is iffy.

What Couture incident are you talking about regarding managment? I still have 0 issue with what Couture has said to the media in the past. If anything, that adds to his character that this rumor isn't him. He isn't one to gossip to random media and hide behind anonymity.

Management unfortunately might take Thornton's critiques seriously, but they really shouldn't. This isn't his team anymore. Like I said, the big 4 are Couture, Hertl, Burns, and Karlsson. The rest of the team can leave if it bothers them that much.

Reactions: sjsharks92 and Erep

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

I'm not saying we trade a healthy Hertl, I'm saying I don't think he cares. Otherwise I think we agree.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
The final statement you made was the consensus after the 2014-15 season. All they did really was make Pavelski captain and add a couple depth players.

They also got a new starting goalie, which this team also desperately needs, but will be much more difficult to accomplish given the current contract situation

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I'm not saying we trade a healthy Hertl, I'm saying I don't think he cares. Otherwise I think we agree.

Yeah we agree. My willingness to trade hertl all stems from him being on the verge of being a cripple in terms of hockey players. 3 major knee surgeries before the age of 28 is not a good thing. But even then it is a very risky trade because of the potential he stays healthy for the last 10+ years of his career and hits his potential for someone else.

But i would not trade him over not falling in line with karlsson being the top dog. Which i highly doubt would ever come from him anyways, he loves the game and seems to have a very good amount of determination to be a winner and the best he can be. But him caring about someone else being better does not seem to be him.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
What Couture incident are you talking about regarding managment? I still have 0 issue with what Couture has said to the media in the past. If anything, that adds to his character that this rumor isn't him. He isn't one to gossip to random media and hide behind anonymity.

Management unfortunately might take Thornton's critiques seriously, but they really shouldn't. This isn't his team anymore. Like I said, the big 4 are Couture, Hertl, Burns, and Karlsson. The rest of the team can leave if it bothers them that much.

Pretty sure it was couture that was the one that went to management after one of the playoff failures and said that the team was co-workers. Or atleast that was the consensus here and i believe the belief from media.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad