John Scott on Erik Karlsson

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Vlasic's love for his dogs is kinda insane honestly. Granted, I know people like him with their fur babies but I also think they're kinda crazy too

there's nothing insane about it. humans have a deep connection with dogs going back hundreds of thousands of years. Its more domesticated humans that have lost touch with this. ;)

im one of those crazies btw. and unfortunately I lost my 16 year old girl during this quarantine. Rest In Peace sweet girl...

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
there's nothing insane about it. humans have a deep connection with dogs going back hundreds of thousands of years. Its more domesticated humans that have lost touch with this. ;)

im one of those crazies btw. and unfortunately I lost my 16 year old girl during this quarantine. Rest In Peace sweet girl...

Think you're overestimating the time frame there.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
True, but that is damning with the faintest of praise. Outside of Hertl, the big-money players on the team have disappointed (at least this season).

Even at there very best nobody on this team can come even close to karlsson skill. The only one that could was thornton but that was 10 years ago.

Reactions: Phu

sharkbyte

May 10, 2020
Orange, CA
OT, but Jumbo Joe had 82 points in 82 games and 21 points in 24 playoff games at the age of 36. That's a terrific season for anyone who's 26, let alone 36.

Realistically, for how many players in the league would 82 in 82 be a disappointment? Maybe McDavid, Crosby, Draisaitl, MacKinnon, Kucherov? Either way, not many

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
OT, but Jumbo Joe had 82 points in 82 games and 21 points in 24 playoff games at the age of 36. That's a terrific season for anyone who's 26, let alone 36.

Realistically, for how many players in the league would 82 in 82 be a disappointment? Maybe McDavid, Crosby, Draisaitl, MacKinnon, Kucherov? Either way, not many

Jumbo was fantastic that year. Honestly almost as impressive as the Hart season, imo. He was neck and neck for the points lead with Crosby and Kane for a good chunk of the year. That whole line was just lights-out.

I will never forgive Patric Hornqvist.

Reactions: Phu

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Jumbo was fantastic that year. Honestly almost as impressive as the Hart season, imo. He was neck and neck for the points lead with Crosby and Kane for a good chunk of the year. That whole line was just lights-out.

I will never forgive Patric Hornqvist.
He really didn't start playing great until December/January. He was lights out from that point on.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Last I heard, Thornton has been a bottom 6 player for about a decade. :laugh:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
True, but that is damning with the faintest of praise. Outside of Hertl, the big-money players on the team have disappointed (at least this season).

One aspect of big money players is the lost opportunity cost of using those dollars upgrading other players on the team. Spanky doesn't typically consider that, as if there is no such thing as salary caps. But there is, and it has a big factor.

The last two cup playoffs had no player on the roster with a cap hit of $10m or more. Spending more on a big name player doesn't obviously increase one's odds of make an appearance at the SCF. It it did, we'd see EDM and TOR in the finals, but we don't. In fact, TOR had three players above $10M last season.

Having the right mix and balance of players is what important, not having high paid players. I would call EK65 the best defensemen on the team either. He's defensive skills are not up to par with his salary. He's puck-moving and offensive skills are, though. So when one says a player is the best defenseman on the team, he probably should qualify that.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
One aspect of big money players is the lost opportunity cost of using those dollars upgrading other players on the team. Spanky doesn't typically consider that, as if there is no such thing as salary caps. But there is, and it has a big factor.

The last two cup playoffs had no player on the roster with a cap hit of $10m or more. Spending more on a big name player doesn't obviously increase one's odds of make an appearance at the SCF. It it did, we'd see EDM and TOR in the finals, but we don't. In fact, TOR had three players above $10M last season.

Having the right mix and balance of players is what important, not having high paid players. I would call EK65 the best defensemen on the team either. He's defensive skills are not up to par with his salary. He's puck-moving and offensive skills are, though. So when one says a player is the best defenseman on the team, he probably should qualify that.

These are fair enough points, but using a nominal cap hit to talk about salary distributions on a winner seems unfair. Wouldn't % make more sense? Plus, citing four teams and two seasons to make this claim seems tendentious as hell...

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California

The role of the average defenseman has changed so much in the past couple decades or so that I think this is an important point. Modern defensemen need to be able to play a two-way game and not just hit, clear the crease, or fight.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The role of the average defenseman has changed so much in the past couple decades or so that I think this is an important point. Modern defensemen need to be able to play a two-way game and not just hit, clear the crease, or fight.

Yeah karlsson and burns may not be as good as a prime vlasic at just purely playing the position defensively. But both of them are better at limiting 2nd/3rd/4th chances then vlasic was because once the puck gets on there sticks the puck is out of the zone.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
These are fair enough points, but using a nominal cap hit to talk about salary distributions on a winner seems unfair. Wouldn't % make more sense? Plus, citing four teams and two seasons to make this claim seems tendentious as hell...

exactly, using % is always more accurate. Pietrangelo and Tarasenko both signed for roughly 10-10.5% of the cap, but those was both pre 2105. Ovechkin was 18% of the cap when he signed his big deal. Those contracts look less hefty now as the cap has gone up.

The original point is still pretty strong. For years, many have made the argument that big money contracts, like with Kane, Burns, Vlasic, won't look so high in 2-4 years, though COVID-19 really sunk that ship

Reactions: WSS11

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
exactly, using % is always more accurate. Pietrangelo and Tarasenko both signed for roughly 10-10.5% of the cap, but those was both pre 2105. Ovechkin was 18% of the cap when he signed his big deal. Those contracts look less hefty now as the cap has gone up.

The original point is still pretty strong. For years, many have made the argument that big money contracts, like with Kane, Burns, Vlasic, won't look so high in 2-4 years, though COVID-19 really sunk that ship
I think all contracts are pre 2105. :naughty:

Yeah, this was a weird year in every way possible. Par for the course for Sharks fans though.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I agree that we are committed to Karlsson for better or worse. What kind of player do you think the Sharks need to add to build around him?
I'm anything but an expert, and don't know exactly how to answer this, but I think we need to draft more Merkley types at forward. Go for the absolute best talent you can in the draft. I think with Hertl and Couture, we've got some outstanding two way centres. We should go for a all offence guys, regardless of forward position, because our centres are versatile. For me, I most want a playmaking RW. Of course a Kucherov or Kane would be a pipe dream, but a guy like Radulov would be ideal, if not for his age. A guy who can create something out of nothing, pass, and shoot. But is mainly a playmaker.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->