John Scott on Erik Karlsson

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yeah we agree. My willingness to trade hertl all stems from him being on the verge of being a cripple in terms of hockey players. 3 major knee surgeries before the age of 28 is not a good thing. But even then it is a very risky trade because of the potential he stays healthy for the last 10+ years of his career and hits his potential for someone else.

But i would not trade him over not falling in line with karlsson being the top dog. Which i highly doubt would ever come from him anyways, he loves the game and seems to have a very good amount of determination to be a winner and the best he can be. But him caring about someone else being better does not seem to be him.
I'd be absolutely heartbroken to see Hertl leave, but if we have to do it...

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Keep it in the dressing room my god.

I hate when former players that lived by the rule of keeping it in the room hear dirt and then tell the world just for attention.

Piss off John Scott

Reactions: BigDmitriy

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Keep it in the dressing room my god.

I hate when former players that lived by the rule of keeping it in the room hear dirt and then tell the world just for attention.

Piss off John Scott

Even if everything he said is true, this entire thing reflects more poorly on John Scott than it does on anybody else, but Scott won’t get the negative attention for it because unlike Karlsson, he’s not relevant enough for it to stick.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
Even if everything he said is true, this entire thing reflects more poorly on John Scott than it does on anybody else, but Scott won’t get the negative attention for it because unlike Karlsson, he’s not relevant enough for it to stick.
Re: the bolded, he wasn't relevant enough for it to stick when he said it on the podcast. I listened to it when it came out, and it sounded like Scott bullshitting with his buddy the same way he did about Evander Kane. He's not super connected to the locker room any further than occasionally having dinner with his old teammates. The impression I got was that what likely happened is that he asked somebody about Karlsson's bench outbursts, the answer was something along the lines of "yeah, he talks, but that's it" (i.e. don't worry about it, he's just blowing off steam), and Scott either got it twisted or twisted it to fit the conversation he was having on the pod.

Thing is, that all came out and blew over while we were still playing hockey games. Nobody paid it any mind until Kurz went digging for something to drive clicks in this dead stretch. I don't blame Scott for being full of shit, that's part of his charm. But Kurz pretending he's a worthwhile journalistic source is lazy and hacky at best, and worse since he dug out a month-old snippet out of context without even reaching out to Scott for confirmation or clarification.

Reactions: Sandisfan

undercovernerd

Apr 18, 2014
Bend, OR / Bay Area, CA
yeah but if what’s being conveyed is true the difference is Boyle came in undrafted and busted his ass to get to where he did. He was one of the most competitive and from what I’ve read one of the most respected leaders in the room.

What I’ve seen in a couple different interviews is that Erik doesn’t have a strong offseason workout regiment, he has quit on the team when the going gets tough, and that it seems he’s not well liked amongst the locker room. There’s a difference between being a vocal leader that’s respected and one that just alienates you’re teammates.
Chastising a teammate publicly is not a good sign of leadership. Brassard eludes to that:

If Hoffman had jumped Boyle or Pavelski the way he did to EK65 in FLA, I’m betting the team would have intervened unlike they did for Karlsson. That’s the unsettling part.

You are right though. EK isn’t going anywhere so they’re going to have to sort it out in the locker room

First, I want to make it clear that I am in no way an EK65 defender. In-fact, some may remember that I was against signing him.

I was curious and found a short clip on the incident. These are my takeaways:

• Players on ice: EK65, EK9, Cooch, Goodie (either dillon or vlassic was in on the blue line)
  • EK9 immediately starts tracking the both of them
    • I think that the moment he finds out it was Hoffman, he realized that it's a beef between two men and didn't jump in (Thumbs up)
  • Goodrow is located near the net with his line of vision in the opposite direction
    • The moment he recognizes what's going on - he immediately skates towards EK65
  • Cooch skates in the middle of the two teams. Almost looks like he has words with Hoffman as well
  • Dylan or Vlassic (hard to tell) are just hanging around the blue line hoping EK65 gets slapped :)
The team certainly didn't just sit back and twiddle their thumbs.

On another note.. I ran past this clip on youtube between EK65 and Vlassic. I wonder if this had something to do with their somewhat odd working relationship

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
First, I want to make it clear that I am in no way an EK65 defender. In-fact, some may remember that I was against signing him.

I was curious and found a short clip on the incident. These are my takeaways:

• Players on ice: EK65, EK9, Cooch, Goodie (either dillon or vlassic was in on the blue line)
  • EK9 immediately starts tracking the both of them
    • I think that the moment he finds out it was Hoffman, he realized that it's a beef between two men and didn't jump in (Thumbs up)
  • Goodrow is located near the net with his line of vision in the opposite direction
    • The moment he recognizes what's going on - he immediately skates towards EK65
  • Cooch skates in the middle of the two teams. Almost looks like he has words with Hoffman as well
  • Dylan or Vlassic (hard to tell) are just hanging around the blue line hoping EK65 gets slapped :)
The team certainly didn't just sit back and twiddle their thumbs.

On another note.. I ran past this clip on youtube between EK65 and Vlassic. I wonder if this had something to do with their somewhat odd working relationship

If that is something that vlasic or karlsson have an issue with then wow that is pretty sad.

And would be weird because it seems like vlasic is the one that has all the issues with karlsson and not karlsson having an issue with vlasic like it should be from that incident.

And to add to the players and what they did part. It was vlasic on the ice then as soon as he seen the scrum start he went to the bench or something because dillon was on the ice as soon as the scrum broke off and then he went to have words with hoffman.

Last edited:

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Part of being the highest paid player and leader of the team is not being afraid to yell at a guy on the bench. These guys are big boys, but sometimes it's better to be put in your place by a teammate than hearing it from the coaches.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Part of being the highest paid player and leader of the team is not being afraid to yell at a guy on the bench. These guys are big boys, but sometimes it's better to be put in your place by a teammate than hearing it from the coaches.

I think some people just confuse yelling at someone for not making a play and yelling at someone who stopped trying in a playoff game

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
You can yell at your teammates all you want if you have earned their respect as a teammate and a leader. Has he? He hasn’t earned my respect at all. He’s my least favorite Shark since Heatley.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You can yell at your teammates all you want if you have earned their respect as a teammate and a leader. Has he? He hasn’t earned my respect at all. He’s my least favorite Shark since Heatley.

He's made a major positive impact, played through severe injuries in the playoffs, and signed with the Sharks before testing the waters of UFA. If anybody on the team doesn't respect him, that's a problem with them.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

Not directed at you, just using your post with the clip for illustration.

One thing about this clip... EK65 must be a pretty decent teammate for someone to come off the bench like that and immediately go after Vlasic. So is he a bad teammate prima donna or is he just very competitive. I've played with more than my fair share of people who can't handle getting called out when they are playing selfishly. They exist in every walk of life so the NHL isn't immune.

Reactions: Reggae Shark

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
He's not your teammate. He doesn't need to earn your respect.

He is mine though and he’s really let the rest of us in our WoW guild down recently.

Regardless, I feel like EK65 and Vlasic actually get along well even though EK65 seems a bit more level headed while Vlasic is a surly grump.

Unless of course EK65 told Vlasic that he’s more of a cat guy and doesn’t care for dogs. Then yeah I can see that causing problems.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
He is mine though and he’s really let the rest of us in our WoW guild down recently.

Regardless, I feel like EK65 and Vlasic actually get along well even though EK65 seems a bit more level headed while Vlasic is a surly grump.

Unless of course EK65 told Vlasic that he’s more of a cat guy and doesn’t care for dogs. Then yeah I can see that causing problems.
Hopefully EK never kills Vlasic's dog, otherwise Pickles would likely go all John Wick on his #**#%

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Hopefully EK never kills Vlasic's dog, otherwise Pickles would likely go all John Wick on his #**#%
Vlasic's love for his dogs is kinda insane honestly. Granted, I know people like him with their fur babies but I also think they're kinda crazy too

Reactions: Nolan11

sharkbyte

May 10, 2020
Orange, CA
Honestly, I can easily imagine all those quotes being said in Vlasic’s voice. They seem like two very different human beings and Vlasic always seemed mildly irritated by Karlsson’s existence (and everyone else’s).

Yeah not gonna lie, I'd miss Burns a lot more than Vlasic in a scenario where either are candidates to be moved. Vlasic's been here for like 14 years and it doesn't even really make me bat an eye, weird as it is. He's done great things for this organization and I guess it's the nature of his work on the ice that's more underappreciated/unheralded whereas Burns has been an offensive dynamo but something about Vlasic's attitude has always rubbed me the wrong way. Burns seems like a super fun-loving and likable guy in comparison. I'd be really sad to see Burnzie leave, even with all the sloppy play/defensive miscues in recent years.

sharkbyte

May 10, 2020
Orange, CA
Vlasic's love for his dogs is kinda insane honestly. Granted, I know people like him with their fur babies but I also think they're kinda crazy too

Lmao I thought I was the only one. He and his wife take it to a new level. Definitely better than the other extreme, but damn.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I like EK65, but not 11.5 million times worth. I suspect there are players that don't at 11.5 million either. Professional sports is highly competitive, and with big bucks involved, even more so. No surprise there.

I've never worked for a corporation that didn't have accountants looking at everyone's salaries and complaining privately to others. NEVER. I've worked for 5 well-known Fortune 10 to 500 listed companies, among others.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I like EK65, but not 11.5 million times worth. I suspect there are players that don't at 11.5 million either. Professional sports is highly competitive, and with big bucks involved, even more so. No surprise there.

I've never worked for a corporation that didn't have accountants looking at everyone's salaries and complaining privately to others. NEVER. I've worked for 5 well-known Fortune 10 to 500 listed companies, among others.

EK at 11.5M provides better value per dollar than most of the players on our roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad