Confirmed with Link: John McDonough Fired

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Couple interesting stories shared about McD on the score on the way into work. Apparently whenever players encountered McD at the rink/training facility/wherever it was expected that you refer to him as Mr. McDonough, make eye contact and shake his hand. Not doing so would have “repercussions”.

Another story involved a player’s exit interview at the end of the season immediately after working out and the player showed up in sandals. Apparently McDonough lost his mind.

What a f***ing power-abusing egomaniac. Must have gotten off on making these big shot hockey stars kowtow to him.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
I see the Boqvist call up as more of a Hail Mary on McDonough's part than a marketing boost.

Also remember all that intrigue about how the Hawks were trying to play defensively and the reports that Colliton got called to the carpet over it? And I remember Zawaski saying it wasn't necessarily Stan who did that, so if it wasn't Stan then who was telling the coach how to coach?

And ultimately it was an exercise in futility because no, the team wasn't capable of playing more defensively but also they couldn't play run and gun and outscore their problems. I'm telling you, there was a war in the fall about coaching, the Seabrook situation etc.

If the team's blue line was just a little bit better they would have made the playoffs. I think that's what McDonough was hoping for, that Boqvist would come in an pull a Makar. I honestly think Boqvist handled himself fine but probably should have had the full year in the AHL.
I never really took the system Colliton was trying to implement as defensive but more as fluid 5-man unit hockey. If I remember correctly some "stars" on the team said is was too complicated and was causing them to overthink out there.

I've mentioned before, but the early season seemed to be a sort of mutiny, and I actually kind of understand it from the point that you are all of the sudden basically being told the way you've been playing and winning cups needs reworking and you are being told that by a guy your age who doesn't have your accolades.

I don't subscribe to this way of thinking, but I'm not an elite athlete that's dominated every level of competition I've faced either.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Dude the youngest Millenials are 24. The oldest are 39.

Eh, not quite. At 35 I'm technically what you could call a Millennial, but we don't share the typical Millennial mindset. Many say anyone born from 79-85 are Xennials. Hybrid Gen X'ers and Millennials. I'm closer to a Gen X mindset, though. As are most of us pre-1985.

Reactions: Crow

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Eh, not quite. At 35 I'm technically what you could call a Millennial, but we don't share the typical Millennial mindset. Many say anyone born from 79-85 are Xennials. Hybrid Gen X'ers and Millennials. I'm closer to a Gen X mindset, though. As are most of us pre-1985.

I was born in late 86 and I consider myself having closer to a Xer mindset too. Technically, Millenials are 81-96 but I think there are two distinct groups in that category: those born before and after 1989. The reason why I say this is that I'm closer in mindset to my older cousin who was born in 84 than to my younger one who was born in 89.

Ive been of the opinion that "millennials" aren't even a thing and that younger ones are an extension of Z and older ones are an extension of X.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I was born in late 86 and I consider myself having closer to a Xer mindset too. Technically, Millenials are 81-96 but I think there are two distinct groups in that category: those born before and after 1989. The reason why I say this is that I'm closer in mindset to my older cousin who was born in 84 than to my younger one who was born in 89.

:thumbu:

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
Boomers dont even know the right generation to hate on lol

I am a boomer & I endorse this comment. ;-)

Tho - I don't allow myself hate anybody or anything (and not b/c I'm a saint by ANY stretch just that have learned first hand, "What goes around, comes around" and in my case multiplied by about a thousand.
Learn from my mistakes you young bucks. Hatred is poison on the soul and it WILL eat away at it like acid.

End of sermon.
GoHawks.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Ive been of the opinion that "millennials" aren't even a thing and that younger ones are an extension of Z and older ones are an extension of X.
I subscribe more to this. There’s people who remember life before the internet and those that don’t. When I was 23 I was working mandatory 70 hour weeks with Tuesday-Wednesday off and I was pulling overnight shifts. Hearing “how entitled” my generation was always made me roll my eyes. I’m railroad union and almost a decade in I feel I’ve more than earned my weekends off and “only” working forty hour work weeks when work is busy. When it’s swamped I’m still pulling fifty-sixty+ hour weeks. I’m blessed enough to have never had to deal with any health insurance issues as I went straight from being covered through my father to having a decent union job in my early twenties and I’ve never had to directly pay for health insurance in my life. I understand that’s not the norm but good lord I just don’t have any patience for anybody stereotyping “millennials”. It’s a wide swathe of people. I’m fortunate to be in the situation I’m in, no doubt. It doesn’t mean I didn’t earn it.

Edit: Didn’t mean to come off so aggressive but honestly being painted as a soft millennial is my biggest pet peeve. I graduated from community college with an associates degree and zero debt because I worked part time during an economic crater to pay for school. I’ve turned that useless degree into a comfortable middle class life for me and mine working a blue collar job that has a GED prerequisite.

I guess my main point is that you shouldn’t judge anyone by when they were born. Lord knows I’ve CLEARLY got a chip on my shoulder whenever I’m identified/dismissed as a millennial.

Last edited:

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
... I’m railroad union ...

Dude!
Another lifetime - HA more like 3 or 4 - used to work the Proviso Yard "over by dere" in Berkeley.

Just a punk kid HS grad, saw a LOT of characters - brakemen, engineers, firemen, yardmasters,
"carknockers" (car repairmen) & their foremen ... Lotta cool guys and a couple certifiable psychos. One of 'em the single most evil bastard coworker ever had the misfortune cross paths with. Good times.

Hired on as a frickin graveyard shift caboose cleaner HEHE used to steal ZZzzzs when we'd finished 'em up for the day traincrews. But my super efficiency & mega hi IQ got me promoted to "car inspector" which was fancy talk for one of the schmoes connected the airbrake hoses ("make the weenies") the boxcars coupled up out on the yard tracks.

How I survived (make that didn't get myself "killt" at least a couple times) amazes me to this very day. Lost part of a finger and knew two old timer brakemen crushed dead making up trains. Serious stuff out there, "night time in the switching yard."
Not to mention a madman shoot up one of the brakeroom buildings - but fortunately was after I got fired ... 'er ... "retired from railroading." ;-)

Hats off to ya Disgruntled.

Last edited:

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
I am a boomer & I endorse this comment. ;-)

Tho - I don't allow myself hate anybody or anything (and not b/c I'm a saint by ANY stretch just that have learned first hand, "What goes around, comes around" and in my case multiplied by about a thousand.
Learn from my mistakes you young bucks. Hatred is poison on the soul and it WILL eat away at it like acid.

End of sermon.
GoHawks.
As another boomer, I kind of agree. We don't give a rats ass about what you want to call your generation because your age in years doesn't define you, or us.

Reactions: KWP

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Funny cuz it’s the generation that raised millennials and largely shaped and created the world they/we currently live in that are the ones always stereotyping and criticizing it. Look in the mirror.

I’m in that pocket that still spent nearly half my life without internet or cell phones. Internet didn’t become widespread until middle of HS or so and wasn’t until I was like 19 or 20 that everyone started having cell phones. Experienced both worlds, but it’s hard to remember things before all of that.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I can't believe a bunch of adults actually care what others call them or care to identify with a damn word.

Well... many boomers have made a living off blaming "Millennials" for everything and anything, rather than looking in the mirror. So of course we'll be a little touchy with what we're referred to. I could go on and on about how boomers have completely f***ed things up over the past 30-40 years, but it's not worth it.

Last edited:

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Well... many boomers have made a living off blaming "Millennials" for everything and anything, rather than
looking in the mirror. So of course we'll be a little touchy with what we're referred to. I could go on and on about how boomers have
completely f***ed things up over the past 30-40 years, but it's not worth it.

Ok.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3