Confirmed with Link: John McDonough Fired

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
No, the ones that never made sense were McCub. Seabrook, I think, is the big McCub gaffe.

I think Panarin for Saad instead of futures was another one.

I think Danault was Stan's mistake. Not sure about Timonen.

I think you’re going too far by speculating on all these individual moves. The news we have now is just that the reporting/decision-making structure was fundamentally f***ed up.

Reactions: Giovi

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I think you’re going too far by speculating on all these individual moves. The news we have now is just that the reporting/decision-making structure was fundamentally f***ed up.

That's fair....I think that McCub is gone because you can point to the re-signing of Seabrook as the downfall of the Hawks, and I still believe he was responsible for that. I already said I don't think anyone's going to out him for years.

Reactions: KWP

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
No, the ones that never made sense were McCub. Seabrook, I think, is the big McCub gaffe.

I think Panarin for Saad instead of futures was another one.

I think Danault was Stan's mistake. Not sure about Timonen.

“DisgruntledHawkFan” said:
This could be a behind the scenes power play with very good/very bad implications. It could simply be a cost cutting measure. I do know one thing. We should all paint this with absolutes.

McD was a very big part in modernizing the organization. It was mostly things anybody with a bit of business acumen would realize. But he gets credit for actually doing it.

Nailed it.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
If Stan could get Dylan Strome while being shackled, imagine what he can do now that he's free...
McDavid for Seabs is just around the corner boys!

This DID crack me up.
But just to be nice (sorta a "make good") ... Hawks insist on taking Brandon ManDog Manning back.

Full disclosure: Hidden agenda confessed - I miss Boxcar57 (or whatever number that was.
Boxcar wherever you are ... I love you man. ;-))

Last edited:

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
That's fair....I think that McCub is gone because you can point to the re-signing of Seabrook as the downfall of the Hawks ....

Thing - that still - bugs me hearing that deal announced: Every Hawk fan (well, anybody seriously following the club & league) KNEW that extension's term & NMC (not just NTC) was going to have significant consequences / fallout.

Not to mention the cap hit, or that there was ANOTHER YEAR to go on the contract - what was the fricking hurry? How could something so obvious to hardcore fans be so blind to "the pros" in the front office? Will forever confound me.

And that said too - I love Brent Seabrook but pro sports is business & that deal amateur hour to the max, just saying ...

Last edited:

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
Timonen trade doesnt really matter. We won a cup. Even if he only played a miniscule role.

That playoff run was stressful enough; watching Timonen pinch was TERRIFYING. ;-)
I remember clearly yelling at the video screen: "Get back dude, GET BACK."
All turned out swell tho and loved seeing the guy hoist the big silver.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section88

Crow

May 19, 2014
I can't believe a bunch of adults actually care what others call them or care to identify with a damn word.
People don’t like having hasty generalizations made about them due to age among other things.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Thing - that still - bugs me hearing that deal announced: Every Hawk fan (well, anybody seriously following the club & league) KNEW that extension's term & NMC (not just NTC) was going to have significant consequences / fallout.

Not to mention the cap hit, or that there was ANOTHER YEAR to go on the contract - what was the fricking hurry? How could something so obvious to hardcore fans be so blind to "the pros" in the front office? Will forever confound me.

And that said too - I love Brent Seabrook but pro sports is business & that deal amateur hour to the max, just saying ...

I think the "hurry" was actually a strategy that had worked more often than not for the Hawks. Who knows if that was Bowman or McD?
If the Hawks don't extend Toews, Kane, and Keith prior to the 10' playoffs, I don't think they win. Same for the Kane and Toews extensions prior to the 15' season, with a full year left on those deals.

-Boston is another one that made sure to lock up Bergeron and Chara at the start of the 11' season and Bergeron again prior to the 13' season.
-LA almost imploded the entire franchise, literally might have sold, when they played chicken with Doughty prior to the 12' season. They were a couple games from franchise disaster.
-Blues just did it with Brayden Schenn, not very Armstrong like, so I think that says something about the approach.

Yes, the Seabrook contract was bad but it was a gamble on 16', 17' and maybe 18'. I don't think anybody was worried about 4 years out as it likely wasn't going to matter with so many declining players. As bad as that one worked out, if a franchise really believes in a player, and that they have a shot at contending, I think the best bet is to extend as early as possible. It's better for the player and the team for the whole year, and if it's a core player, you don't worry about saving a few million on the contract. You pay a front office to find the minor pieces to outperform cap hits to offset the difference.

The issue was to let Seabrook walk or keep him in my opinion. Way too much being made about the cap hit. Addressing RD at the time and future seasons with marginal bottom 4 talent would have still eaten up more than half the cap hit. Even being generous, we'll say 4 million in dead space a year, it wasn't going to change the direction of anything.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
What generation do you fall in?

There is a yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference in the way I think, having been born in 1984, compared to even how my sister thinks, being born in 1989. There's an even bigger difference between anyone born in the 90s, and myself, also. I grew up mostly tech free. The extent of my tech up through high school consisted of basically a pager and a Nokia phone with flashing antenna and fancy colored face plates. :laugh: The internet didn't become a thing until AOL and chat rooms and such in that platform, and that was the mid 90's or so, when I was like 10-12 years old. Tech was in its infancy until I was about 18-20. The nicest cellphone you could get when I was in high school was a Motorola Star-Tac. Haha. And I think that was late in my HS years.

You don't hear about those things, but there's such a distinct difference between those born 80-88 or so, in comparison to those born in 90 and after... it's really two generations in one, with very distinct mindsets. So not sure why you don't buy it. Only thing I can think is that you're a boomer. :laugh:
Technically I'm late GenX.

What I meant was I don't believe there's a thing of "Xennials" just like there wasn't "BoomX" or "MilleniZs". There's always some grey areas where those at the fringes pick stuff up from the next, or previous gen--which doesn't make for a complete generation. Looking at people around my age (let's say born 75-85) there's the gamut: there are those who are full on collaborative like millenials, full on cynical like Gen X'ers, and varying degrees of tech savvy--it was a transition period as the world moved more high-tech & more helicopter parented--but there's not a full-on common thread. There are people older than me that have more millenial traits, and older that are dare I say more GenX (and about the only Millennial trait I have is tech Savvy)...just like I'm sure there's the blurred line between Millenial and Zoomer, and Boomer and GenX...it doesn't warrant another generation in my opinion.

Hell my dad has a mix of boomer and silent traits even though he's born silent...but he's not a soomer :)

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Technically I'm late GenX.

What I meant was I don't believe there's a thing of "Xennials" just like there wasn't "BoomX" or "MilleniZs". There's always some grey areas where those at the fringes pick stuff up from the next, or previous gen--which doesn't make for a complete generation. Looking at people around my age (let's say born 75-85) there's the gamut: there are those who are full on collaborative like millenials, full on cynical like Gen X'ers, and varying degrees of tech savvy--it was a transition period as the world moved more high-tech & more helicopter parented--but there's not a full-on common thread. There are people older than me that have more millenial traits, and older that are dare I say more GenX (and about the only Millennial trait I have is tech Savvy)...just like I'm sure there's the blurred line between Millenial and Zoomer, and Boomer and GenX...it doesn't warrant another generation in my opinion.

Hell my dad has a mix of boomer and silent traits even though he's born silent...but he's not a soomer :)

If you believe in the idea of there being crossovers of mindsets, then you'd believe in the names, by association. ;)

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Anyone listened to the latest Blackhawks Talk podcast? They had a good recap of the situation and avoided the dumbest speculation. One interesting point they made was that during the lockdown teams have been doing different things to keep their players relevant but the only thing the Hawks have done is a couple of interviews with Toews and Kane and they also briefly commented that their way of handling players and keeping them off social is the modern equivalent of keeping the Hawks off TV.

Other podcasts have mentioned McDonough is the kind of guy who required people to wear suits to Zoom meetings. Wonder if this whole coronavirus thing put it into perspective how old school he was and that a new way forward was needed.

This is why I don't buy Eddie O as the next president. He's just as old school a thinker.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Anyone listened to the latest Blackhawks Talk podcast? They had a good recap of the situation and avoided the dumbest speculation. One interesting point they made was that during the lockdown teams have been doing different things to keep their players relevant but the only thing the Hawks have done is a couple of interviews with Toews and Kane and they also briefly commented that their way of handling players and keeping them off social is the modern equivalent of keeping the Hawks off TV.

Other podcasts have mentioned McDonough is the kind of guy who required people to wear suits to Zoom meetings. Wonder if this whole coronavirus thing put it into perspective how old school he was and that a new way forward was needed.

This is why I don't buy Eddie O as the next president. He's just as old school a thinker.

Great post.

Also, wearing suits to online meetings? What the hell McD? :laugh:

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Both? Hey I'm the ugly American - I want it ALL. ;-)
In which order, though? Snack 1st or lover 1st? :D

Great post.

Also, wearing suits to online meetings? What the hell McD? :laugh:

On one hand I get the whole dressing up for work even from Home--I can put you in the right mindset vs. PJ's and staying in bed.

On the other hand, if he's going to be that fascist what's to stop the players from wearing a suit top and waving in the breeze below--kinda like your average news anchor.

Or hell, I'd wear one of those tuxedo T-shirts...or dress up from different eras--show up looking like Napoleon.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Trying to learn more about the McD situation here and have a question about his management style. I see many people here talking about his old school approach (hand shakes, no sandals, suits to zoom meetings, etc) and how that makes him an egomaniac; what are the other folds to this story that separate that kind of behavior from someone like Lou, who seems to get praised for the tight, old school ship he runs?

Thanks guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->