Confirmed with Link: John McDonough Fired

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Uh...what? I know more than a few were really pulling for that, but this seems incredibly out of the blue for the guy that's only the business side of things.

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
What a weird time to release him. Sounds like they might have been disagreeing on the best way to attack the sport landscape mid/post corona.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I have to assume there's a better than average chance Bowman and Colliton will follow.

Wirtz just didn't want to make those changes until the plan for the rest of the season is settled by the NHL.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
holy-crap-gif-13.gif

Didn't think I'd see it for a long ass time, if ever.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Speculation for his replacement?

The lockdown hotcstove league is in session! GO!

Reactions: KWP

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Something major (though not necessarily insidious) must've happened behind the scenes so as to cause a sudden rift between Wirtz and him or this is a precursor to more sweeping changes. I can't imagine any other scenario off the top of my head that makes sense here (as in long-brewing or everybody else is safe in their jobs).

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If there were disagreements behind the scenes, they sure did a good job keeping it under wraps. I don't think anyone expected this.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Always thought he got more credit than he deserved for doing what was obvious to anyone who wasn't brain-dead.
The bottom line is that they were going down the path of the Tribune Cubs and the post-Jordan Bulls.

I don't care either way if Bowman is or isn't retained, but they do need a fresh perspective. Now we have to see if they're willing to make the hard choice to go into a full rebuild, and say goodbye to the guys who did so much for the team. Quite frankly, I think McCub waffling on retooling is a huge deal, and I think it will come out that he was responsible for the Seabrook fiasco.

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
It wasn’t just the business side though. If you think that he doesn’t have incredible influence on what happens with the team then you’ve been living under a rock.

Ah yes, the old boogeyman insinuation that he's been poking his fingers into other pies and forcing the team to make bad roster moves for marketability purposes all the while ignoring the huge number of roster moves that have been made against fan wishes on the regular.

But that being said, he was the president/CEO. Of course he had influence on things. But to think that Bowman didn't have overwhelming control over hockey ops behond maybe needing a final okay on a massive move never seemed sensible to me despite speculation to the contrary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad