Confirmed with Link: John McDonough Fired

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Didnt mention it
So either they're being mum about it or it was Stan. I understand that they were going to have to give Seabrook that type of deal if they wanted to keep him, so maybe they just decided to hope he could be an NHL player for longer than actually happened.

I really don't know what else could have been done in 2015 to keep the Hawks competitive.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
So either they're being mum about it or it was Stan. I understand that they were going to have to give Seabrook that type of deal if they wanted to keep him, so maybe they just decided to hope he could be an NHL player for longer than actually happened.

I really don't know what else could have been done in 2015 to keep the Hawks competitive.

Or Zawaski’s source just gave him two recent examples. This wasn’t a full press conference, and there was nothing offered on the Seabrook situation, so I don’t know how you can draw conclusions based on what was said today.

There were three points made:

1. McDonough meddled more in the last few years
2. McDonough blocked Stan from including Hossa in the hjalmarsson deal
3. McDonough forced a Boqvist call-up

Points not made:

1. McDonough ordered Stan to sign the Seabrook deal
2. Stan signed the Seabrook deal on his own
3. The two examples were the only times McDonough meddled
4. McDonough meddled more than the examples given

Last edited:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I would of thought it would of looked much shadier had they traded Hossa that soon with his issues announcement. That was before the big NHL doctor investigation check up on him which happened during preseason time that year when Lupul also was checked out after the cofusion with his ltir too.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Zawaski says in that podcast that McDonough absolutely became more of a meddler in hockey ops in the last few years.

Says his sources told him:

1. The Hjalmarsson trade was supposed to include Hossa, McDonough blocked it

2. It was McDonough’s decision to call up Boqvist this year, sounds like he ordered it

This is why Panarin is not still a Blackhawk. Blame McCub.

Reactions: Dividejoy

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Or Zawaski’s source just gave him two recent examples. This wasn’t a full press conference, and there was nothing offered on the Seabrook situation, so I don’t know how you can draw conclusions based on what was said today.

There were three points made:

1. McDonough meddled more in the last few years
2. McDonough blocked Stan from including Hossa in the hjalmarsson deal
3. McDonough forced a Boqvist call-up

Points not made:

1. McDonough ordered Stan to sign the Seabrook deal
2. Stan signed the Seabrook deal on his own
3. The two examples were the only times McDonough meddled
4. McDonough meddled more than the examples given

heard like a month after the Hossa deal that McD "hated it"...so given he blocked the first deal its pretty interesting because the benefits of that deal far exceeded the cost...why would he want all that money on LTIR? risk of recapture or thought it was disrespectful to Hoss?... idk, and he apparently did not want Kruger back, that must've been Stan's call...I also wonder if he's the one that pushed to get Saad back...recall there being some speculation mcd didnt think panarin was a "playoff player"

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
heard like a month after the Hossa deal that McD "hated it"...so given he blocked the first deal its pretty interesting because the benefits of that deal far exceeded the cost...why would he want all that money on LTIR? risk of recapture or thought it was disrespectful to Hoss?... idk, and he apparently did not want Kruger back, that must've been Stan's call...I also wonder if he's the one that pushed to get Saad back...recall there being some speculation mcd didnt think panarin was a "playoff player"

Ya, now that he’s gone, more people are going to start to dish on him. I feel like the insider leak to Zawaski and the Greenberg report are just the start of many things that will come out over the next few weeks.

Sounds like people were legitimately scared of him, and he was a real dick to the team employees (according to what Zawaski said he’s been told) so I’d expect there are plenty more negative stories to be told.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Maybe not, but maybe they could have gotten him to sign up for 8-8.5 long term after his ELC if they had the Hossa money free.
But he already signed a month or a couple before that. Sure in a perfectly aware what was gonna happen with the future world it could.

But in that case maybe Panarin wouldn't of taken the steps in the right ways and kept overly playing a differing and waiting for onetimer way he had

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
But he already signed a month or a couple before that. Sure in a perfectly aware what was gonna happen with the future world it could.

But in that case maybe Panarin wouldn't of taken the steps in the right ways and kept overly playing a differing and waiting for onetimer way he had
Did Panarin have a one or 2 year ELC? I forgot. I thought he re-signed during the 16-17 season and was traded that summer after they got swept by Nashville. I also seem to remember Hjalmarsson and Panarin getting traded within a few hours of each other. It's very possible that the nixing of Hossa to AZ directly lead to Panarin getting traded, and that talks with Columbus started when McCub nixed Hossa moving.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad