Confirmed with Link: John Hynes to be named head coach

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
Is it possible that because Nashville is a nice environment to live in, and the arena sells out regardless of the product on the ice, and the local press doesn't understand hockey enough to criticize the poor effort, that our players have become complacent. Josi is our one great player, but does he have the fire to get in his teammates faces and chew their butts out? Leadership by example doesn't always work. There are times when confrontation needs to be applied. Unfortunately I don't feel we have a player on this team that can provide the leadership style that is so desperately needed.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Is it possible that because Nashville is a nice environment to live in, and the arena sells out regardless of the product on the ice, and the local press doesn't understand hockey enough to criticize the poor effort, that our players have become complacent. Josi is our one great player, but does he have the fire to get in his teammates faces and chew their butts out? Leadership by example doesn't always work. There are times when confrontation needs to be applied. Unfortunately I don't feel we have a player on this team that can provide the leadership style that is so desperately needed.
Better question is would it even matter?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Maybe you can add long-term contracts into the complacency equation too. Those may be a bit of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it has been nice to have our players secured and not risk losing them, and in a lot of cases we got some decent cap advantages. Flip side, fewer and fewer players on this team have a financial incentive to play better anymore... if that's part of what might motivate them, anyway. :(

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
At some point one simply must look at the players and realize that it might not matter who is sitting behind the bench.
It is silliness to be calling the Hynes hiring at this point in time a mistake. That's not to say he is going to be a good or bad coach for this team; but calling him out after a handful of games is crazy. Something has been rotten in regards to the culture of this team, and it started before this season. They continue to give up in the face of any adversity. They continue to take whole periods off. That happened under Lavy and its happening under Hynes.

Poile should get what assets he can at the trade deadline and take a hard look at this roster this summer; and there can be arguments to be made that Poile should be looked at as well.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
It is silliness to be calling the Hynes hiring at this point in time a mistake. That's not to say he is going to be a good or bad coach for this team; but calling him out after a handful of games is crazy. Something has been rotten in regards to the culture of this team, and it started before this season. They continue to give up in the face of any adversity. They continue to take whole periods off. That happened under Lavy and its happening under Hynes.

Poile should get what assets he can at the trade deadline and take a hard look at this roster this summer; and there can be arguments to be made that Poile should be looked at as well.

I agree but the witch hunt is on. If the mob assembles to hunt then they are going to find some witches one way or another.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I agree but the witch hunt is on. If the mob assembles to hunt then they are going to find some witches one way or another.
the players can suck and the hiring of hynes can be a bad hire. the 2 can co-exist.

i don't think there is any question about the "core" of this team anymore and when it comes to hynes, just read any thread or article about him that isn't from a nashville fan. the dude sucks.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
We may discover that Hynes is the worst coach of all time at the end of next season, but he currently shoulders the least amount of blame of anyone in this organization. He's had what like 7 actual practices with the team now?

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
We may discover that Hynes is the worst coach of all time at the end of next season, but he currently shoulders the least amount of blame of anyone in this organization. He's had what like 7 actual practices with the team now?
i don't blame him for this mess. it's on the players but he's still a bad coach. he's had zero success and was buddies with kealty (roommates?) ... that must not sit well with just me. talk about the good ol boys club.

truth is poile waited too long on laviolette. which now we see maybe it was the players but hynes isn't going to fix anything... anyways he waited too long and didn't find a new coach in the summer and had to do a last ditch effort hire in a coach and went to someone he knew. his assistants old roommate. lmao you can't make it up.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
While the Hynes hiring wasn't what most of us here wanted, this group is experienced and should perform better than this pretty much regardless of the coach.

Like Poile said in the Lavy firing press conference, pretty much all of it is on the players and they thought bringing a new voice in there would shaken things up and the players wouldn't feel so complacent anymore. Obviously, the plan has backfired and all the blame falls on the players now.

That being said, Lavy would still be here if he could coach a f***ing special team.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Game against Bruins first up for new Predators coach John Hynes - The Boston Globe

the article says as much and i think most agree with what we read here.

this is on the players and poile says so but hynes isn't fixing shit. he hired him because kealty had connections to hynes and were roommates. read the article. sorry i spend a lot of money to watch this shit show so it just doesn't sit well with me.

i have way more ill will at the players. by a mile.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Still seems too soon to me to really judge Hynes. Rome wasn't built in a day. Or re-built after it burned to the ground. There are bits and pieces of improvements. Can see some attention given to trying to make core players more accountable. But I still think it's just too much to ask a coach to turn this team around this quickly. There was just too much that was broken, for far too long. Whether Hynes ultimately turns out to be a good coach or not, I have no idea. But I don't think I'll even start to form an opinion on him until well into next season.

Last edited:

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
It wasn't like any other team was going to hire him so there wasn't any leverage Hynes had over Poile.
You don't know that. If Poile liked him he had to lock him up before someone else fired their coach and then Hynes would have had leverage. Then when multiple teams are interested you get into a bidding war. The Preds are already eating Laviolette's contract, Hynes is offset by the Devils.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It's also really more of a 2.5 year contract in reality and the final year is easy enough to fire him. Essentially you've assured him this year and next, which I don't think is particularly unreasonable. Hynes very well may be an awful coach, but lots of great coaches have had an awful first tenure in the NHL so who knows. What I do know is getting upset that he hasn't turned the team around in after 2 weeks is insane.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
You don't know that. If Poile liked him he had to lock him up before someone else fired their coach and then Hynes would have had leverage. Then when multiple teams are interested you get into a bidding war. The Preds are already eating Laviolette's contract, Hynes is offset by the Devils.
Yes we know that Hynes has no leverage on Poile based on his actual proven track record of.. nothing on his own and Taylor Hall carrying them into the playoffs.
Nobody else was trying to snatch him from our grab.

Hynes was never the answer we needed at any point of this but the goal posts are going to be moved on him every time it's apparent that he wasn't the right guy.

It was a full on buddy hire for no reason.

Reactions: Preds Partisan

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
It's also really more of a 2.5 year contract in reality and the final year is easy enough to fire him. Essentially you've assured him this year and next, which I don't think is particularly unreasonable. Hynes very well may be an awful coach, but lots of great coaches have had an awful first tenure in the NHL so who knows. What I do know is getting upset that he hasn't turned the team around in after 2 weeks is insane.
It's more like that he is not expected to right the ship and anything positive like making the playoffs from now on in is a win for his books.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Like him or not the fact he is trying to hold guys accountable for their poor play is at least a nice change. Sadly with Joey I don't think it will do a bit of good.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Hey guys. Just dropping in - I have sort of a vested interest in Nashville as you have some previous senators as well as what should be a good roster. I was wondering what is the feeling on Hynes deployment of players. Specifically I don't understand why Forsberg/Duchene do not play more and then tonight why Turris has 21 minutes. I have watched you guys a fair amount this year and while I very much agree with benching Johansen as from what I've seen he's been terrible. Both Duchene and Forsberg have been good when I've watched. Bonino's line is such a good shutdown line and the roster has a lot of potential, you guys have any idea why Forsberg and Duchene arn't given more ice time?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Hey guys. Just dropping in - I have sort of a vested interest in Nashville as you have some previous senators as well as what should be a good roster. I was wondering what is the feeling on Hynes deployment of players. Specifically I don't understand why Forsberg/Duchene do not play more and then tonight why Turris has 21 minutes. I have watched you guys a fair amount this year and while I very much agree with benching Johansen as from what I've seen he's been terrible. Both Duchene and Forsberg have been good when I've watched. Bonino's line is such a good shutdown line and the roster has a lot of potential, you guys have any idea why Forsberg and Duchene arn't given more ice time?
They haven't played that well and basically Hynes is forcing guys to earn their ice time. I think he's more worried about effort and attitude atm which is why you saw Joey get 16 minutes tonight than the 10 he had the last game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad