Confirmed with Link: John Hynes to be named head coach

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Duchene was invisible in his 14 minutes of ice time, did he deserve more?

Forsberg had a great pass on the power play but still tries to do too much and doesn't play well within a team system 5v5.

Reactions: OldFan and NNCbama

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

Forsberg had a great pass on the power play but still tries to do too much and doesn't play well within a team system 5v5.

I thought the top line struggled for the first two periods but looked a lot better in the third. It was important to get Joey going, also one of the strongest game as a Pred from Granlund.

Agreed on the latter part, feels like if he could simplify his game a little he would have so much more to give.

Reactions: NNCbama

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think it's good if the players just don't really know what to expect. Hynes can reward anybody. Or sit anybody. So play your ass off every minute of every game. He knows when you've been naughty, he knows when you've been nice. Nobody gets a free ride. That was a big problem in the latter days of Lavy --- he had too much history with the players, too much willingness to give them a little slack for an off game because he liked them and just figured they'd be ok next game.

Even if it sometimes seems a little random - like Turris getting the most at C last night - it's better than before. Keep the players on their toes.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It feels weird to say this since I'm typically critical of Turris, but I've really liked his all around game lately too so I don't mind Hynes rewarding him. He's playing way more assertively and positionally sound than any of other Top 6 center options at the moment (up until Johansen's third period last night). He's also been getting a decent amount of PK time and has really excelled there as well as being one of the better players on our PP too.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
It feels weird to say this since I'm typically critical of Turris, but I've really liked his all around game lately too so I don't mind Hynes rewarding him. He's playing way more assertively and positionally sound than any of other Top 6 center options at the moment (up until Johansen's third period last night). He's also been getting a decent amount of PK time and has really excelled there as well as being one of the better players on our PP too.

Turris played over 20 minutes last night. Think he is happy about the coaching change???? LOL

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
And the doomsdayers are positive that a coaching change won't help this group of players. Bunch of lazy uninterested SOBs! Blow it all up!

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003

Forsberg just seems to be making bad decisions both ways. Last night in the first, he had a great opportunity to shoot on the rush but instead tried to force a pass across the middle which was easily broken up by the Caps D. I think he's really gripping the stick too tight and needs a dirty goal to get back in the swing of things.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Turris was a good player before Nashville
Granlund was a good player before Nashville.
They didn’t just forget how to play hockey when they came here.
They were used differently here. And they are changing responsibilities again.
Hopefully this is a result, not just a fluke.

Reactions: NNCbama

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Turris was a good player before Nashville
Granlund was a good player before Nashville.
They didn’t just forget how to play hockey when they came here.
They were used differently here. And they are changing responsibilities again.
Hopefully this is a result, not just a fluke.
Turris was a decently good player even in his first year with us too. Then he was the shiny new toy our GM had paid to procure, and wasn't getting bounced all over the place - he had a pretty consistent line and utilization then. Well the whole team did - funny - we won the President's Trophy that way. :doh:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Turris played over 20 minutes last night. Think he is happy about the coaching change???? LOL
Good for him. His night-in/night-out effort has been superior to both Johansen and Duchene for much of the season, which is pretty impressive considering how badly he was jerked around at the start. It's refreshing to see even the slightest attempt at some accountability from our coach toward our top players.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Just think, if Poile wouldve waited another week or so we couldve had Gallant. I mean the team has looked better but not anywhere close to where they should be.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Just think, if Poile wouldve waited another week or so we couldve had Gallant. I mean the team has looked better but not anywhere close to where they should be.
Well, if Poile wanted to be a little proactive, he could presumably still have Gallant tomorrow if he really wanted to.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
What Poile should've done is hired Hynes as the interim head coach. That would've made the nature of the hire (based more on personal connection than anything else) a lot easier to swallow and would've given Poile an opportunity to assess how the team played under him and an excuse to hire someone else, like Gallant, in the offseason. Instead, he hitched his wagon to Hynes and is going to stick with him out of pride and faith for the next year or two at the least.

OpenWheel

Jan 10, 2007
Keweenaw Peninsula
I'm not any hockey man as far as knowing the game, that's for sure.
But I thought we were better under him, and he did try to reward or punish with PT which I think is alright. Didn't see enough pred games this year to get a decent feel for x's and o's so just watched how he handled his guys. And for the most part liked what I saw.
I'm not high on him now, as great coaches seem to get results quickly. And he hasn't.
But I'm not all that pessimistic either. I think he's middle of the pack, and in the NHL that means good hockey knowledge. The Preds could be OK (I mean pretty good) under him. Depends on the roster adjustments.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
At this level... I dare to hope every coach that's even remotely in the conversation has the x's and o's and systems options down cold. The thing that makes the difference though is pushing the buttons and making the on-the-fly adjustments and motivations. Our team seems to need a steel-toe boot planted in some behinds, and that doesn't seem to be Hynes' style at all.

OpenWheel

Jan 10, 2007
Keweenaw Peninsula
But he isn't going anywhere. So I'm choosing to be cautiously optimistic. Anything else is rather depressing.
I hated Poile pouncing on the first guy or buddy available last year. But if he's truly bad, then Poile must be a moron, and Poile isn't.

OpenWheel

Jan 10, 2007
Keweenaw Peninsula
At this level... I dare to hope every coach that's even remotely in the conversation has the x's and o's and systems options down cold. The thing that makes the difference though is pushing the buttons and making the on-the-fly adjustments and motivations. Our team seems to need a steel-toe boot planted in some behinds, and that doesn't seem to be Hynes' style at all.
You'd think the right top assistant combined with the team captain could do a lot to help there.
Lot's of coaches learn to fill out their weaknesses with the right surrounding team.
But the current captain is not really in that fiery style either. Although I've never heard the room gets away, but sometimes with guys watching until too late in the play then you see the lightbulb "hey I should have hustled here!" ... geesh.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Devils fan coming in peace...

Just an FYI, it does NOT get better under Hynes. He's simply not a good coach. Yes, we may be jaded as fans but we just watched a series where the same issues we had under Hynes were evident with a better roster. The guy just refuses to admit that his system sucks and isn't something that'll fly at the NHL level.

I live in Milwaukee so I go to a ton of Admirals games so I follow/have seen a ton of Preds before they took off and it pains me to know that this bald headed moron is going to sink another franchise that I admire.

Hope, as a consolation, you guys get Lafreniere out of this, at least. Just go rub that bald head and hope the lotto luck transferred from Taylor Hall to Hynes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad