Confirmed with Link: John Hynes to be named head coach

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I'm excited for tonight's game. Though we are only two games into seeing what the new coach can do with this team and there isn't a large sample size to prove the results of the coaching change it is fun to watch. At least for me.

• We've been talking about the ills of the man on man defense since last season and suddenly with a simple system change the team looks much better in their own zone.
  • After several years of talking about our centers under performing we get to see if their production can go up to league average numbers by being the outlet pass in the Dzone and becoming a major part of the breakouts.
  • Also seeing the beginnings of a PK structure and thought process that should be much better. Aggressive when the opponent doesn't have control of the puck but compact and patient when they have full possession. Still seeing some of them chasing too much but can see that they realize what they're doing and get back into position.
  • Waiting to see what is implemented for the offensive zone and how they will try to cycle the puck and attack as a team. Hoping defensemen will be scolded for hanging out below the dots or even goalline like they're forwards.
  • And last but definitely not least! Get that Power Play going!!
Anyway, all I'm expecting tonight is more development into a team with some structure so that when players try to do "more" they are doing is for a reason within the team concept.

I read a tweet earlier that said the last two games (the two that Hynes actually coached) were #6 and #7 out of the Preds 44 games this season as far as shot quality.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
And Josi screws the pooch with that horrible pass while trying to act like a forward leaving Grimaldi at the point. Luckily they didn't score but totally ruined any momentum the Preds had.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
And Josi screws the pooch with that horrible pass while trying to act like a forward leaving Grimaldi at the point. Luckily they didn't score but totally ruined any momentum the Preds had.
that was awkward and it wasn't like josi was jumping into the play at that moment. he was legit chilling down low and leaving grimaldi at the point.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
that was awkward and it wasn't like josi was jumping into the play at that moment. he was legit chilling down low and leaving grimaldi at the point.
Grims is not a good defensive forward and having him cover there is a weakness that other teams will attack every time.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
It wasn't even that so much as Josi's pass was awful and put him in no-man's land. It wouldn't have mattered if Sissons, Watson, or Bonino had been covering there.
Right. If we know Grims isn't great shakes as a defensive forward, Josi should know it and make better decisions rather than sloppy plays assuming a miracle will happen to bail him out. The other team will be at a hair trigger to pounce.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
If Hynes' contract with us is only until the end of the year, we should take a long look at Gallant.
it's a damn shame gallant wasn't available when we fired hynes. hynes will be done by this time next year.

ultimately it comes down to the players. dallas lost their head coach who was peaking as a top 5 coach in the league and they haven't missed a beat.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The hire makes no sense. Think back over the last few year of what kind of team the Devils have been. Consider they have had Taylor Hall, Jack Hughes, Hischier, Palmieri, Coleman all 20 goal and more guys. The defense and tenders have been poor for a while the PP has been 14.56, 17.7, 21.3 over last three seasons the PK 79.3, 84.3, 81.7. The PP was above league average 1 of the three years and the PP above league avg 2 years. The last 3 full seasons his team was below league avg in wins and above league avg in losses. His team averaged between 30 and 44 goals below the league average in the last three years. The goal dif of -15, -25 and -7. The 5x5 save % was .918, .924, .929. Total save% including special teams .895, .908, .906. These resulted in a team total of 72 points, 97 points and 70 points over the last three seasons. The 97 point year they made the playoffs and lost in the first round in 5 games to the Lightning. They scored 12 total goals in those 5 games while giving up 18 goals. This was Hynes only PO appearance.

Now with all those numbers what does that tell us. With a similar offensive team(and I am stretching it with the Preds talent) Hynes was not able to do much with them. The special teams numbers in Jersey were herky jerky the best PP year they manage only 70 points while having a 5x5 SV%of 9.29(this does not make sense). The middle year the 5x5 SV% was .908 yet they gained 97 points and made the playoffs. (again makes little sense).

Now the question is were all these numbers the result of Hynes or the players? On the surface there has been enough goal scorers to keep Jersey above the league average in goals which was not the results. So was it Hynes system, his reluctance to try new lines, an attempt to control GA or one of countless other factors?

What if anything points to Hynes ability to improve the Preds? Now before you make a decision remember that both Hall and Hughes are generational players and they are backed up with three solid 20 goal guys. So the best we can do is Forsberg and Arvy to compare to the top guys then it is a crap shoot after. Defensively the edge will go to the Preds when Ellis is healthy. Goaltending historically the Preds but the current situation it is a wash.

SO trying to get inside Poiles head about this hire is confusing. Was Hynes just the best out there at the time Poile was forced to relieve Lavi? Maybe It is hard to imagine after looking at Hynes body of work that he will be able to get the job done here. And to fire him at the end of this year is not fair to the guy either. So again what going on in Poiles head? Is it that he feels that the coaching has not been the issue and its the players on the ice? Is Hynes a throw away coach for Poiles long term plan. Or worst Poile thinks Hynes reguardless of his past can turn this team around? Only three games in now but by the trade deadline we will know. He will have close to 20 games ample time for the players to adjust and the newness to wear off. One thing is true every game is important to Hynes now can he transfer this to the players?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
it's a damn shame gallant wasn't available when we fired hynes. hynes will be done by this time next year.

ultimately it comes down to the players. dallas lost their head coach who was peaking as a top 5 coach in the league and they haven't missed a beat.
It would seem like Hynes is just too connected via their USAHockey ties and everything, I bet he would have taken Hynes over Gallant anyway. Gallant is a little more of a throwback style motivational players coach, right? :dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
So did we ever hear Hynes contract situation? It's a little strange we haven't heard any details about it yet. Is it possible he is coaching for a job?

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Consider they have had Taylor Hall, Jack Hughes, Hischier, Palmieri, Coleman all 20 goal and more guys.

They had Taylor Hall for essentially two seasons since he was hurt most of last year and made the playoffs in one of them. Jack Hughes just joined the team this year and barring an offensive explosion in the second half will not hit 20 this year. Hischier was only there for part of Hynes's tenure and they made the playoffs in his rookie year. Palmieri is a solid player so I'll give you that. Coleman also was not a 20 goal guy for most of Hynes's tenure only hitting 20 goals for the first time last season. They also lack any depth whatsoever beyond those guys. Add to that having generally bad defenseman none of which are elite puck movers which really harms your offensive output. Calling the Devils offensive talent better than the Preds even with our team underperforming is just insane.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Yeah outside of Hall, who can't stay healthy, they're all pretty much 50 point players, combined with that defense and goaltending, it's easy to see how the Devils have struggled so much, only made the playoffs in Hall's MVP season.
And at this point is there not a correlation with this Preds team. One thing that is similar too is what many are calling heart. I prefer to call it motivation. A coach must motivate a team in many cases and in these two cases in particular. Usually making a coaching change is a situation that motivates a team perhaps not the first game but in the games following the realization that they had a hand in losing their coach. The inability after time for a coach to motivate a team has cost many coaches there jobs. So the question is what will motivate this team to perform? They are a better group of players than what is going on. There was no reason for the Ducks to win that game last night. None Nope nadda no way. Even with Sarros in net this team should have been able to outscore the ducks.

I am still not sold on Hynes but he is going to be here a while we are talking about a Poile(Mr Loyal) team. One more loss and the team can be last in the central. Currently sitting 6 points out of a playoff spot and 19 points out of the lead of the central. Of course a streak could change all of this but at this point it is hard to imagine a streak, hell looking at the schedule I have a hard time seeing them winning three in a row the rest of the season.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
All righty then- since nothing had been said about it I was kind of hoping this was possibly just a rest of the season thing and then re-evaluate.

Guess not...………..

We have no idea how that contract is structured.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
i am not going to act like i understand how NHL coaches contracts work. i just hope if he doesn't pan out, we can move on without hesitation.

They are fully guaranteed but offset by taking a new job. We were paying 2.5/year so if it he took a job tomorrow at 1 million we would only be on the hook for 1.5 moving forward.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
i am not going to act like i understand how NHL coaches contracts work. i just hope if he doesn't pan out, we can move on without hesitation.
I don't see that happening. Poile et al definitely seem onboard with Hynes. They weren't even going to replace Lavy unless they managed to land a guy they were in love with. And for whatever reason, I guess Hynes is that guy. So this was The Change. There isn't some other coach who is going to come along and knock Hynes off his pedestal anytime soon.

Instead, I think this basically sets up Phase B as core player changes in the event the coaching change doesn't snap them out of it.

Then after that...if it fails too... which is several years down the road now... you are looking at a Phase C bloodbath that sees a new GM and his hand-picked new coach. Hynes would be on a new contract by the time that happens.

I don't think we should expect any coaching change over the lifetime of his current deal. It's just a question of how far into his next one we might see things shaking up. And of course we have to hope none of Phase B or Phase C ever comes to pass and we just have Hynes as our coach forever (Cup rings glittering on every finger)...

Last edited:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Yeah outside of Hall, who can't stay healthy, they're all pretty much 50 point players, combined with that defense and goaltending, it's easy to see how the Devils have struggled so much, only made the playoffs in Hall's MVP season.
we're better now with hynes' assistant coach than under hynes

his weakness is his inability to change on the fly. i think poile is in a tough situation now, because he has to ride this out, or basically admit this hire was (if bad play continues) wrong

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
we're better now with hynes' assistant coach than under hynes

his weakness is his inability to change on the fly. i think poile is in a tough situation now, because he has to ride this out, or basically admit this hire was (if bad play continues) wrong
Don't tell preds fans that

Hynes was an awful hire from day one. poile should lose his job over it. laviolette should have been fired in the summer. no more chances for poile.

Reactions: JustaFinnishGuy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad