GDT: 2024 IIHF World Championship - Czechia

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
Sorry for my ignorance and irrelevant to hockey question but when in the world did Czech Republic start calling themselves Czechia?

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Sorry for my ignorance and irrelevant to hockey question but when in the world did Czech Republic start calling themselves Czechia?

Don’t worry about being out of the loop on this one, basically nobody is calling them that except for diplomats who are required to. Everyone else still calls it the Czech Republic.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
How many coaches not thinking Holtz is that good of a hockey player will it take before people on here believe it?
He's going to take a while to turn the corner. At some point he will mature enough and have enough reps to make it work. He will likely never be great but he will have a couple of 30 goal seasons if put in the proper positions. I'm skeptical that happens with NJ and I'm skeptical it happens before he is 25-26 but there is nothing about him that suggests he cannot play in the NHL with further development.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
He's going to take a while to turn the corner. At some point he will mature enough and have enough reps to make it work. He will likely never be great but he will have a couple of 30 goal seasons if put in the proper positions. I'm skeptical that happens with NJ and I'm skeptical it happens before he is 25-26 but there is nothing about him that suggests he cannot play in the NHL with further development.
They aren’t the same player but a career arc like Palmieri seems totally plausible to me.

Effective in limited minutes with his drafting team, eventually gets traded after failing to break through to a higher role, and then scores higher raw totals with new team who slotted him into a higher role.

Reactions: My3Sons

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
giphy.webp

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I don’t think him ever hitting 30 goals is very likely. Don’t see the skillset unless he makes some major strides in a few areas. Problem is I’m not sure he’ll be focusing on the right areas.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I don’t think him ever hitting 30 goals is very likely. Don’t see the skillset unless he makes some major strides in a few areas. Problem is I’m not sure he’ll be focusing on the right areas.
Alex Newhook looked like a completely lost cause in Colorado. Montreal picked him up and while he's not doing incredibly well he has seemingly turned a corner and become a viable player. Sometimes it's fit and sometimes it's something else. In Holtz's case I just think he's a remedial student that needs a personal tutor and loads and loads of time to go over the lessons until he's seen everything enough times that he doesn't have to think about it for as long before he actually does it. On some level I think McLeod was like that. He only really started to turn the corner last year in the playoffs when he was already 25 or so. Holtz just strikes me as a guy that will improve slowly each season but won't really settle in until relatively late for a high first round pick. I doubt NJ wants to go through that process but I doubt any other team does either.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Alex Newhook looked like a completely lost cause in Colorado. Montreal picked him up and while he's not doing incredibly well he has seemingly turned a corner and become a viable player. Sometimes it's fit and sometimes it's something else. In Holtz's case I just think he's a remedial student that needs a personal tutor and loads and loads of time to go over the lessons until he's seen everything enough times that he doesn't have to think about it for as long before he actually does it. On some level I think McLeod was like that. He only really started to turn the corner last year in the playoffs when he was already 25 or so. Holtz just strikes me as a guy that will improve slowly each season but won't really settle in until relatively late for a high first round pick. I doubt NJ wants to go through that process but I doubt any other team does either.
I don’t see it the same way. Even if he struggled Newhook has a lot more skill and they’re completely different types of players. Very fast and skilled player. Same thing with McLeod. The tools they have had are obvious. I just don’t see much there with Holtz and don’t think it’s about learning lessons. I think he just isn’t a skilled enough player.

He’s a skilled offensive player offensive player who isn’t actually skilled enough in my opinion. And I feel like they’re trying to beef him up and fix the stuff that would make him a better bottom of the lineup player. But he’s never gonna be good at that or last in the NHL. He’s not the kind of guy you can mold into a bottom 6 energy guy like some other top prospects are.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I don’t see it the same way. Even if he struggled Newhook has a lot more skill and they’re completely different types of players. Very fast and skilled player. Same thing with McLeod. The tools they have had are obvious. I just don’t see much there with Holtz and don’t think it’s about learning lessons. I think he just isn’t a skilled enough player.

He’s a skilled offensive player offensive player who isn’t actually skilled enough in my opinion. And I feel like they’re trying to beef him up and fix the stuff that would make him a better bottom of the lineup player. But he’s never gonna be good at that or last in the NHL. He’s not the kind of guy you can mold into a bottom 6 energy guy like some other top prospects are.
That may be the case but he has the shot and enough skill to create some goals in limited time. We will see. I think the team gives him another season because they don't have much choice and he's cheap. If he can improve as much as he did from two seasons ago to last season there is a chance he shows more.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I’m Alex Newhook looked like a completely lost cause in Colorado. Montreal picked him up and while he's not doing incredibly well he has seemingly turned a corner and become a viable player. Sometimes it's fit and sometimes it's something else. In Holtz's case I just think he's a remedial student that needs a personal tutor and loads and loads of time to go over the lessons until he's seen everything enough times that he doesn't have to think about it for as long before he actually does it. On some level I think McLeod was like that. He only really started to turn the corner last year in the playoffs when he was already 25 or so. Holtz just strikes me as a guy that will improve slowly each season but won't really settle in until relatively late for a high first round pick. I doubt NJ wants to go through that process but I doubt any other team does either.

Montreal picked Newhook up because he’s a center and non-Habs fan’s citation needed on him doing “incredibly well”.

If Newhook is capable of shooting 20.34% at 5v5 every season from now on, then sure, future success awaits him.

Holtz’s play style doesn’t work that well in the NHL, he likes to slow it down and find open ice. Coaches can have him chase the puck all day, he’s not going to fundamentally change how he approaches the game.

He actually has good awareness, his passing shows it, and he can sometimes score if he’s plopped in front of the net.

Scoring wingers is tough position to stick at.
Where does he play? Not sure I see him ever playing with Jack, he can’t play with Nico, so it’s either the 3rd line or a different team/ league.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

My3Sons

Sponsor
Montreal picked Newhook up because he’s a center and non-Habs fan’s citation needed on him doing “incredibly well”.

If Newhook is capable of shooting 20.34% at 5v5 every season from now on, then sure, future success awaits him.

Holtz’s play style doesn’t work that well in the NHL, he likes to slow it down and find open ice. Coaches can have him chase the puck all day, he’s not going to fundamentally change how he approaches the game.

He actually has good awareness, his passing shows it, and he can sometimes score if he’s plopped in front of the net.

Scoring wingers is tough position to stick at.
Where does he play? Not sure I see him ever playing with Jack, he can’t play with Nico, so it’s either the 3rd line or a different team/ league.
I said he's NOT doing incredibly well. My point is just a guy can turn into at least a decent NHL player after starting poorly. Well, that and my other point is you should really explore your artistic side more in depth. It has sort of a Jackson Pollack vibe and really should be featured in the Guggenheim, not the one in NYC, the one in Venice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad