Confirmed with Link: John Hynes to be named head coach

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
My thoughts?

If it works, great!

If not, well the draft will be stacked!

It can be a good season to have a shitty season.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Just saw this news on NHL.com & I am positively stunned.

OMG you poor basterds, you have no idea the misery you are in for, so PRAY to whatever god or deity you believe in that this is just an interim move to finish-out this season.

I had been calling for the Devils to fire John Hynes since 2017. All he cares about is all offense all the time. He has one of the worst coaching records in the modern era among coaches with > 300 games. Many of us thought he'd never get a head coaching job again. I am positively stunned.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The devils are 6-7-2 since firing hynes. And was 7-8 before they fired him. Nothing seem to change record wise after firing him

This is completely wrong, so not sure where you got it:

Devils with Coach Hynes = 9-17 = 35% Win percentage WITH Taylor Hall
Devils without Hynes = 7-9 = 44% Win percentage WITHOUT Taylor Hall

Skeletor is horrific. You'll see.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Just saw this news on NHL.com & I am positively stunned.

OMG you poor basterds, you have no idea the misery you are in for, so PRAY to whatever god or deity you believe in that this is just an interim move to finish-out this season.

I had been calling for the Devils to fire John Hynes since 2017. All he cares about is all offense all the time. He has one of the worst coaching records in the modern era among coaches with > 300 games. Many of us thought he'd never get a head coaching job again. I am positively stunned.
i don't take insult to your post.

you may offend some by your tone but i feel the same. an awful hiring by Poile. I believe this hiring will be what gets him fired finally in Nashville.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Hope Hynes works out for you guys. Most great coaches have failed at some point in their careers, it is all about how you reflect your mistakes and continue to get better.

If Hynes does just that and isnt stubborn and sticks to whatever non-system he had here in NJ he will fail and get you a lottery pick.

I like you guys and your passion, and I think Hynes is a good dude too, so hope you guys get healthy and start blowing the doors off the central

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
It is the way of HF to make proclamations without waiting for any evidence. Maybe Hynes goes 0-for his time with the Preds .... maybe he is the right voice to correct the issues this team has without ruining what is going right. What is clear after the past 123 regular season games is that Laviolette and McCarthy were not the right voices to get our special teams going. I honestly don't care what he did or didn't do with the Devils. I care what he does with the Preds. The simple fact is that most coaches have crappy seasons which is why they become available.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
That game isn't on Hynes. You would think a coaching change would light a fire under the players' asses but evidently it didn't.

I am so disappointed in our leadership core.

Reactions: bdub24 and NNCbama

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
That game isn't on Hynes. You would think a coaching change would light a fire under the players' asses but evidently it didn't.

I am so disappointed in our leadership core.
they got paid. what else is there to say.

too much complacency.. inconsistency. i think we've held onto the same guys for too long.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I want to give them time under the new coach before shopping them. If this continues for another month then would certainly support trying to cash in where it makes sense to do so.

Reactions: SavageSteve

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I want to give them time under the new coach before shopping them. If this continues for another month then would certainly support trying to cash in where it makes sense to do so.
i think granlund should go regardless. it's so puzzling considering what he was before he came here but i don't think he has any effect on if we win or lose a game. weirdly, i still think we could get some good value for him.

Reactions: NNCbama

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
i think granlund should go regardless. it's so puzzling considering what he was before he came here but i don't think he has any effect on if we win or lose a game. weirdly, i still think we could get some good value for him.
He's a UFA. He might be dealt as Poile sells off this team as scrap parts. And, he may not have much interest in returning here.

But, it is very strange that his game went into the tank when he got here. I was very stoked to see him rev up the second line when we traded for him.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Did we ever find out what his contract status is?
I still haven't seen anything official. Until I do, I'm just going to assume they've simply picked up the term remaining on his last extension with the Devils, which according to CapFriendly was for this season and next season (although even that I couldn't find confirmed elsewhere). :dunno:

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
I still haven't seen anything official. Until I do, I'm just going to assume they've simply picked up the term remaining on his last extension with the Devils, which according to CapFriendly was for this season and next season (although even that I couldn't find confirmed elsewhere). :dunno:
Hynes did in fact get a 1 season extension with NJ at around the trade deadline last season. So if they just picked up his contract his Nashville deal will run through the 20-21 season

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Of course gotta give the guy time, but first completely non analytical gut reaction is ... not impressed. No idea who would be better and is available with some notable track record, just feel like this is any port in a storm situation.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Considering he has no feel of the team yet I'm not blaming him at all for last night. As others have said, what I can't believe is we fired two coaches as the ultimate wake up call and our players don't do shit in response. There's no one on this roster I can see being a commanding presence and holding other guys accountable behind closed doors

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Doing more just to do it isn't going to get you more of a result. It is the coaches job to teach and show the players what that specific "more" is that will actually improve their play personally and within the team structure.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Last night to me is sort of the final game of Lavi's tenure. Pregame skate and line combos were set by Muse and Lambert and Hynes realistically had no time to try and make any even minimal tweaks. He got his free pass and now we need to start seeing improvements. I don't expect a complete overhaul of the team immediately, but by next game hopefully we've fixed something whether that thing be 5 v 5 team defense, PK, PP or whatever I hope Hynes focuses on one aspect of last night's disaster and tries to fix it. Unfortunately, for Hynes the turnaround needs to come quick since these next three games are going to be especially crucial since they are against teams that are likely going to be near the same position in the final standings as us, but that's what he signed up for and is getting paid the big bucks to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad