Player Discussion John Gibson

Bobby Smash

Feb 13, 2008
MX
I'd trade him, too. He's always hurt. I'd re-sign Bernier if the return on Gibson was significant.

Draq

Mar 2, 2016
Germany
Tell me why we shouldn't trade him

honestly? his cap hit is great. other than that i'm not sold on Gibby. he is obviously not a bad golatender though + great contract.

I wish we could get a calm Goaltender with ok'ish puck handling - I don't need to see a squirrel in the net every other night. I always getting nervous when the puck is in our defensive zone.

Last edited:

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Gibson is a fine goaltender. He makes me nervous from time to time but that's just his style of play. People who want to ship him out of town after his first full year as starter have officially abandoned reality

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
$850k/year... his first full season. Wow you guys give up very early. Probably the same guys who say Theo sucks/is a bust.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Don't really care how pucks are stopped as long as they are. Gibson can get scrambly but he seems to still have good instincts in those scramble situations to be in the best position to make a save. Injuries are obviously a concern (but seems his playoff injury was a fluke), and hopefully something that can be worked on but I'd say overall it's been a great season for Gibson. Not only has he shown he can be a #1, but he's shown he can step up and bounce back from poor games in the playoffs too and that's something that cannot be understated, after his up and down Edmonton series he was outstanding against Nashville and that's something that is important to see.

There's no way we should be giving up on a 23 year old goaltender who has shown immense potential in his NHL career to date. If he gets on top of the injuries we easily can have a franchise goaltender on our hands.

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
Dude is 23 and he just finished his first season as the starter and people are done with him. Haha thats pathetic

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
#4 in the league in SV% (among goalies with 30+ games played) at 23 years old. You just have to want to trade that because of an untimely injury.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
If there's a problem with our team, it's not John Gibson. 5 straight years of chokes and none of them were his fault.

He was horrible in Game 7 and let in a soft game winning goal in Game 2 against LA.
He put us in a 0-2 hole last year vs Nashville.
He was unavailable tonight vs Nashville.

Gibson is not THE reason, but he sure as hell is A reason.

Hopefully he gets his head straight and his...health straight too. He's capable of being very very good.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
He was horrible in Game 7 and let in a soft game winning goal in Game 2 against LA.

Hopefully he gets his head straight and his...health straight too. He's capable of being very very good.

Was Price amazing in his first season/playoffs?

He was not "A" reason that is close to the top of the list of reasons

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA

Hopefully he gets his head straight and his...health straight too.

I am concerned with his health and that's it. Not concerned about his abilities or his capabilities to step up in big games. Gibson was 20 years old at the time of that LA Game 7 and virtually untested at the NHL level. Everything you listed are growing pains. If he can stay healthy, he has a bright future in Anaheim. People need to stop jumping off the deep end because we didn't get spotless perfection from a rookie goaltender

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
I am concerned with his health and that's it. Not concerned about his abilities or his capabilities to step up in big games. Gibson was 20 years old at the time of that LA Game 7 and virtually untested at the NHL level. Everything you listed are growing pains. If he can stay healthy, he has a bright future in Anaheim. People need to stop jumping off the deep end because we didn't get spotless perfection from a rookie goaltender

Could not have said it better.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

I'm not arguing that. I responded to a post that said Gibson wasn't at fault for any of the last 5 choke jobs when he very clearly was. I also said he could be very very good.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
I'm not arguing that. I responded to a post that said Gibson wasn't at fault for any of the last 5 choke jobs when he very clearly was. I also said he could be very very good.

Sure he is at fault for some of those failures. It just seems kind of odd that people (not saying you but others) go to extreme lengths to blame Gibson, especially in any of those Game 7 fiascos, when those are instances of an entire team not showing up. These assertions that we "traded the wrong goalie" have no basis in reality. As if Andersen weren't at fault on several occasions in the playoffs. Gibson has been groomed as the franchise's goalie since the day he was drafted. It was always going to be him over Andersen and that was absolutely the right move. In his first year as starter, there was a lot to be encouraged from, there's also plenty he could improve on, that's the lot of developing goalies, it takes a while for them to be a finished product

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Sure he is at fault for some of those failures. It just seems kind of odd that people (not saying you but others) go to extreme lengths to blame Gibson, especially in any of those Game 7 fiascos, when those are instances of an entire team not showing up. These assertions that we "traded the wrong goalie" have no basis in reality. As if Andersen weren't at fault on several occasions in the playoffs. Gibson has been groomed as the franchise's goalie since the day he was drafted. It was always going to be him over Andersen and that was absolutely the right move. In his first year as starter, there was a lot to be encouraged from, there's also plenty he could improve on, that's the lot of developing goalies, it takes a while for them to be a finished product

There are people that anointed Gibson as a fantastic goalie WAY too soon, and there are those that act like he's still that guy from the LA series. I personally can't stand his inability to track the puck or cross the crease in a controlled fashion, but he's improved otherwise. I think Andersen should have started last year, because he's more of a finished product, but he's got different holes in his game. Gibson has more talent, but he's a lot more volatile too at this point in his career.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA

1) Gibson was 20 years old and he wasn't the only reason for that game.
2) Fair point, but once again he wasn't the only reason
3) Injury proneness is one thing but that's not his fault.

I just don't see how you can lay any blame on him. No goaltender is perfect, and Gibson has had his limited roles in past years' chokes, but the blame here falls squarely on our core.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Yeah sure, let's trade Gibson and start the season with Bernier as starter and Enroth as a backup. What could go wrong?

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Can't move on from Gibson, yet. He played pretty good against Nashville. We have no other goaltender to build around. Unless we're making a trade for Fleury, you have to keep Gibson.

I don't blame Gibson for the loss, but like DVM said, he's a part of it. The way he plays in goal makes him very injury prone imo. That's on Gibson. This is just the hand that Murray chose. He went with injury prone goaltender and that's just what we're going to have to deal with. We'll always need one of the more expensive backups in the league because of this.

I just want Gibson to stop swimming so ****ing often. And for the love of god, work on your puck tracking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad