Player Discussion John Gibson

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If (and that's a big if) he keeps up his post Christmas play he's probably going to get some Vezina consideration. Hopefully he stays playing at this level.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think Vezina is Dubnyk`s to lose. If Gibson continues the strong play, then I agree with Paul that he could at least get some consideration for it.
Especially since Getzlaf is having a mediocre season by his standards. :sarcasm:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I think Vezina is Dubnyk`s to lose. If Gibson continues the strong play, then I agree with Paul that he could at least get some consideration for it.
Especially since Getzlaf is having a mediocre season by his standards. :sarcasm:

Haha I wonder how many will get that reference

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
He's our best player this season, it's sad how much he is hung out to dry but still keeps us in it.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
And he's still an RFa after his contract expires I believe. Great contract and a solid return for Andersen as well

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
He's our best player this season, it's sad how much he is hung out to dry but still keeps us in it.

I don't agree he's our best player this season. I do think he's been our best player lately. Kesler and Fowler still deserve consideration for best of the season, and Kesler would be my choice right now.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
Pretty good NHL.com article on Gibson growing up a bit and maturing into his role.

Good read.

Always been a fan and big believer of Gibson. Nice to see him maturing and putting in the hard work to improve his game, instead of just relying on his talent. Crazy to think that he is still only 23. This guy could be in a Duck uniform for the next 10+ years...

wraparound

May 17, 2014
And he's still an RFa after his contract expires I believe. Great contract and a solid return for Andersen as well

Basically, Andersen for Sam Steel, who has been TEARING it up. I hated the trade at first because of my personal feelings about Freddie, but Gibson has proven himself as the right choice.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don't agree he's our best player this season. I do think he's been our best player lately. Kesler and Fowler still deserve consideration for best of the season, and Kesler would be my choice right now.

I disagree, I think Gibson has flat out stolen enough games that I would say he's been our clear MVP. Fowler has cooled off significantly and Kesler hasn't done anything much for a while now, he's really cooled off too. I would argue that even Getzlaf has surpassed Kesler in terms of importance given that he's produced at a higher rate with absolute garbage for a RWer. I can only imagine the points he would have if Perry wasn't playing on his line for 3/4 of the year.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013

Kesler has slowed down just watching him. Fowler had a great start but is back to normal, Gibson has won us games by himself.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Kesler has slowed down just watching him. Fowler had a great start but is back to normal, Gibson has won us games by himself.

Dude, he's a goaltender. Skaters can't win games by themselves. The closest I've ever seen from a skater, in an Anaheim uniform, is Scott Niedermayer in 2005-2006. If that's the bar, our goaltender is always our MVP. And I agree both of those players have slowed down(though, both of them are still playing key roles), but Gibson hardly started the season on fire. Maybe I just look beyond the last month or two when I look at players. For the first part of the season, I wouldn't have had Gibson as our MVP. He has been lately. :dunno:

Gibson has been terrific, but he's had a lot of help defensively for most of the season. For that reason, I don't see him as the clear season MVP. Lately, I think the team has been hanging him out to dry more, which is why I think he has been the MVP lately. If this keeps up, by the end of the season he probably would be, but your statement feels a bit too much "what have you done for me lately?"

Oct 18, 2011

Kesler was run into the ground its no surprise he's slowing down Gibson has bailed this team out, maybe he just plays better when asked to do so

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
As much as I like Gibson and as happy as I am with him proving my confidence in him this right this quickly, he has had stretches of average play this year just like Kesler and Fowler. I think they, along with Getzlaf, are all basically tied for MVP-status as of now. If Gibson can keep 2017 form up, it will be hard to take that label away from him at the end of the season, though.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Kesler is still getting chances, they're just not going in. He's always been streaky, I don't think he's been overworked to the point that he's all of a sudden not effective (although I still think his ice time needs to be reduced), he just hasn't been as lucky.

Also I am not sure piece of **** is a great descriptive phrase for Carlyle in regards to his usage of players. Stubborn or slow to learn are more appropriate.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Also I am not sure piece of **** is a great descriptive phrase for Carlyle in regards to his usage of players. Stubborn or slow to learn are more appropriate.

How about stubborn piece of ****? :naughty:

Gibson's been a big part of our success. He's stolen a lot of games for us, and I would disagree that our defensive play is a reason for his strong play. (which it was last year) Bieksa has been on a whole new level of bad this year, and our team defense has been very inconsistent and downright bad at times. He's had to stand on his head a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad