Player Discussion John Gibson

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I know this franchise has been spoiled maybe as much as any other when it comes to goaltending, but sheesh. Yeah, we have a 23 year old who was what, top 5 in GAA and Save%, and people desperately want to move that?

DuckDude

Mar 16, 2017
I know this franchise has been spoiled maybe as much as any other when it comes to goaltending, but sheesh. Yeah, we have a 23 year old who was what, top 5 in GAA and Save%, and people desperately want to move that?

Peope are not doubting his ability to play, they are doubting his ability to be a #1 goalie and last a full season.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
I think for the next two seasons at least the Ducks have to and will go with Gibson. Financially there's not much room to go after an established no. 1 and let's be honest, Gibson's on a great deal right now. No, I'm definitely not a fan of him and was hoping there would've been a way to keep Freddie instead. He makes me nervous, always did, with his style and short comings. But still he's young with plenty of room and potential to grow and his quality-price ratio is excellent which helps the Ducks to play around with three high priced forwards (+Bieksa & Stoner contracts).

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Gibson probably wont be elite and able to finish a whole season + postseason until hes at least 27 or 28. By then it will be too late for this team. Price is about that age but he has had injury problems somewhat recently also. Trading Gibson for Price is risky and probably not worth the gamble.

I know this is a crazy idea but what about Lundqvist? Hes going to retire soon and probably wants one last chance to win a cup, which wont happen with the Rangers. He hasnt been that great with the Rangers recently but the defense in front of him has always been really bad, but he still kept them in a lot of games. One thing you can rely on him to do is be ready to play every night, make the stops that he should make, frequently make highlight reel stops, and be durable enough to play a full season / postseason. Its a total fantasy but it would be really awesome. He makes 9 milion right now and has a 4 years left on his deal. Doubt he would ever pass up that kind of money for a buyout.

Huh? Rakell, Silverberg, Fowler, Ritchie, Vatanen (maybe), Montour, Manson, Lindholm will all be in the same age cohort and good enough to build a team around. Plus you add hopefully Steel, Nattinen, Jones, Larsson, we will be ok if Gibson hits his prime at 27. Not saying all those players will be here at that time but a majority will and should be a solid team based on those players.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Peope are not doubting his ability to play, they are doubting his ability to be a #1 goalie and last a full season.

The injury stuff is a valid concern, but it clearly goes beyond that, and thats clearly ridiculous. He might finish top 5 in Vezina voting this year at age 23, but I have my doubts he can actually be the guy. Such a bad take.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Surprised/not surprised to see people rallying around Gibson after that performance. The only thing preventing him from being the worst goalie in the playoffs was Bryan Elliot. He had a great regular season though.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Surprised/not surprised to see people rallying around Gibson after that performance. The only thing preventing him from being the worst goalie in the playoffs was Bryan Elliot. He had a great regular season though.

Gibson has flaws to his game that can be torn to shreds by a skilled team. He got exposed because we had no healthy defense in from of him, and because we played teams with extremely skilled players in the first two rounds. As we started playing a team with far less skill, and started getting defensemen back, he looked better.

He's not currently a guy who can carry a team against a well coached, high skill team. He's a guy who can excel in a tight defense, limit the side to side shot system.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Worst goalie in the playoffs? That's amusing considering he was good in Calgary series and was at worse matching Rinne through the first 4 games of the Nashville series, if not playing better. Edmonton series was up and down, had some bad performances and had performances that gave the team the chance to win despite giving up a boatload of scoring chances. But if that makes him the worst goalie in the playoffs apart from Elliot, then ok.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Gibson has flaws to his game that can be torn to shreds by a skilled team. He got exposed because we had no healthy defense in from of him, and because we played teams with extremely skilled players in the first two rounds. As we started playing a team with far less skill, and started getting defensemen back, he looked better.

He's not currently a guy who can carry a team against a well coached, high skill team. He's a guy who can excel in a tight defense, limit the side to side shot system.

He looked better, but still pretty pedestrian. Presumably he was playing hurt yet again.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada

I disagree. He faced the highest amount of dangerous shots compared to any other goalie. Our defense was soft and many goals were scored due to our defensemen shoving someone on top of him. Also, we had a team in front of him that couldn't play consistent and at times had troubles scoring goals. I think Gibson was fine for where he is at in his career.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
I think it has to be recognized that in every series we've lost in this current run (since the Kings), we've lost the goaltending battle more or less decisively.

I someone like Cory Schneider is available, you have too look at him in my opinion.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I disagree. He faced the highest amount of dangerous shots compared to any other goalie. Our defense was soft and many goals were scored due to our defensemen shoving someone on top of him. Also, we had a team in front of him that couldn't play consistent and at times had troubles scoring goals. I think Gibson was fine for where he is at in his career.

This is what people generally mean when they say Gibson was good. They mean he met their expectations, given whatever limitations they're in the mood to forgive. He met mine, too, but that doesn't mean he was good.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Gibson

.924 SV% 4th best in NHL for someone with at least 40 games played
6 shutouts 6th most in the NHL

I would say Gibson was good this season. The playoffs he wasn't as good but stastically speaking he wasn't that bad.

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
Gibson

.924 SV% 4th best in NHL for someone with at least 40 games played
6 shutouts 6th most in the NHL

I would say Gibson was good this season. The playoffs he wasn't as good but stastically speaking he wasn't that bad.

Unfortunately like many of the Ducks, he just wasn't good enough :help:

My question about Gibson given his age and durability issues is how much better can we expect him to be ? Is he good enough playing 50 games a year (with the inevitable risk of injury during the playoffs when we need him the most) to remain our long term solution in net ?

His durability concerns me as we can never know when he might tweak his groin again, and having to maintain a long term 1B backup strategy is not a long term strategy. I hope our training staff has a good idea about how to keep him healthy and on the ice (strength training, stretching exercises, etc ...) or they'll have to look for other options at some point.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Unfortunately like many of the Ducks, he just wasn't good enough :help:

My question about Gibson given his age and durability issues is how much better can we expect him to be ? Is he good enough playing 50 games a year (with the inevitable risk of injury during the playoffs when we need him the most) to remain our long term solution in net ?

His durability concerns me as we can never know when he might tweak his groin again, and having to maintain a long term 1B backup strategy is not a long term strategy. I hope our training staff has a good idea about how to keep him healthy and on the ice (strength training, stretching exercises, etc ...) or they'll have to look for other options at some point.

His durability is a question, but his age? I know it's easy to forget, but he's way ahead of where a 23 year old goalie should be. There's little reason to think we've seen nearly his best.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
His durability is a question, but his age? I know it's easy to forget, but he's way ahead of where a 23 year old goalie should be. There's little reason to think we've seen nearly his best.

I think the concern is Gibson getting injured so much at his young age. Doesn't bode well for his longevity.

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA

I didn't mean that he was an old age for a goalie. However, he's been a goalie enough years to raise durability concerns that maybe he will continue to have regular groin/lower body issues going forward. It's not like it is a recent problem or a random event. The organization has had a few years now to find a way to keep him healthy and on the ice, and we've been unable to do so. Not everyone can hold up the physical demands of being an NHL goalie, even if one has the necessary skills and mental toughness.

Maybe Gibson will never become a goalie who can remain healthy for an entire season and start 60-65 games, which would be disappointing to the organization and fans. While the jury is still out today, how long does the organization continue to depend upon a goalie with a wonky groin who may or may not be there in a key game when you really need him ? :dunno:

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I didn't mean that he was an old age for a goalie. However, he's been a goalie enough years to raise durability concerns that maybe he will continue to have regular groin/lower body issues going forward. It's not like it is a recent problem or a random event. The organization has had a few years now to find a way to keep him healthy and on the ice, and we've been unable to do so. Not everyone can hold up the physical demands of being an NHL goalie, even if one has the necessary skills and mental toughness.

Maybe Gibson will never become a goalie who can remain healthy for an entire season and start 60-65 games, which would be disappointing to the organization and fans. While the jury is still out today, how long does the organization continue to depend upon a goalie with a wonky groin who may or may not be there in a key game when you really need him ? :dunno:

Oh ok, I just don't see much correlation with age. If anything, as he gains more experience and plays more games, it should get better. I think it has been, he set a career high this year and would've been close to 60 if he didn't rush back IMO.

Injuries are a little weird, IIRC a few young goalies dealt with them, and then theres a guy like DiPietro who was quite healthy when he established himself as a starter and then completely fell apart.

Either way, I'm not too worried, and there's not a lot we can do about it. With his age, ability, potential and price, its impossible to divorce him now IMO. Thats something that could kill a franchise.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012

This guy is usually spot on for injuries, not sure if anyone else follows. Several weeks.. I’m hoping only 2-3.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Shit...
But he did skate it off himself?

In any case, WTF Wheeler, you were turning with one skate and remaining the same direction with the other?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad