Confirmed with Link: John Forslund to Seattle

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
JF just said on Sirius he’s had the new job since around Christmas. Also, on the first day that news leaked out about his Canes negotiation issues, Francis reached out to him in a supportive capacity.

JF said he had a fabulous run in Carolina and wonderful memories. And the fans support of him and the whole Caniac identity meant the world to him. So complimentary of the fan base and area in the interview.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
You're saying that he's going to pay price for this. It's probably not going to be lost interest in a winning product. That leaves mean tweets.
I don't believe for a second that we've exhausted the things to be considered in terms of the price being paid. For instance, look at the comments that followed yours regarding Tripp...until now, none of us included that as a collateral cost. Even the ones that have been discussed aren't simply categorized as "loss of fan interest".

But sure, disgust from fans...how much does that cost? Who knows. How much would Tripp's departure be worth monetarily? Who knows. How much does it cost to replace the face and voice of your organization? Who knows. How much does it cost for your organization to lose a portion of its reputation? Who knows. How much does it cost you in future contract negotiations? Who knows. How much does turnover cost? Who knows. Dundon is treating his personnel decisions like a CEO looks at FTEs, and I think that will deal him microcuts in the NHL world, tiny liabilities that won't have an obvious monetary consequence.

So yeah...who knows. My assertion is the "chump change" Dundon wouldn't pay Forslund pales comparatively.

Btw, it would be interesting to compare Dundon's approach to that of Mark Cuban.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
If Dundon continues to commit to spending to the cap on the ice, and continues to choose his front office wisely, and we win, then that's good enough.

If not, then it'll all be shitty anyway. I watched this team lose for a decade and was already disconnecting. Johnny wouldn't have made the difference.

WingedEye

Apr 24, 2013
Cary, NC
I apologize if someone has already made this point but I think many are looking at this slightly incorrect as it pertains to the on-ice product. Clearly Forslund's and Kaiton's salaries combined are a relative drop in the bucket as players salaries go, thus there would be minimal impact there. But, what if letting those two go shifted salary allocations to Tulsky and Yorke thus keeping them from pursuing other opportunities? Those two definitely impact the on-ice product and, quite frankly, that's a trade I'd make every day, although not an easy one to pull the trigger on from a sentimental viewpoint.

Reactions: Navin R Slavin

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
If Dundon continues to commit to spending to the cap on the ice, and continues to choose his front office wisely, and we win, then that's good enough.

If not, then it'll all be shitty anyway. I watched this team lose for a decade and was already disconnecting. Johnny wouldn't have made the difference.
whycantwehaveboth.gif

Rick Davis

Dec 31, 2020
Am I the only one surprised that NBC has not officially named John as Doc Emrick’s successor for all national broadcasts? Sure seems like they have been grooming John for such a role these past several years...of course the news that NBCSN is winding down this year and rumors that hockey might be returning to ESPN might have something to do with it.

At any rate I am happy John found a new gig for himself and I look forward to his telecasts via Center Ice next season. I fully expect Tripp will join him next season as well so more power to both of them!

Reactions: WreckingCrew

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
We'll see on Brindy. He's been open about not wanting to coach elsewhere and many of the more reliable pundits have said they think we get a deal done with Brindy. Certainly, all that could change, but I'm not buying it at this point. I also feel like Brindy is one of the guys that Dundon has made no bones about knowing how important he is. That doesn't mean it won't be a difficult negotiation as it has been under Dundon, but I'd imagine it gets done as of this point in time. That info being fed could be similar to the tactic of Don interviewing with the Wild to finally get what he needed.

I would be shocked if Dundon let Brind'Amour go unless he was asking for some sort of astronomical salary... which seems very un-Brindy like.

As much as we all love Forslund, which is a ton, he literally does nothing to improve the on ice results and probably very little in terms of TV ratings and bottom line. It's sad but true. No significantly measurable amount Canes fan will boycott watching games or supporting the Canes because of that move.

Going cheapskate with Brindy to bring in an inferior coach WILL lead to worse on ice results and that effects the bottom line. Rod was somewhat fortunate to even been given the HC job as he'd never done it before anywhere. It's worked out well and he's proven himself over 2-3 years to be as good a leader on the bench as he was on the ice. Barring something disastrous this should be Rod's job as long as he wants it and doesn't ask for the moon in terms of salary.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Am I the only one surprised that NBC has not officially named John as Doc Emrick’s successor for all national broadcasts? Sure seems like they have been grooming John for such a role these past several years...of course the news that NBCSN is winding down this year and rumors that hockey might be returning to ESPN might have something to do with it.

At any rate I am happy John found a new gig for himself and I look forward to his telecasts via Center Ice next season. I fully expect Tripp will join him next season as well so more power to both of them!

I'm pretty confident it's the contract issue. If NBC wins the tv rights again they will name someone no reason to sign a contract for someone and only have Olympic hockey for them to call after this season.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Here's an easy way to tell who's #1. Wait for the SCF. Also, I've said it for a while, but while John is clearly well thought of by NBC, Kenny Albert was often the guy getting secondary duties after Doc, like the opposite conference final. John isn't guaranteed to be the #1 guy this year or in the future should they stay. As for so far this year, I think the two of them have kinda split the "big" games.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Love John and he is the best at what he does, but Im a Canes fan and started watching them from national broadcast games only cause I wasnt in the viewing area. I only got to know john and Tripp from Chopper Harrisons show and the last 4 years that I have had NHL.TV. So good luck John, if Tripp joins him good luck Tripp. I will watch Mike, Jason, Sara, Abby, Shane, ect. ect. I watch for the hockey not the talk.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I would be shocked if Dundon let Brind'Amour go unless he was asking for some sort of astronomical salary... which seems very un-Brindy like.
I've posted this before and even though I have no real evidence to back it up I really believe it: whenever Brind'Amour finishes his hurricanes coaching career, he will not be a head coach for any other team. He may work somewhere else in some capacity (though I even kinda doubt that) but I don't think he's actually interested in coaching as a career or an art form. I think his only real interest is helping this team become a consistent winner. Even his recent comments on Lorentz lead me to think this. He didn't say "he's a hard worker," or "he's a pro," he said, "he's a Cane." I've never met the guy but I think Brind'Amour in a very personal way wants this team to be relevant and respected and knows he can build that identity. I may be totally misanalyzing but thats the sense I get and I just don't think he would be anywhere near as interested in coaching another team.

VibesAlive

Coastal Jerk
Jun 3, 2018
Salt Marsh NC
I've posted this before and even though I have no real evidence to back it up I really believe it: whenever Brind'Amour finishes his hurricanes coaching career, he will not be a head coach for any other team. He may work somewhere else in some capacity (though I even kinda doubt that) but I don't think he's actually interested in coaching as a career or an art form. I think his only real interest is helping this team become a consistent winner. Even his recent comments on Lorentz lead me to think this. He didn't say "he's a hard worker," or "he's a pro," he said, "he's a Cane." I've never met the guy but I think Brind'Amour in a very personal way wants this team to be relevant and respected and knows he can build that identity. I may be totally misanalyzing but thats the sense I get and I just don't think he would be anywhere near as interested in coaching another team.
Don't send Dundon this.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Almost like you've read a quote from the man before:

“It’ll happen here,” Brind’Amour said Friday morning. “I don’t see myself doing this long-term. And I don’t see myself doing it anywhere else. I took this job for this purpose, to kind of see if I could help to get us back on track and I don’t think my heart would be in it anywhere else. That’d be hard to do. I get it. I get it why coaches coach one and then the next day they’re trading the hat, and I just don’t think I could do that. It wouldn’t be real.”

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Tripp to Seattle next year E5...

Shane Willis will be in the booth with the Big Rig
Better get Kraken on that roadie.

Mike & Shane? Brutally bad. That'd be the worst tandem in all of the NHL. Mike is a good guy and I wanted to see how he'd do calling a live game but...wow...calling his call mediocre is a bridge too far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad