Confirmed with Link: John Forslund to Seattle

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don't think Dundon saved enough money to make it worth the price he's going to pay for losing Forslund. That difference is chump change for a billionaire.
It was the extortionary change in the contract model for everyone in the whole department, that everyone else (~30 persons incl. Tripp) felt forced to take but Forslund alone held out.

Sir Francis Kraken is gonna have another expansion draft on the personnel on the side next summer, largely on the Hurricanes organization.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
This so much. People will stick around if the team is winning but the lean times will come, and they need to build a cache of goodwill before they do. Heck its hard to even watch old canes highlights, something I do with embarrassing regularity, because John is so woven into that experience.

If tripp goes I may have a personal crisis
I think you really overestimate how many people actually care who the PBP person is.

In fact, a lot of people I have run into actually were annoyed with Forslund and Kaiton because they played it too neutral on the broadcast saying they tired of them getting as excited for opponent goals as they would for the Canes. And really, the only driving factor about the team itself will be how competitive it is on the ice. Having a good PBP guy isn't going to make people watch a bad product.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
I think you really overestimate how many people actually care who the PBP person is.

In fact, a lot of people I have run into actually were annoyed with Forslund and Kaiton because they played it too neutral on the broadcast saying they tired of them getting as excited for opponent goals as they would for the Canes. And really, the only driving factor about the team itself will be how competitive it is on the ice. Having a good PBP guy isn't going to make people watch a bad product.
I don't know about that. All those lean years it was JF & TT who kept me watching some bad hockey. Hardly missed a game as their banter made watching enjoyable. Even now with good hockey the broadcasts aren't as enjoyable. Tripp isn't quite as crazy. I would not be surprised if he joins John. Mike & Shane won't be near as much fun.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I don't have a disagreement with those who say that his value simply as the PBP guy is perhaps overstated. The crux of my argument is Forslund was not merely a PBP guy, his value went well past the role that Maniscalco will serve. If you disagree, picture for a moment who leads the next on-ice ceremony.

Forslund wasn't just the PBP guy.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yes, but they would still be a step up from Mike. He was very good at hosting and doing interviews and media. I don't like him as much in the new role.
That’s fair. I’m m just not sure who they could get that was better than Mike. Shaya (or whatever his name was) certainly wasn’t. No clue who else may or may not have been available.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I don't know about that. All those lean years it was JF & TT who kept me watching some bad hockey. Hardly missed a game as their banter made watching enjoyable. Even now with good hockey the broadcasts aren't as enjoyable.
Exactly. It wasn't just the team, it was the continuity, the connection, the community, whatever you want to call it. There was a clear throughline from the good times to the present even though the present stunk, results wise. Tripp and Mike aren't bad together and will hopefully have time to grow into a dynamic that works, but especially there towards the end when they really leaned into it, John and Tripp's odd couple bromance was amost as big a part of the experience as the game itself.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I'm still pissed at Tom Dundon for letting Forslund go, and to a lesser extent, at Forslund for not taking a deal. Forslund is a top tier announcer that makes games more enjoyable, and he had a working history with this franchise going back to the Hartford Whaler days before a lot of people were even Hurricane fans (myself included). There should have at least been a middle ground/compromise between Dundon and Forslund for the contract. That kind of long term dedication (and talent) to an organization should be treasured. He was THE voice of this organization since the Hurricanes were created. This is of course after the Hurricanes let Chuck Kaiton go. Let's see if Dundon will low ball Brind'Amour in the future too. /vent

Anyway, I'm just glad Forslund has a regular broadcast job now with someone. At least he isn't the announcer for teams we don't like such as the Caps.

skipnjump

Apr 6, 2019
NC
I don't have a disagreement with those who say that his value simply as the PBP guy is perhaps overstated. The crux of my argument is Forslund was not merely a PBP guy, his value went well past the role that Maniscalco will serve. If you disagree, picture for a moment who leads the next on-ice ceremony.

Forslund wasn't just the PBP guy.
You're right. He called the Canes 5K. Hearing that voice call out your number when you crossed the finish line was very cool.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Let's put it this way: I believe it wasn't too long ago that we were trying to figure out the Hurricanes "Mount Rushmore", and in addition to the players you'd expect (Staal, Francis, Brindamour, Ward, Williams, etc), Forslund was an acceptable answer in many of them.

What other PBP guys can claim to be near Stanley Cup-winning players in terms of importance to the franchise?

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I was there for the Francis number retirement and the Cup banner. I can't even remember if John did anything for those and some other smaller ceremonies. So, no, doesn't really matter for me. I also didn't get more than a very minor thrill to have him call my number called at the 5k. To each their own I suppose.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Guys guys guys, we're thinking about it wrong. Just think of how beneficial saving the money was, it might allow us to throw an extra 50k guaranteed to 1 or 2 AHL vets over the next season or two.

But seriously, while I love Forslund and realize he was absolutely a valuable part of the Carolina Hurricanes product for a long time, I've moved on. Ultimately I root for the guys behind the bench and while it always sucks to lose a long time member of the organization, it's not going to ruin my fandom.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Guys guys guys, we're thinking about it wrong. Just think of how beneficial saving the money was, it might allow us to throw an extra 50k guaranteed to 1 or 2 AHL vets over the next season or two.

But seriously, while I love Forslund and realize he was absolutely a valuable part of the Carolina Hurricanes product for a long time, I've moved on. Ultimately I root for the guys behind the bench and while it always sucks to lose a long time member of the organization, it's not going to ruin my fandom.
Absolutely. I would have liked if they did whatever it took to keep Forslund. They didn't feel they could make it happen and I understood. I like announcers but I don't cheer for any teams because of the announcers.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Let’s not kid ourselves, Tripp is gone if he gets another offer. I don’t remember the exact quote, but just after John left there was an interview with him or someone else that relayed how close he was to not taking a deal as well. And if John and Tripp are as close as I think, I bet John knows what Tripp would do if Francis offered him a contract when Tripp’s is up this summer...and has told Ron exactly that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad