Confirmed with Link: John Forslund to Seattle

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I think I put my finger on it last night when someone laid a big hit and MM tried to up the intensity in his voice. It just kinda squeaked out, almost like the cracking of a pubescent boy's voice. I would liken it to a singer who has a nice voice but can't belt out a song, so an attempt to cover Ann Wilson or Elton John falls flat. And just like some skills in hockey, I don't think this is a skill that can be learned.

But we'll see, I suppose.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I think I put my finger on it last night when someone laid a big hit and MM tried to up the intensity in his voice. It just kinda squeaked out, almost like the cracking of a pubescent boy's voice. I would liken it to a singer who has a nice voice but can't belt out a song, so an attempt to cover Ann Wilson or Elton John falls flat. And just like some skills in hockey, I don't think this is a skill that can be learned.

But we'll see, I suppose.

I think it can be learned, and I think he will. He's still finding his announcing voice, but he's been doing broadcasting his entire career.

He's being graded on a hell of a curve, is all.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm just really glad we haven't been subjected to "DEAR GUSSIE!" so far this season. Hopefully that's been retired.

I did kind of like "WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?" but it only fits for exceptional plays, so I don't see him getting to use it very often.
I don't know if he will continue to do it but he literally did it because a friend/co-worker asked him to as a shout out to his grandmother who would say that. He did say he would only use it for an amazing glove save that stopped play. Not sure if we have had one of those this season where he would have done it. Not my thing either, but whatever.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The first time I heard about that on the news I thought they said "chapel hill autozone" and was like "oh my god thats so close to me and also a very strange place to be the epicenter of all this"
Back in the days of the Georgian War some guy off Atlanta was questioning the reports on the internet as he didn't see any Russian tanks.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
yeah, I have to say early returns on Mike in the new season aren't all that great, but he's still got a lot of growing to do as a PBP guy.

you could tell against the Lightning he was trying to be a bit more descriptive in a television-audience sort of way, instead of endless naming of players on the ice, which would fit a bit more in a radio environment. but it's still an awkward fit.

there's plenty of time for him to ease in, but to me there's no doubt it's still a bit awkward. oddly he seemed to have more trouble the other night being actually in the booth for the live action, vs describing things on a monitor during the bubble and for the early away games to start this year.

Reactions: DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Big Rig is in a tough spot learning how to be the man as he goes at the highest level, I think he’s doing his very best and is a likeable guy.

He’s pretty brutal. He gets names wrong all game, has no flow, and you can hear him thinking his way through most situations. It’s unfair expectations. It can take years to learn how to do this I’m sure, if ever.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Big Rig is in a tough spot learning how to be the man as his goes at the highest level, I think he’s doing his very best and is a likeable guy.

He’s pretty brutal. He gets names wrong all game, has no flow, and you can hear him thinking his way through most situations. It’s unfair expectations. It can take years to learn how to do this I’m sure, if ever.
And he’s following one of the best in the business.

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
Big Rig is in a tough spot learning how to be the man as his goes at the highest level, I think he’s doing his very best and is a likeable guy.

Any time 2 players on opposing teams make contact it’s a “Big Hit!” in his eyes.

Edit: I’m definitely that guy who says “Big Stretch” anytime my dog stretches so I guess I’m being pretty hypocritical here

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Any time 2 players on opposing teams make contact it’s a “Big Hit!” in his eyes.

Edit: I’m definitely that guy who says “Big Stretch” anytime my dog stretches so I guess I’m being pretty hypocritical here

IMG_20201230_114653454.jpg

BIG tug

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Big Rig is in a tough spot learning how to be the man as he goes at the highest level, I think he’s doing his very best and is a likeable guy.

We have got ourselves an overpromotion vs rising through the ranks situation. I am just glad I haven't had to listen from the car yet.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
oddly he seemed to have more trouble the other night being actually in the booth for the live action, vs describing things on a monitor during the bubble and for the early away games to start this year.

that actually makes sense to me - calling off of a monitor means he is only calling the action being shown to the home audience. for live action paying attention to the ice, you aren't aware of exactly what is being presented.

i know when i was at games in the before times sometimes something away from the puck catches my eye. sometimes it is interesting and ends up as part of the play, sometimes not. i've never thought about it but i guess pbp folks have to fight that urge to look at something that is not directly part of the on-puck action due to what the cameras are likely showing. i guess that is what replay is for.

or am i really ignorant in how the game is generally called in the booth? do some guys cheat and stare at the scoreboard or a monitor instead of just watching the ice?

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
do some guys cheat and stare at the scoreboard or a monitor instead of just watching the ice?
No idea, but I'll offer this: when we'd get glimpses of Forslund and Tracy, Forslund always seemed to be standing up and watching the ice while doing the call, while Tripp was seated in front of a monitor.

Whatever the case, I can imagine it's hard to see the jersey numbers from the booth and for MM's part, 98% of the time, it has to be instantaneous. I'd imagine that's challenging.

That's why I am reserved about what I'm willing to critique him on at this early stage. I believe a physical impairment -- his voice -- may end up being his true limiting factor, because I don't agree with Hank that he can learn how to belt that shit out. If that sort of thing could simply be learned, professional singers wouldn't allow the limitation to persist...that's their livelihood, after all.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think Mike would be more successful if he wasn't trying to imitate Forslund. His goal calls sound like a comedian mocking his own goal calls. Maybe a more concise "AND. HE. SCORES." would suit him rather than the Fred Flintstone orgasm (this has me ded).

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
One thing I miss that I haven't heard mentioned enough is Forslund's insight into the game and the Canes team. Maybe not even as much during his call, but outside of the actual game, as well. As mentioned by others, not as much a criticism of Mike as an acknowledgement of what Forslund brought.

Last edited:

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
I think Mike would be more successful if he wasn't trying to imitate Forslund. His goal calls sound like a comedian mocking his own goal calls. Maybe a more concise "AND. HE. SCORES." would suit him rather than the Fred Flintstone orgasm (this has me ded).
Yes. The goal scoring intonation is not one of his positive traits. You can tell he us pushing and it it isn't natural sounding at all.

Reactions: skipnjump

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
And he’s following one of the best in the business.

Exactly....plus, related to that was the fact that John was uber-prepared. I remember a story about the prep work/time he put in before each game and his notebook filled with, well, notes. It certainly gave a little more personality to the call given that he seemed to have a tidbit about everybody.

That's why I am reserved about what I'm willing to critique him on at this early stage.

I'm with you there....give it some time. It's a very hard job and he's trying to get better each game. At the end of the season is when I'll really think about it....besides, I'm also one of the folks that sometimes just jams out to tunes while I watch.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Exactly....plus, related to that was the fact that John was uber-prepared. I remember a story about the prep work/time he put in before each game and his notebook filled with, well, notes. It certainly gave a little more personality to the call given that he seemed to have a tidbit about everybody.
True. And it’s easier to be more effective in that when you’ve been in the business as long as John has. A lot of his information is something he’s seen, read or heard before so he can recall it during his prep vs. having to research everything. Mike doesn’t have base of knowledge to call upon, so I imagine the preparation is a lot harder and much less efficient.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
No idea, but I'll offer this: when we'd get glimpses of Forslund and Tracy, Forslund always seemed to be standing up and watching the ice while doing the call, while Tripp was seated in front of a monitor.

Whatever the case, I can imagine it's hard to see the jersey numbers from the booth and for MM's part, 98% of the time, it has to be instantaneous. I'd imagine that's challenging.

That's why I am reserved about what I'm willing to critique him on at this early stage. I believe a physical impairment -- his voice -- may end up being his true limiting factor, because I don't agree with Hank that he can learn how to belt that shit out. If that sort of thing could simply be learned, professional singers wouldn't allow the limitation to persist...that's their livelihood, after all.

But he doesn't need to belt it out. In fact, he needs to learn to *not* belt it out. Most of the best guys don't. Think of Jim Hughson for the Canucks.

He's been an on-air broadcaster for 25 years, big chunks of it in drive time. He's got the voice for it, whether you like that voice or not. If he focuses on getting the call right, he can leave the personality to Tripper. That's his job.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00