Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
That’s pain baby...
E4AFDD1B-2000-4BC0-9780-05E507380BA9.png

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm still very confused why Carolina let him go. He was basically the only TV voice of the Canes and a holdover from Hartford. Letting him go was just bad IMO. Maniscalco is okay but not Forslund.

Because Tom Dundon looked at the economics of it and decided that what John Forslund brought from a revenue standpoint didn't exceed what Tom Dundon had to pay him. Figured viewership wouldn't suffer without Forslund so he went with a cheaper option. Not saying Tom Dundon is right or wrong on this, but that's why.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I'm still very confused why Carolina let him go. He was basically the only TV voice of the Canes and a holdover from Hartford. Letting him go was just bad IMO. Maniscalco is okay but not Forslund.
Dundon puts all of his money into the on the ice product. He isn’t willing to spend any more than he has to on non-players and supporting those players.

Dundon offered the same deal he offered 16 other staff members and John wasn’t willing to take it. Dundon wasn’t negotiating either. The deal was a lower guaranteed salary but more would be available depending on how many fans were able to attend games. Dundon wanted to limit his spending unless he had revenue.

edit* boom boom beat me to it

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Yep, it was clear the bridges were burned here in Carolina, which I'm sure Dundon didn't lose any sleep over. Going out to be with Francis just made too much sense.

Add to that he’s done a lot of Western Conference playoff stuff for NBC and I’m guessing being based out there would make his travel for that less of a nightmare.

I do wonder if the end of NBCSN pushed John to pull the trigger now based on the timing here though.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The thing about this is that I think, at least fundamentally, Dundon's 100% right about Forslund not being necessary to TV ratings, but ONLY if we're a winning franchise going forward for the next decade. Without that, he may as well be risking a lot of goodwill with the old fanbase, so he better hope that he hires the right folks in hockey operations to use his open checkbook on the roster wisely!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad