Confirmed with Link: John Chayka Terminates Contract with Coyotes; Steve Sullivan named interim GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Ray Shero is my pick.

I think Shero checks the most boxes. GM experience with Pittsburgh and New Jersey and AGM experience with Ottawa and Nashville. Has a Cup ring with the Penguins too. Relatively young (58) by GM standards.

Shero is also a killer in trades with some really solid acquisitions like Hall, Palmieri, Iginla, Hossa, Subban (for basically nothing), the returns for Jordan Staal and Alex Goligoski, etc. Lots of solid trade history to choose from. Equally impressive draft record including Staal, Muzzin, Rust, Maatta, Murray, Guetzel, Jarry, Zacha, Blackwood, Anderson, Bratt, Hischier, Smith, Hughes, etc.

Contract wise, he didn't leave the Devils locked into any stupid deals. No absurd free agent signings. Too hard to go back and check that stuff with the Penguins but nothing striking comes to mind.

Shero also has some moxie and is undoubtedly well liked around the league.

The biggest red flag seems to be he waits too long to fire his coach, both in Pittsburgh and Jersey. But I think with how we're situated that doesn't really matter. It's likely a safe bet that he's going to want to bring in his own guy rather than keep Tocchet. So I'm not too concerned that three years from now he won't fire our next coach. I just want the current coach replaced. The other point of contention is his hirings are generally underwhelming (Bylsma, Hynes, etc.) but I'd venture that at those times he didn't have some fantastic candidates like Boudreau, Laviolette, Gallant, etc. available on the sidelines.

My runner up is probably Lombardi. Like Shero, neither has direct scouting experience, but both have Cup success and are a bit brash too. Where I see the separation is Lombardi has been more removed from the game directly for multiple seasons (difficult to quantify how tasking it has been to be an 'advisor' in Philly). Then the other big piece is he made some absolutely crippling moves trying to keep the Cup team together like the Brown and Quick contracts, didn't use a compliance buyout on Richards, turned that into an ugly mess, and then other areas like flaunting the Voynov suspension and costing the Kings a $100,000 fine. Loyal to a fault.

Edit: I don't think the fact that Shero traded Hall affects the negotiations. It was obvious to everyone including Hall that given his expiring contract and where the Devils were in the standings that he was being moved.

Reactions: Jakey53

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Tocchet is a mediocre coach at best. No one is going to bat an eye if he's fired. Especially with a new GM. If Tocchet gets them to the finals or something, he'll have earned the last year of his contract. If not, he's almost guaranteed to be replaced by the new GM. Absolutely noone around the league will care if he's replaced. Keeping him would be more "questionable".

Most of these points are 100% correct. It's also very hard to argue that Tocchet is a better coach than either Lavi, Gallant, or Boudreau. But, think about the optics.

Our owner is trying to get a new arena. Whichever decision maker he's talking to Arizona is most likely a casual fan if that. All this person will know about our org is, "historically a s***show, team is supposedly improving but the GM quit on the eve of the playoffs, new owner but maybe they are still a s***show why should we invest in them?"

Firing Tocchet, while warranted would contribute to this sense of organizational instability. IMO far too much of a risk for the owner to take, especially when we need a new arena

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
1) OK - so does Bettman have the legal standing to adjudicate this? What if one side doesn't like his decision?

2) What are the odds this is settled without damages? I think letting Chayka walk without consequence from a contract would worry ownership groups.

1) Bettman does not have legal authority to adjudicate a contract dispute between the Coyotes and Chayka unless both of them agree to do so, or the contract requires it. Either of which seem highly improbable.

Bettman does have the authority to adjudicate disputes between the 31 teams and their owners. Which means it's far more likely the request for Bettman's involvement would be between the Coyotes and the owner/team seeking to hire Chayka.

2) Odds of damages between the Coyotes and Chayka involving his contract? Probably within a rounding error of 0%. Maybe at worst there's some sort of dispute about stuff like bonuses, deferred benefits, or incentives that's likely settled out of court.

Odds of punitive discipline by Bettman against the team ownership group trying to hire Chayka? Impossible to even guess at right now. We need a lot more info on exactly what happened to come to light.

Reactions: KG and Jakey53

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Does anyone have a gauge on Sullivans' strengths? Is he a CAP guy or will that role be something he can share?

Also, I notice very rapid promotion among hockey operations people. Maybe too rapid?

Example Mark Bell
2017-18
6.png
Arizona Coyotes
NHLScoutPro Scout
2018-19
6.png
Arizona Coyotes
NHLDevelopment Coach
2019-20
6.png
Arizona Coyotes
NHLDir. of Player Development
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Most of these points are 100% correct. It's also very hard to argue that Tocchet is a better coach than either Lavi, Gallant, or Boudreau. But, think about the optics.

Our owner is trying to get a new arena. Whichever decision maker he's talking to Arizona is most likely a casual fan if that. All this person will know about our org is, "historically a s***show, team is supposedly improving but the GM quit on the eve of the playoffs, new owner but maybe they are still a s***show why should we invest in them?"

Firing Tocchet, while warranted would contribute to this sense of organizational instability. IMO far too much of a risk for the owner to take, especially when we need a new arena

Arena deals hinge on hundreds of millions of dollars worth of financing and revenue agreements, not keeping a mediocre coach one particular summer. Good lord.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I think it's insane to think firing Tocchet somehow hampers the team's ability to get a new arena.

Arena deals hinge on hundreds of millions of dollars worth of financing and revenue agreements, not keeping a mediocre coach one particular summer. Good lord.

We can disagree, though in hindsight I think I made my point pretty cleanly. The last thing a new owner wants to project is the image of organizational instability when he needs hundreds of millions of dollars of buy-in from the community.

Either way I’m concerned Rick Tocchet now has job security — an interim GM / new GM is probably not likely to fire an internally well regarded coach, at least not immediately. So I think starting next season with Rick Tocchet as our head coach is very likely and would be extremely disappointing given the level of current talent looking for work

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
1) Bettman does not have legal authority to adjudicate a contract dispute between the Coyotes and Chayka unless both of them agree to do so, or the contract requires it. Either of which seem highly improbable.

Bettman does have the authority to adjudicate disputes between the 31 teams and their owners. Which means it's far more likely the request for Bettman's involvement would be between the Coyotes and the owner/team seeking to hire Chayka.

2) Odds of damages between the Coyotes and Chayka involving his contract? Probably within a rounding error of 0%. Maybe at worst there's some sort of dispute about stuff like bonuses, deferred benefits, or incentives that's likely settled out of court.

Odds of punitive discipline by Bettman against the team ownership group trying to hire Chayka? Impossible to even guess at right now. We need a lot more info on exactly what happened to come to light.
I think it’s a 100% guarantee that Bettman strongly encourages a negotiated resolution to prevent the ugly lawsuit that is shaping up.

Reactions: Kaizen

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
He seems gung-ho on "GM or bust". Which is weird because he stepped down from an AGM spot and now he's just a pro scout. That AGM experience is getting farther and farther away, and it seems unlikely someone is going to hire a pro scout to be their next GM.

So from what I know, he was trying to take on an expanded role with the team back in 14/15. Tried pressuring GMDM into said role and Don wouldn't budge. Then the power struggle between Don and Tip happened the next year, and he got lumped in on Maloney's side after the power struggle, and left after his contract expired that year.

I think he has the right amount of experience to run an organization, but I also believe he needs the right people around him (see: Gillis as POHO.) I don't think he could do it on his own.

Same thing with the people talking about Doan in Hockey Ops. Sure I'd like him back with the team, but I don't know if his experience with the league equates to being a GM or any other team Hockey Ops role. He'd make a great Player Development Coach, Pro Scout, or even a Player Recruiter, but not a GM or AGM imo.

I'm still on Team Gillis at the moment. It's been 6 years since he was last in the chair and from everything I've heard and read it seems like he's evolved from being the standard "Hockey Man" that he was when he was with Vancouver.

Reactions: Mosby

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This has become boring. I’m glad Chayka is gone, I hope they don’t f*** up when hiring his replacement. That’s all. :dunno:
Exactly. Many on this board thought Chayka was the golden boy, best GM in the league etc. etc. Chayka is a wiz at analytics, which does play a big part in today's game, but he was lacking everything else. Chayka thinks he is smarter than anyone else and has that big ego, which is fine if you can back it up and right now he can't. This situation will probably make both parties smarter and stronger as they go forward. It is imperative that the ownership get this next hire right, there is no room for error.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If the Coyotes gave him permission to chat, then it might not be tampering. I would be stunned if the coyotes did not have a non compete clause in his contract which is enforceable even if and after Chayka quits. So Chayka can't get another NHL job without Muerello's blessing(draft picks/cash???)
NCC is very hard to enforce especially in this case. I would love us to get draft picks etc. but I don't think we will get much of anything.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We can talk in circles regarding this whole situation, and we probably could all day, in all reality both sides are at fault to some degree.

The narrative that Chayka did everything that he was supposed to do and that this is all ownership’s fault is tired, and extremely hard to believe. Especially seeing as there are multiple sources that say both parties had a play in this.

I will say chances of us receiving any significant compensation by the group that hires Chayka is slim to none. Always a possibility but like @XX said, Chayka isn’t dumb. However, there is a theme on this forum that I don’t understand, and it consists of heavily criticizing someone while they’re with the team, and victimizing them when they leave. At this rate, when Tocchet leaves people will be saying he was never given the proper players to build a contender.

Chayka made a lot of mistakes here and in the end, didn’t want to be here any longer. I’m sure he did/said whatever he could to get to where he wanted and that’s fine. Ownership didn’t take it well and should have taken more steps to prevent the divorce from happening the way it did with the prior knowledge of Chayka wanting out. I just can’t fathom anyone thinking that Chayka is 100% innocent in this.

The most likely scenario is that this was a big misunderstanding between the two parties, both should’ve handled things differently, but neither side is doomed. Chayka will be happy in his new role, and the Coyotes will move on under the most stable ownership we’ve had in years. We can be upset with Meruelo’s actions from time to time, and chances are there will be more, but if anyone is painting a villainous picture of him in your head, you’re just torturing yourself. There is so much we’ll never know, but the fact is he bought the team and is willing to spend to the cap and keep the team here long term. I’m happy with a little bit of fire, just as I was happy with Chayka’s boldness.
I agree. Chayka is getting a reputation of a person you can't trust. Some are like that their whole career and are very successful, some are not. Some where along the line Chayka will fall hard. Their is always someone smarter and meaner. Chayka's arrogance might be his downfall. Chayka's career is still in the training camp area, wait till he gets to play in the regular season and then the playoffs. Others will be gunning for him.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
3 reasons why scientists would rather experiment on lawyers than lab rats:
#1. Lab rats are harder to find than lawyers.
#2. Lab rats are cuter than lawyers.
#3. There are some things that lab rats just won't do.

Millions of anti-lawyer "jokes" and I've heard them all. And yet .... when people need help, they still hire lawyers to represent their best interest.

PS: I'd give you an exception for #2. When we bought property in the Phoenix area, we used a local lawyer I was referred to and she turned out to be the cutest person ever. Even the amazing Mrs. Moose, who's no slouch in the pulchritude department, pronounced her "adorable".

Reactions: Surfshop

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Hard to know how serious the tampering is without really knowing:
-what permission did Chayka seek - did he mislead?
-what permission did the team give Chayka - permission to interview but then denied permission to leave?
-what is the actual job entailing - is it hockey related?
-when did the conversations start - during the lockdown or earlier?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don’t begrudge Chayka for leaving. But the timing sucks. And realistically he could have waited until the end of the playoffs. Most personnel transitions take place between then and the draft.
Exactly, do it the right way.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Heaven forbid! Why would I disparage someone who has for so long been a fan of there being a team in Arizona and so publicly intimated as much? I mean, just look at his posting history :sarcasm:

My sarcasm detector is on the fritz today. Never a fan of the team, only got involved through a work assignment revolving around Baum and the bankruptcy mess. I have no especial animosity for the Coyotes and love to attend games there; no finer place in January or February than to linger at McFadden's and sip until game time. While I enjoy the schadenfreude of the hockey tire fire, I like the friendly people of Phoenix and Mrs. Moose loves to visit Luke and talk shop.

Disparage away while you still have me, my antlers can take it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
3 reasons why scientists would rather experiment on lawyers than lab rats:
#1. Lab rats are harder to find than lawyers.
#2. Lab rats are cuter than lawyers.
#3. There are some things that lab rats just won't do.
Exactly. I bet most on this board could tell a story or two about their involvement with lawyers. Chayka is a choir boy compared to them.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think it’s a 100% guarantee that Bettman strongly encourages a negotiated resolution to prevent the ugly lawsuit that is shaping up.
Cooler heads will prevail. This will get settled very soon, I hope.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
At this point, I don't care about anything other than the following:
  • No Chiarelli.
  • We need a draft plan, especially if we have no first rounder.
  • We need to make major roster moves to improve the team and dump cap hits.
  • No Chiarelli.
And if I haven't mentioned it yet...

NO FREAKING CHIARELLI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad