Confirmed with Link: John Chayka Terminates Contract with Coyotes; Steve Sullivan named interim GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If Chayka is out and Tocchet stays, that's probably the worst case scenario for the franchise. It would signal a lot of things about ownership that essentially means the next five years are another write off. Double it if some turd like Chia is brought in.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
If Chayka is out and Tocchet stays, that's probably the worst case scenario for the franchise. It would signal a lot of things about ownership that essentially means the next five years are another write off. Double it if some turd like Chia is brought in.
This could cause a serious Krak in the foundation of my fandom.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Eh, I don't think you can fire Tocc right now as the play-in is starting. new GM to oversee the draft and roster overhaul, justifiable. Installing a new coach right before the playoffs just sets yourself up to be blamed for any debacle.

If they keep him into his lame duck contract year (after firing Chayka), that's lunacy. If there's been some major Tocchet/Chayka rift (adding team toughness, GM favourites, whatever), maybe he gets some rope, but that's really hard to imagine.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Figured it deserved it’s own thread since we’re talking about it in our qualifying round thread.

For all anyone knows Friedman caught Kurt Somers' articles yesterday and today.

But then Friedman also isn't one to spread rumors without there being some substance behind it.

Something to ponder here though..... shouldn't we have heard about some decision on the alleged prospect testing by now??

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I struggle to think of a bad Chayka decision that doesn't involve catering to Tocchet, a coach that has proven he isn't worth keeping around beyond being buddy-buddy with the players.

Ownership is of a really questionable mindset if they look at the post Hall trade period and think Chayka is somehow to blame.

IF the report of meeting with Hall sans Chayka and lowballing him is true, this organization is basically on track for another lost decade.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why even bother to speculate. We only know what happens on the ice, not off, so I would wait before throwing knives at ownership.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I struggle to think of a bad Chayka decision that doesn't involve catering to Tocchet, a coach that has proven he isn't worth keeping around beyond being buddy-buddy with the players.

Ownership is of a really questionable mindset if they look at the post Hall trade period and think Chayka is somehow to blame.

IF the report of meeting with Hall sans Chayka and lowballing him is true, this organization is basically on track for another lost decade.
In negotiations you start low, most times anyway. With COVID who knows what revenue will be next year. Nothing that the new ownership has done upsets me at the moment. This is Chayka's team, and if he caters to RT like you mention, then he does not deserve to be here.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Pure speculation of course...maybe Chayka sold new ownership on the trade for Hall and then balked at more changes - including a coaching change - when the team floundered. Now the team is likely to lose Hall and is up against the cap with arguably the least talented roster in the league. Do you blame ownership for thinking change is needed?

More likely this is Covid related.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think Chayka holds blame even because he did nothing post-trade, even after the wheels fell off. He didn't fire Tocc even though fine candidates were available for hire. He didn't make a move to add to the roster even though it was struggling. He didn't trade Hall to recoup assets at the deadline even though the playoffs seemed out of reach. He made a big investment into Hall and then twiddled his thumbs and watched it evaporate. You've got to make a decision at the TDL and head somewhere. Either the goal is the playoffs, so you move to make sure that happens, or the playoffs are out of sight and you set your self up for the offseason by asset management.
You've also got the testing-gate percolating quietly in the background.

Chayka and Tocchet bringing their A games to powerpoint night and introductions with the new owner only gets them so far.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Pure speculation of course...maybe Chayka sold new ownership on the trade for Hall and then balked at more changes - including a coaching change - when the team floundered. Now the team is likely to lose Hall and is up against the cap with arguably the least talented roster in the league. Do you blame ownership for thinking change is needed?

More likely this is Covid related.

Craig Morgan says no.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
So they decided that a week before the playoffs would be the best time to cause a distraction this insane?

And also the captain is now injured. Perfect. I hope we just forfeit.
For all we know, the club expects him to be there, as reported, but Chayka is pouting because he didn't get a dinner invite.

Reactions: iDangleDangle

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Too late..... AZ Republic is already ginning up for it.

Get Access

I mean, couldn't it be as easy as Mureulo setting up a meet and greet informal dinner, and somebody just casually tossed out a feeler number. No GM. No agent. Hard to believe it was a super sneaky plot to sign Hall behind Chayka's (and the agent's) back.
Chayka gets pissed because he hears about it in the paper.

Seems to tick all the boxes on what we know.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That Elliotte Fridge tweet is getting me more and more pissed. It’s very shitty and gossipy. It’s super vague and it’s not even clear what he’s hinting at. Slimy and frustrating.
NHL GM’s Upset about stretchgate using media to create chaos. Inexperienced owner caught scrambling when he could easily stop the rumour mongering with one phone call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad