Confirmed with Link: John Chayka Terminates Contract with Coyotes; Steve Sullivan named interim GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Friedman says Chayka has receipts....

Aside from Friedman looking absolutely feral, it sounds like the issue is entirely going to revolve around the purpose of the trip. The Coyotes saying no first demonstrates they had zero interest in offering him the opportunity to job seek with another NHL owner, but relenting upon it either means they changed their mind or it really was told to them that it was an intelligence gathering mission. It's also possible that's what Chayka was told otherwise by the other NHL owner and then they surprised him with an offer once the audience was granted.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Worst part is that even after he was dumb enough to trade Tyler Seguin for Loui Eriksson, he went on to a new team and traded Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson. You just shouldn’t be able to come back from that. He just doesn’t deserve another chance.
If we're hiring multiple positions, it's possible he could come on as a president of whatever, but it would have to be away from making personnel decisions. This could be similar to Fenton with the Wild where he was atrocious when he had the autonomy to make player decisions for the club, but when he was in charge of, I think, scouting, for Nashville, he excelled.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If we're hiring multiple positions, it's possible he could come on as a president of whatever, but it would have to be away from making personnel decisions. This could be similar to Fenton with the Wild where he was atrocious when he had the autonomy to make player decisions for the club, but when he was in charge of, I think, scouting, for Nashville, he excelled.
What’s the point? It wasn’t just Seguin and Hall. I mean, Eberle for Strome and then Strome for Spooner. A 1st (Barzal) and a 2nd for Griffin Reinhart. The Milan Lucic contract. The Koskinen contract. It goes on and on. And that’s just the stuff he did after he had a chance to learn from his many mistakes in Boston.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
What’s the point? It wasn’t just Seguin and Hall. I mean, Eberle for Strome and then Strome for Spooner. A 1st (Barzal) and a 2nd for Griffin Reinhart. The Milan Lucic contract. The Koskinen contract. It goes on and on. And that’s just the stuff he did after he had a chance to learn from his many mistakes in Boston.
It's the only way I could see him being hired by the team is the point - there's no way he's acceptable in any player personnel decision-making quantity. Just positing.

Reactions: rt

rt

May 13, 2004
@Mosby - I wonder if hiring Laurence Gilman wouldn’t be a way to get Gillis involved without actually having Gillis run the show. I could see Gilman bringing Gillis into the fold in a more specialized fashion (which seems to be Gillis’ preference anyhow). Just a thought.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
@Mosby - I wonder if hiring Laurence Gilman wouldn’t be a way to get Gillis involved without actually having Gillis run the show. I could see Gilman bringing Gillis into the fold in a more specialized fashion (which seems to be Gillis’ preference anyhow). Just a thought.

Gillis seems to offend the old boys club, both as a GM and an ex agent. He's also into all the same things Chayka is, so it's weird for you to want him after being disgusted with Chayka.

Mike Gillis ready to return to NHL, but not as general manager - Sportsnet.ca

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Listening to Gambo on the radio, he thinks that it had something to do with a mega GM job like the Devils scenario was where he would be overseeing the Devils, 76ers and whatever soccer teams. Coyotes allowed it because they didn’t think the job was hockey related at all but come to find out it was and are now (clearly) pissed.
Seems like the common theme has been that it was a misunderstanding of what the position is and I’m inclined to think that Chayka wasn’t entirely straightforward with our front office brass.

rt

May 13, 2004
Gillis seems to offend the old boys club, both as a GM and an ex agent. He's also into all the same things Chayka is, so it's weird for you to want him after being disgusted with Chayka.

It’s Chayka plus 20+ years in NHL/AHL front offices in multiple locations under multiple regimes.

If anything, he’s a good bridge between the two worlds.

EDIT: oh - you’re talking about Gillis. I was talking about Gilman as GM with Gillis around in an advisory role.

Last edited:

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Does anyone here want to pretend they weren’t embarrassed when Steve Yzerman took a shot at Chayka recently? I know it stung me.

I want a GM that inspires something other than eyerolls among his contemporaries. I’d like a well-respected manager in that position if possible.
Can you go into more detail over what Yzerman said? I’m unfamiliar and interested

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Listening to Gambo on the radio, he thinks that it had something to do with a mega GM job like the Devils scenario was where he would be overseeing the Devils, 76ers and whatever soccer teams. Coyotes allowed it because they didn’t think the job was hockey related at all but come to find out it was and are now (clearly) pissed.
Seems like the common theme has been that it was a misunderstanding of what the position is and I’m inclined to think that Chayka wasn’t entirely straightforward with our front office brass.

Yeah, it depends on how everything was framed. If the idea was we want to understand how Stathletes started and run it up into other sports, then it looks innocuous enough until an NHL team comes into play and the potential to use him for that as well.

I also think the reason why Meruelo is pissed is because Chayka was one of the reasons for purchasing the team. Chayka simply sold himself and the vision. The narrative that Chayka's decision making is poor or bad seems quite far-fetched if other ownership and ours is sold on him and the ideas and process brought to the table. I think that we will see the fruits of his labor actually be pretty good in the long run.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I think you can make a case for Meruelo liking Hextall if they don't want to stick with Sullivan. Hextall similarly looked to build the Flyers for the long haul and was let go partly because of it. He was also willing to give the coach a longer leash. I think an argument can be made that choosing some one who is more similarly minded would be better for the team rather than some one who will upend everything, particularly as it seems like they did like the job Chayka was doing.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think you can make a case for Meruelo liking Hextall if they don't want to stick with Sullivan. Hextall similarly looked to build the Flyers for the long haul and was let go partly because of it. He was also willing to give the coach a longer leash. I think an argument can be made that choosing some one who is more similarly minded would be better for the team rather than some one who will upend everything, particularly as it seems like they did like the job Chayka was doing.

A Hextall regime would look a lot like if Chayka had used all of his picks and made no big moves, and no dumping of players or trade for big names. He wouldn't fire Tocchet either. Probably not for another two seasons at least.

I mean, the man got a third round pick for Zac Rinaldo. He's a talented GM. A builder, even. But he might not be the right guy to ward off the country club factor.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Not sure if Gillis has changed his tune since then but he did recently interview for the NJ job. He also expressed interest in the Seattle job but I don't know if he interviewed for it.

I'm open to the idea of hiring both a POHO and a GM but I also wonder if it's just another bureaucratic layer. Certainly more viable if we go with Sullivan or another less experienced candidate.

Off the top of my head, only a few teams have both a POHO and GM -- Boston, LA, NYR, Toronto, Vegas. Then there a few other teams with a GM and a Senior Advisor like Philly (Lombardi/Clarke) and Chicago (Scotty Bowman), to name a few.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

This is one of my few concerns with Futa.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

After looking further into Gillis' track record re: scouting I think you'd need an AGM or GM with a really strong background in scouting to cover that gap. Not sure that person is Gilman.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
One thing we're not considering here is that Chayka's timing of leaving means another year (maybe more) of Tocchet. The last thing a new owner trying to get a new arena wants to show is instability -- and firing your coach after your GM quits on the eve of the playoffs would make any outsider question how the org is run.

Unless we really do terribly this playoff (and the stars also align), we're stuck with Tocchet another year at least. I'm honestly more disappointed about that than anything else

Reactions: rt

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Tocchet is a mediocre coach at best. No one is going to bat an eye if he's fired. Especially with a new GM. If Tocchet gets them to the finals or something, he'll have earned the last year of his contract. If not, he's almost guaranteed to be replaced by the new GM. Absolutely noone around the league will care if he's replaced. Keeping him would be more "questionable".

Reactions: Jakey53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad