Confirmed with Link: John Chayka Terminates Contract with Coyotes; Steve Sullivan named interim GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Here's a name for ya - Darcy Regier. I wonder if he'd entertain coming back with the new ownership.

For where the organization is, given his strengths, I think he'd be perfect.

I loved the 2006ish era Sabres teams that Regier put together. Plenty of scoring, plenty of depth, and not too far off our current style of play. Overall a very exciting brand of hockey. I do however remember Sabres fans accusing him of being slow to act (he’d get the right deal, it was just a process). Kinda puts him in the same box as Ron Hextall. I’m also kinda hesitant to hire anyone who has been outside of the league for multiple seasons, so that would count guys like Regier, Gillis, Lombardi (not sure how big his role is in Philly).

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Or do they tell the Coyotes that their compensation is no punishment for the stretch-gate incident since the one that conducted these tests has since left the organization? Will that be enough in the Coyote’s eyes?

Only problem with this is it does not penalize NJ.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Only problem with this is it does not penalize NJ.

The odds of NJ being penalized for this are exceedingly low. The odds of Chayka suffering some sort of timeout penalty are much higher.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The odds of NJ being penalized for this are exceedingly low. The odds of Chayka suffering some sort of timeout penalty are much higher.
I bet nothing comes of it. I bet the unspoken resolution is that the Chayka debacle and stretch-gate both die quietly together. Both controversies just dropped cold.

Reactions: Jakey53

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it

If there is a clear sign of tampering, then I wouldn’t go that far. Any team that tampers with an asset under contract when the language of the contract forbids it is typically and traditionally punished to some degree, that being said, I’m not holding my breath. Still so much to figure out.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If there is a clear sign of tampering, then I wouldn’t go that far. Any team that tampers with an asset under contract when the language of the contract forbids it is typically and traditionally punished to some degree, that being said, I’m not holding my breath. Still so much to figure out.

The threshold for tampering is massive, and likely not going to be met if any sort of permission was granted even once, or if the job does not directly involve the Devils. You would have to believe Chayka and his future employers, plus all their lawyers, were incompetent morons.

Way, way more likely Chayka is simply asked to sit out for a period of time so the Coyotes save some face.

Friedman says Chayka has receipts....

If they said yes and he has witnesses/in writing, it's over.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The threshold for tampering is massive, and likely not going to be met if any sort of permission was granted even once, or if the job does not directly involve the Devils. You would have to believe Chayka and his future employers, plus all their lawyers, were incompetent morons.

Way, way more likely Chayka is simply asked to sit out for a period of time so the Coyotes save some face.

If they said yes and he has witnesses/in writing, it's over.
If the Coyotes gave him permission to chat, then it might not be tampering. I would be stunned if the coyotes did not have a non compete clause in his contract which is enforceable even if and after Chayka quits. So Chayka can't get another NHL job without Muerello's blessing(draft picks/cash???)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
When Ron Wilson was coach of the Leafs he said the team would pursue the Sedins in free agency. Vancouver didn’t like it and Toronto got fined.
Same with the Canucks talking about Stamkos.

Reactions: Mosby

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Have we found out where this mystery job is at and for who?

It will probably involve doing analytics and various management chores within an organization which owns several teams in different leagues and possibly different sports. One possibility that keeps cropping up is the company which owns the Philadelphia 76s, the New Jersey Devils, and four soccer teams based in Europe.

At this stage, quite frankly, I think everyone is guessing and when we get real hockey to argue about, this story will be relegated to the back burner.

Reactions: Jakey53 and SR

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
We can talk in circles regarding this whole situation, and we probably could all day, in all reality both sides are at fault to some degree.

The narrative that Chayka did everything that he was supposed to do and that this is all ownership’s fault is tired, and extremely hard to believe. Especially seeing as there are multiple sources that say both parties had a play in this.

I will say chances of us receiving any significant compensation by the group that hires Chayka is slim to none. Always a possibility but like @XX said, Chayka isn’t dumb. However, there is a theme on this forum that I don’t understand, and it consists of heavily criticizing someone while they’re with the team, and victimizing them when they leave. At this rate, when Tocchet leaves people will be saying he was never given the proper players to build a contender.

Chayka made a lot of mistakes here and in the end, didn’t want to be here any longer. I’m sure he did/said whatever he could to get to where he wanted and that’s fine. Ownership didn’t take it well and should have taken more steps to prevent the divorce from happening the way it did with the prior knowledge of Chayka wanting out. I just can’t fathom anyone thinking that Chayka is 100% innocent in this.

The most likely scenario is that this was a big misunderstanding between the two parties, both should’ve handled things differently, but neither side is doomed. Chayka will be happy in his new role, and the Coyotes will move on under the most stable ownership we’ve had in years. We can be upset with Meruelo’s actions from time to time, and chances are there will be more, but if anyone is painting a villainous picture of him in your head, you’re just torturing yourself. There is so much we’ll never know, but the fact is he bought the team and is willing to spend to the cap and keep the team here long term. I’m happy with a little bit of fire, just as I was happy with Chayka’s boldness.

Reactions: Surfshop and rt

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

I believe the preferred phrase is "their lawyers held differing opinions".

Reactions: rt

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I meant the 20 year old trade that is too old to be relevant.
Shanahan was signed as a restricted free agent but the Blues didn't own the required picks to compensate the Devils. The Blues offered several packages but the Deveils demanded Steven's and got him. It had nothing to do with tampering.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
We can talk in circles regarding this whole situation, and we probably could all day, in all reality both sides are at fault to some degree.

The narrative that Chayka did everything that he was supposed to do and that this is all ownership’s fault is tired, and extremely hard to believe. Especially seeing as there are multiple sources that say both parties had a play in this.

I will say chances of us receiving any significant compensation by the group that hires Chayka is slim to none. Always a possibility but like @XX said, Chayka isn’t dumb. However, there is a theme on this forum that I don’t understand, and it consists of heavily criticizing someone while they’re with the team, and victimizing them when they leave. At this rate, when Tocchet leaves people will be saying he was never given the proper players to build a contender.

Chayka made a lot of mistakes here and in the end, didn’t want to be here any longer. I’m sure he did/said whatever he could to get to where he wanted and that’s fine. Ownership didn’t take it well and should have taken more steps to prevent the divorce from happening the way it did with the prior knowledge of Chayka wanting out. I just can’t fathom anyone thinking that Chayka is 100% innocent in this.

The most likely scenario is that this was a big misunderstanding between the two parties, both should’ve handled things differently, but neither side is doomed. Chayka will be happy in his new role, and the Coyotes will move on under the most stable ownership we’ve had in years. We can be upset with Meruelo’s actions from time to time, and chances are there will be more, but if anyone is painting a villainous picture of him in your head, you’re just torturing yourself. There is so much we’ll never know, but the fact is he bought the team and is willing to spend to the cap and keep the team here long term. I’m happy with a little bit of fire, just as I was happy with Chayka’s boldness.

I don’t begrudge Chayka for leaving. But the timing sucks. And realistically he could have waited until the end of the playoffs. Most personnel transitions take place between then and the draft.

Reactions: Surfshop
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad