John Bartlett to call Leafs games [Romanuk's Replacement]

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Why do you care that people care what is said?
I am trying to understand why this is so important to some people. That's all.

The best conclusion I can come to is that many posters on these boards are simply drama queens who feel the need to post about every little annoyance. Whereas I have been assuming that if people take time to post about something, it's very important to them.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

The best conclusion I can come to is that many posters on these boards are simply drama queens who feel the need to post about every little annoyance. Whereas I have been assuming that if people take time to post about something, it's very important to them.
Are you not seeing that you are the poster boy of irony here?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

The play-by-play guy is a huge part of fan enjoyment in watching hockey games for many people.

Some people could watch a hockey game muted the whole game, many cannot.

What a play-by-play guy says will impact people's perception of the hockey game. If he says "And Marner was offside", but it was really Connor Brown.... many people won't catch those kind of details.

Furthurmore, play-by-play guys are to entertain the audience. If they are dry and dull, that doesn't maximize the hockey product. They most definitely shouldn't discuss serious things like people's fathers that get killed when they are alive and well.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Are you not seeing that you are the poster boy of irony here?

My complaints are usually directly about the fans posting on these boards, that is, I am complaining directly to the people annoying me. There is an actual possibility that things may change because of the complaint. People complaining about commentators and such are just complaining -- they are not complaining to Sportsnet or the Leafs, so nothing is likely to be done.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
My complaints are usually directly about the fans posting on these boards, that is, I am complaining directly to the people annoying me. There is an actual possibility that things may change because of the complaint. People complaining about commentators and such are just complaining -- they are not complaining to Sportsnet or the Leafs, so nothing is likely to be done.
How do you know?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
The play-by-play guy is a huge part of fan enjoyment in watching hockey games for many people.

Some people could watch a hockey game muted the whole game, many cannot.

What a play-by-play guy says will impact people's perception of the hockey game. If he says "And Marner was offside", but it was really Connor Brown.... many people won't catch those kind of details.

Furthurmore, play-by-play guys are to entertain the audience. If they are dry and dull, that doesn't maximize the hockey product. They most definitely shouldn't discuss serious things like people's fathers that get killed when they are alive and well.

Interesting viewpoint.

To me, the play by play guy is there to get my attention when things get exciting if I happen to be doing something else while the game is on. And to be honest, I care whether the Leafs were offside or not but I don't care what individual player was offside. And if an announcer is going on about the Leafs being crap when they're not, I might think "well, you're an idiot" for about two seconds. I certainly don't see any point in going online and complaining about it. If I went online and complained every time someone did or said something stupid, I'd have no time for anything else.

And I have to admit that I never saw the big deal about the Chycrun thing. Romanuk mixed up two players. Happens all the time. People wrongly think others are alive or dead all the time too. It didn't strike me as any different than Bowen going on about Filip Forsberg being Peter's son.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
How do you know?

Fair enough. If they are, good. That being said, their complaint on this board is just random grumbling not directing primarily to the people who might be able to do something about it.

Unless you are implying that a post on here might be seen by someone who could do something. In which case, I think that is about as effective as holding up a sign with the complaint somewhere alongside a road that a Sportsnet executive might take on their way to work.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Romanuk didn't bother me when Ferraro was there.
He made mistakes but he never seemed to be a homer for either team playing which is fine.
But when you added Greg Millen, then it became taxing at times.
For the new guy, it will depend who is partner in crime coming in is.
1 person you aren't crazy about can reduce your quality enjoyment of the whole show.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Interesting viewpoint.

To me, the play by play guy is there to get my attention when things get exciting if I happen to be doing something else while the game is on. And to be honest, I care whether the Leafs were offside or not but I don't care what individual player was offside. And if an announcer is going on about the Leafs being crap when they're not, I might think "well, you're an idiot" for about two seconds. I certainly don't see any point in going online and complaining about it. If I went online and complained every time someone did or said something stupid, I'd have no time for anything else.

And I have to admit that I never saw the big deal about the Chycrun thing. Romanuk mixed up two players. Happens all the time. People wrongly think others are alive or dead all the time too. It didn't strike me as any different than Bowen going on about Filip Forsberg being Peter's son.

If you were a hockey player, would you want it to be broadcasted to 1000s of people that your dad died in a car crash...? True or not?

This simply shouldn't be the job of a play-by-play guy.... When he apologized afterwards, he apologize for confusing the dead person, and didn't even apologize for talking about a topic that he shouldn't have...

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Interesting viewpoint.

In my opinion, at the end of the day you just want your broadcasting team to provide added value. The reason I love Bob Cole so much and think he's a legend isn't because his accuracy with names (especially in recent years) is outstanding, it's because his voice grows with the occasion. It amplifies the tension and the excitement. He's never relied on gimmicks ("serpentining", "waffleboarding", "netmouth", saying every players' first and last names) to get his point across, he's called the game with impartiality, and he's simply described what he saw developing. I know it's en vogue these days, especially in real-time on Twitter, to rag on him for his mistakes in recent years, but give me his voice and my own understanding of what's happening in the game and it's a perfect marriage.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
We can all only hope to aspire to that Zen place where only the world's most pressing concerns ripple our waves. Rojac is already there.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Romanuk didn't bother me when Ferraro was there.
He made mistakes but he never seemed to be a homer for either team playing which is fine.
But when you added Greg Millen, then it became taxing at times.
For the new guy, it will depend who is partner in crime coming in is.
1 person you aren't crazy about can reduce your quality enjoyment of the whole show.

Millen irritates me more. I feel the colour guy should bring smart, insightful comments about the game. There to help educate your average fan. I don't think Millen is that good.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
He is an improvement, but lets be honest, basically anyone is an improvement over what they've got going on at sportsnet (for our games especially). Aside from a few guys they've poached from CBC and TSN it's a shit show. It has improved though, with the loss of both Millard and Romanuk things are looking up, sort of.

If they keep it up Sportsnet may move from 3rd rate to, almost 2nd rate.

Reactions: keonsbitterness

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

This is a message board about the Leafs. I post here. So when there's a thread about the Leafs' commentators and I have an option on it, I may share it in said thread.

Not sure what there is to not understand. Seems you just want to insult people for some reason and can't figure out why.

Reactions: zeke

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Romanuk isn’t bad but he wasn’t a good fit as voice of the maple leafs. He probably would be good for wjc and world championships etc. I don’t think his heart was in it probably which led to the less that stellar presentation of his skills. I think the new guy is going to be a disappointment but Romanuk has his go with it and was only a capable fit; the social media outrage over his performance only helped seal the deal.
I’m glad he had the job for awhile, his gaffs like “mike bobcat” were excellent and won’t be forgotten anytime soon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad