John Bartlett to call Leafs games [Romanuk's Replacement]

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well fingers crossed he can at least pretend to be excited about the Leafs when handling games. At this point it's just a given none of these major studios can bother hiring someone who likes the team. But at least if this guy can fake it well enough it will do.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Sports net should bring Mike Johnson back then their broadcast duo for us will be complete.

But really anyone but Millen would be great.
Johnson is great. He's next in line behind Ferraro IMO.

So Bartlett, this dude is a fan of the enemy. But is he a good PBP guy?

Reactions: ashs

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Johnson is great. He's next in line behind Ferraro IMO.

So Bartlett, this dude is a fan of the enemy. But is he a good PBP guy?

I saw a poster or two say he called Marlies games in the past? May be less of an enemy and more just following the money in a competitive market. Bob Cole is a Habs fan but that didn’t keep him from being unbiased and a great play caller.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I saw a poster or two say he called Marlies games in the past? May be less of an enemy and more just following the money in a competitive market. Bob Cole is a Habs fan but that didn’t keep him from being unbiased and a great play caller.
You make a fair point, good sir.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
If you subscribe to Leafs TV then you've definitely heard Bartlett in the past. He's actually not bad and pretty good at following the play and not messing up players names the only cringe about him is when he gets really excited. But definitely an upgrade on Romanuk

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Well fingers crossed he can at least pretend to be excited about the Leafs when handling games. At this point it's just a given none of these major studios can bother hiring someone who likes the team. But at least if this guy can fake it well enough it will do.

he was the marlies game caller before he went to the habs I believe.

Its just a job to these guys

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
apparently he is a habs fan.... great....

from a canucks fan to a habs fan...

hopefully he does HNIC games over Jim Hughson

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Well yeah. But its pretty embarrassing when your play by play announcer keeps messing up the players names.

I think people focus way too hard on this.

They forget that the call is being made by naked eye from the press box, not in perfect HD on a 60" television. Of course the viewer is going to have an easier time identifying players. It's literally about perspective.

Reactions: OddyOh

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
apparently he is a habs fan.... great....

from a canucks fan to a habs fan...

hopefully he does HNIC games over Jim Hughson
Did pretty well when he was broadcasting for the Marlies. Don't think he'll be showing bias or anything.

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
I think people focus way too hard on this.

They forget that the call is being made by naked eye from the press box, not in perfect HD on a 60" television. Of course the viewer is going to have an easier time identifying players. It's literally about perspective.
But not only did Romanuk confuse two players with each other a lot more often than any other commentator I've ever heard, he also would just straight up get names wrong consistently and often. Michael Nylander, John Van Riemsdyk, James Nieuwendyk, etc and that has nothing to do with perspective. Not to mention no matter your angle, it's not hard to see which way a player shoots, and for someone who covered Leafs games for a few years that should have been ample time to learn that Kadri shoots left and Bozak shoots right, yet he almost always confused these two players. Posters here who obsess over hockey obviously aren't relying on the commentator to know who is who, but Romanuk was very confusing to someone like my dad who doesn't watch hockey obsessively enough to memorise player numbers, etc. And I'm sure that there are many casual fans in a similar boat.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
But not only did Romanuk confuse two players with each other a lot more often than any other commentator I've ever heard, he also would just straight up get names wrong consistently and often. Michael Nylander, John Van Riemsdyk, James Nieuwendyk, etc and that has nothing to do with perspective. Not to mention no matter your angle, it's not hard to see which way a player shoots, and for someone who covered Leafs games for a few years that should have been ample time to learn that Kadri shoots left and Bozak shoots right, yet he almost always confused these two players. Posters here who obsess over hockey obviously aren't relying on the commentator to know who is who, but Romanuk was very confusing to someone like my dad who doesn't watch hockey obsessively enough to memorise player numbers, etc. And I'm sure that there are many casual fans in a similar boat.

Romanuks "Romanuk-isms" were also annoying, weird, and just plain cringe worthy. "Holy Snapping Eyeballs," "Eyes like a panther," "Shooting," "Serpentines through the middle," etc. He was just bad at what he did.

Reactions: Eb and X66

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Romanuks "Romanuk-isms" were also annoying, weird, and just plain cringe worthy. "Holy Snapping Eyeballs," "Eyes like a panther," "Shooting," "Serpentines through the middle," etc. He was just bad at what he did.
Full agreement from me.
I'm happy with this change haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad