John Bartlett to call Leafs games [Romanuk's Replacement]

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Well yeah. But its pretty embarrassing when your play by play announcer keeps messing up the players names.
Who's embarrassed? PBP guy don't play for the Leafs and has no influence on how they play. To me they all sound like the teacher voice from Charlie Brown cartoons.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
But not only did Romanuk confuse two players with each other a lot more often than any other commentator I've ever heard, he also would just straight up get names wrong consistently and often. Michael Nylander, John Van Riemsdyk, James Nieuwendyk, etc and that has nothing to do with perspective. Not to mention no matter your angle, it's not hard to see which way a player shoots, and for someone who covered Leafs games for a few years that should have been ample time to learn that Kadri shoots left and Bozak shoots right, yet he almost always confused these two players. Posters here who obsess over hockey obviously aren't relying on the commentator to know who is who, but Romanuk was very confusing to someone like my dad who doesn't watch hockey obsessively enough to memorise player numbers, etc. And I'm sure that there are many casual fans in a similar boat.

Oh absolutely, I'm not excusing Romanuk at all for that. Misidentifying players from a distance and blatantly misnaming the correct ones are two different things. Take a look at the damn lineup sheet, Paul.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
But not only did Romanuk confuse two players with each other a lot more often than any other commentator I've ever heard, he also would just straight up get names wrong consistently and often. Michael Nylander, John Van Riemsdyk, James Nieuwendyk, etc and that has nothing to do with perspective. Not to mention no matter your angle, it's not hard to see which way a player shoots, and for someone who covered Leafs games for a few years that should have been ample time to learn that Kadri shoots left and Bozak shoots right, yet he almost always confused these two players. Posters here who obsess over hockey obviously aren't relying on the commentator to know who is who, but Romanuk was very confusing to someone like my dad who doesn't watch hockey obsessively enough to memorise player numbers, etc. And I'm sure that there are many casual fans in a similar boat.

Mike Bobcat was my favourite.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Thank God Romanuk is gone. He is the worst pbp guy I have ever had the displeasure of listening to for any Toronto team. Yes, worse than Rob Faulds, worse than Jamie Campbell. Really f***ing bad.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I saw a poster or two say he called Marlies games in the past? May be less of an enemy and more just following the money in a competitive market. Bob Cole is a Habs fan but that didn’t keep him from being unbiased and a great play caller.

Just because someone used to follow another team other than the Leafs, doesn't mean they can't be good at calling Leaf games.

Someone doesn't need to be Joe Bowen to be good.

John Bartlett is one of those guys.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Romanuks "Romanuk-isms" were also annoying, weird, and just plain cringe worthy. "Holy Snapping Eyeballs," "Eyes like a panther," "Shooting," "Serpentines through the middle," etc. He was just bad at what he did.
This.

I don’t know how many times I thought to my self, why the hell does this goof always make some weird animal analogy? It’s like he’s treating his viewers like little children reading us a kids zoo book. I’m so pumped he’s gone.

Reactions: Eb

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Just because someone used to follow another team other than the Leafs, doesn't mean they can't be good at calling Leaf games.

Someone doesn't need to be Joe Bowen to be good.

John Bartlett is one of those guys.
He seems pretty professional and no nonsense type of guy. He doesn't need to oversell me on broadcasting the game, just call it properly and I'll be happy.

Reactions: OddyOh

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
He's confident in his calls, pretty straight laced but at this point I just want competency. The "eyes blazing like a panther" type calls were pretty hilarious to make fun of, but I think the Leafs will be entertaining enough without the "Bullseye" and other over the top calls.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
This seems like a big upgrade to me.

Wonder who his partner will be?

Also, do we know that he's a Habs fan (not that it matters) or just assuming?

So glad no more Romanuk and now we just have to bare Hughson on Saturdays, big improvement IMO!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Wow! what a huge promotion for Bartlett! That's just amazing for him, I mean what a huuuuge career upgrade.

Good caster too!

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Such a minor league voice. Brutal.

His voice sounds like it was on The Fan 1430.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad