John Bartlett to call Leafs games [Romanuk's Replacement]

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
It’s inevitable fans will hear him so often they will start to pick up on things that annoy them. But I just listened to that marlies highlight video and while I don’t love his voice, he calls a pretty straight up game. I will take a clean unbiased call and a voice I’m indifferent on over whatever romanuck was getting up to.

Reactions: Liminality

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Pretty boring voice. Sounds like he should be doing color commentary and not the play by play.

Heard a clip of him getting excited calling a goal. Wasn't pretty.

It's the Matthews-Tavares era and they still couldn't bring in some elite play by play.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
better than Romanuk.

do we really still have to put up with Millen, though?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The few very good ones make calling games seem easy when it isn't. I think this promotion is a sign that there aren't as many options as we think there are. I've never heard him say one off-colour thing or get over-the-top emotional or flub a bunch of words or try to be funny when he isn't. And he keeps himself mostly neutral for a home play by play guy. In that sense he's very good. He could be even better if he dials down the "I'm-putting-on-a-voice-to-call-the-game" style.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Is he a Habs fan?
Grew up in Newmarket and called Marlies games from 2005-11

Yeah. On the radio yesterday afternoon he sounded like he just got his dream job and he was working hard and using the other broadcast callings as stepping stones before getting to this point.

Reactions: Liminality

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad