Confirmed with Link: Joey Daccord - signed two year ELC

Senator Blutarsky

I'll take the NHL for $2,000 Alex
Apr 18, 2007
Ottawa
Does anybody else all of a sudden think the goalie trapezoids are hurting the game, and that their removal is a top issue that needs to be addressed in the upcoming lockout?!

I liked just about all of the rule changes that came out of the 2004-05 lockout, except for that one. Love seeing goalies skate way out to the corners, and either making a great play or coughing up the puck miserably.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I liked just about all of the rule changes that came out of the 2004-05 lockout, except for that one. Love seeing goalies skate way out to the corners, and either making a great play or coughing up the puck miserably.

It was a rule aimed at disarming the trap.

Most goalies aren't good at handling the puck though. I've seen it argued by some people (might have been Jeff Marek), that they think the trapezoid lead to less offense, because now with the trapezoid goalies who are bad at handling the puck don't have to attempt to do it.

The Islanders drafted DiPietro and traded Luongo because they felt they could build around DiPietro's elite puck handling skills. Only a few years later, the game was radically changed to eliminate that advantage. (Not saying it wasn't a foolish reason to make that move when they could have kept Luongo and taken Heatley or Gaborik)

Reactions: Senator Blutarsky

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It was a rule aimed at disarming the trap.

Most goalies aren't good at handling the puck though. I've seen it argued by some people (might have been Jeff Marek), that they think the trapezoid lead to less offense, because now with the trapezoid goalies who are bad at handling the puck don't have to attempt to do it.

The Islanders drafted DiPietro and traded Luongo because they felt they could build around DiPietro's elite puck handling skills. Only a few years later, the game was radically changed to eliminate that advantage. (Not saying it wasn't a foolish reason to make that move when they could have kept Luongo and taken Heatley or Gaborik)

Eh, I know it's not really the point of your post, but Dipietro had injury issues as I recall; him not panning out had less to do with talent or the game changing, and more to do with having multiple concussion, hip and knee problems creeping up just as he was hitting his stride.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Eh, I know it's not really the point of your post, but Dipietro had injury issues as I recall; him not panning out had less to do with talent or the game changing, and more to do with having multiple concussion, hip and knee problems creeping up just as he was hitting his stride.

His hips were completely gone by 2008, that's what truly skunked him.

He had hip surgeries in back to back years in 2007 & 2008. The irony is he developed knee issues after his hips were gone because he had to change his style to compensate for his garbage hips, which led to career-ending knee issues.

The guy was a mess. It's a shame, before the hip problems he was looking to be, if not the generational talent the Islanders were hoping for, at the very least a nice starting goalie.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
You guys clearly haven't watched Mike Condon handle the puck.
I'm honestly more nervous with Anderson. Maybe because he does it more often, I don't know. But in that playoff run, I was scared s***-less every single time he left the net. It's funny, because nobody made me more comfortable than he did when he was actually in the net.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I'm honestly more nervous with Anderson. Maybe because he does it more often, I don't know. But in that playoff run, I was scared s***-less every single time he left the net. It's funny, because nobody made me more comfortable than he did when he was actually in the net.
I'm pretty sure whenever Anderson handles the puck something bad happens, he really should not leave the crease. He should almost let the opposing forward retrieve the puck.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I'm pretty sure whenever Anderson handles the puck something bad happens, he really should not leave the crease. He should almost let the opposing forward retrieve the puck.
Yup, I feel the same. I converted my wife from a leafs fan to a sens fan, she started watching a little bit of hockey during that run (I wouldn't even consider her a casual fan). Even she would yell at the tv whenever Anderson left the net.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Too bad they couldn't get the win for Daccord in his first game but I thought he played well in the first two periods. He is going to be entertaining to watch if nothing else, he already looks like the best puck handling goalie Ottawa has ever had & it's fun to watch him although not always in a good way as we seen him fall on his arse. I have no idea what he will turn into or whether he has #1 potential so Ott now has three prospect goalies who are going to be playing goal next season in Ott, Belleville or Brampton & nobody knows for sure which one will end up being the best of them. I like Hogberg the most because he takes up more of the net but Daccord's puck handling could really be useful & Gustavsson is suppose to be the one with the most potential. Good luck to them.

Lundmark17

Mar 3, 2004
I know those are highlights but watching those clips got me fired up. Also laughed because most came against Toronto which is always a plus. Is it fair to say that sometime next season he is pushing for a spot on the big club similar to Hogberg this year?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Daccord is 3 years older but how far is he to be considered as good a prospect as Cayden Primeau?
Good question for a Goalie scout / coach that have seen both play a considerable amount. I think its hard for most of us to breakdown the goal tending to get a good evaluation on them.

As a Sens Fan I like Daccord. If I was a Habs fan I'd probably go with Primeau. In the end If they both turn out great I'd be ok with that. I just love watching Daccord play and really like his battle level... He just subscribes to the "stop the fn puck" style of goal tending and isn't as cookie cutter as a lot of the prospects... Could turn out to be a good thing or a bad thing but he was great in AZ and he's been great in Belleville imo.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Good question for a Goalie scout / coach that have seen both play a considerable amount. I think its hard for most of us to breakdown the goal tending to get a good evaluation on them.

As a Sens Fan I like Daccord. If I was a Habs fan I'd probably go with Primeau. In the end If they both turn out great I'd be ok with that. I just love watching Daccord play and really like his battle level... He just subscribes to the "stop the fn puck" style of goal tending and isn't as cookie cutter as a lot of the prospects... Could turn out to be a good thing or a bad thing but he was great in AZ and he's been great in Belleville imo.

I wouldnt move him for Primeau personally. I think his development path is perfect to end up as a starter in the NHL, he is getting the right amount of reps at the right age as he moves along. His dad being an NHL goalie coach is just incredible pedigree. Love the way he moves, battles and plays the puck. Right from day 1 at dev camp coming out of high school he was very noticable. I think he is the future of this team in net. Id like to see him start this year the rest of the way, see how he does in playoffs. Then one full year in the AHL next season then he makes the jump to the big team in 2022/2023.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I wouldnt move him for Primeau personally. I think his development path is perfect to end up as a starter in the NHL, he is getting the right amount of reps at the right age as he moves along. His dad being an NHL goalie coach is just incredible pedigree. Love the way he moves, battles and plays the puck. Right from day 1 at dev camp coming out of high school he was very noticable. I think he is the future of this team in net. Id like to see him start this year the rest of the way see how he does in playoffs then one full year in the AHL next season then he makes the jump to the big team.

I agree ,,, Hogberg and Daccord could be a hell of a tandem. I think Daccord has woke Gus up as well. Gus knows he is going to have to be good every start to get playing time. I would keep Daccord over Gus if it came to it.

Good problem to have right now. One of these guys will be a Dorion add on in the future.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
No one should worry about the fact that he is an "older" prospect. Goalies always take longer to mature, and as a result you often see teams forced to make decisions on goalie prospects at age 22 or 23 when in reality they should wait another couple of years. Chris Driedger is the poster boy for that - Sens moved on from him a couple of years ago, and now at age 25 he surfaced as the backup with the Florida Panthers and is playing really well. Frankly I am nervous about the fact that we will have to make a decision on Gustavsson at some point soon, likely before we know for sure if he is a prospect.

I'd love to see Daccord get a game or two up here at the end of the year as a reward for his work this season, and to see how he's doing. This is exactly the kind of season where we can do that - hopefully a year from now we will be in a wild card chase where every game in late March and early April will matter...

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
really really pleased with joey d'accord this season. he's a very athletic goalie, his lateral movement is great which I think will translate well at the NHL level. he should have a spot as a backup by '21-'22 with his current trajectory, probably with some games sprinkled in depending on injuries next year.

I feel somewhat confident about our goalie prospects?? a weird feeling really.

Reactions: bert and topshelf15

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Dayum, this is crazy. He's not just good at making passes like most "good passing" goalies, but he has the vision to make the right pass too. Not to mention little stickhandles to get out of trouble.
I'm impress by his staking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad