Confirmed with Link: Joey Daccord - signed two year ELC

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
The real issue will be whether he gets protected in the expansion draft. Ottawa doesn’t have many good forwards or defence that will be exposed.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Assuming Ottawa opts for the 7-3-1 protection, what forward and defence do you think Seattle would take?

At least one (possibly two, or even all three in a trade situation) of Balcers/Chlapik/Abramov should be available. A guy like Tierney could be enticing as well.

Not much on defence, admitedlly, unless the team re-signs DD/MB or makes a move for a D before expansion. Whether or no the team feels the need to protect Zaitsev (I wouldn't but who knows what PD/DJS are thinking here) might factor into this as well. One (or more) of Wolanin/Jaros/Lajoie could be available.

Reactions: Sen sational

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
There is going to be a major turn over in our roster over the next two seasons. Pageau, Tierney, and Demelo could all potentially be gone. We aren't losing anybody special up front or on defense. We will lose a good young player with upside like a Chlapik, Abramov, Lajoie, etc. Those players don't project to be sure fire stars though.

Goaltending is where it gets tricky because we have Hogberg, Daccord, and Gustavsson. The way I see it is if we are in a spot where we have more than one goalie we don't want to lose, that's a good position to be in. The likelihood is not very high of us having two goalies valuable enough to jump through hoops to hedge against the expansion draft. As in, as of today, what would each of those goalies get us in a trade?

It could end up being a Redden/Chara type situation where we choose the wrong guy in the same position. Maybe the better description would be a Bishop/Anderson/Lehner type situation. Although, it's highly unlikely that any of our three goalies will be as polished as Bishop and Anderson were - and none of the three have the same sky high upside that Lehner had at such a young age.

The way I see it, if we lose one, but still come out with a future starter who can bring the same level of stability Anderson brought to the Sens, then I'm still happy.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
At least one (possibly two, or even all three in a trade situation) of Balcers/Chlapik/Abramov should be available. A guy like Tierney could be enticing as well.

Not much on defence, admitedlly, unless the team re-signs DD/MB or makes a move for a D before expansion. Whether or no the team feels the need to protect Zaitsev (I wouldn't but who knows what PD/DJS are thinking here) might factor into this as well. One (or more) of Wolanin/Jaros/Lajoie could be available.
I've been assuming that Seattle would TRY to target top 6 talent at forward and top 4 on D. My list of 7 to protect: White; Pageau (assuming he isn't traded); C. Brown; L. Brown; Duclair; Tkachuk; Batherson. I suppose Balcers is the only one that I think could be a top 6 player. I think the ceiling for Chlapik is a 3C but wouldn't be surprised if he played 4C. Abramov has the potential to be a top 6 but his size (and style of play, going to the dirty areas) would give me concerns for his longevity. Davidsson has some potential but I would be concerned with the concussions he has already suffered.

On D, I would protect: Chabot; Wolanin; and Demelo. Lajoie and Jaros have not shown more than 3rd pair, at best, ability. Ottawa might want to protect Zaitsev, but I would expose him.

My concern in nets at this point is that, as danielpalfreddson noted, it is probably too early to decide which one of Gus, Daccord, and Hogberg will be our best chance at a #1 goalie.

Dorion has also stated he was going to be trading prospects to move up at the trade deadline, he might look at getting rid of those prospects they could lose in the draft.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Assuming Ottawa opts for the 7-3-1 protection, what forward and defence do you think Seattle would take?

Protected list:

Brady
White
Connor
Logan
Batherson
Duclair
Chlapik/Balcers/Abramov/Paul

Chabot
Wolanin
Jaros/Zaitsev/Lajoie

Basically whoever one of whoever Ottawa doesn't protect from the bottom options, which could be all of them if Pageau or Demelo are re-signed.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
Protected list:

Brady
White
Connor
Logan
Batherson
Duclair
Chlapik/Balcers/Abramov/Paul

Chabot
Wolanin
Jaros/Zaitsev/Lajoie

Basically whoever one of whoever Ottawa doesn't protect from the bottom options, which could be all of them if Pageau or Demelo are re-signed.

I think they have to protect Zaitsev and Bobby Ryan but I’m not sure how that will work.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
We don't have any players that we'll be forced to protect in the expansion draft.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Trading prospects to hedge against the expansion draft makes no sense because teams can only lose one player.

If there is ONE PROSPECT who is significantly more valuable than the next exposed player, then it does make sense so long as it doesn't create organizational depth issues at the position.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Zaitsev might be tempting for Seattle if he is exposed. One big knock on Zaitsev was the length of his contract. When combining the term with his up and down play, it made him too big of a risk for most teams.

I could see the Senators protecting Zaitsev if Jaros does not take a step forward. That's not me saying they should protect him, but thinking logically if they liked Zaitsev enough to take on his ridiculous term, and if DJ Smith continues to play him as a #2-#3 type defender, that probably means the team has a positive evaluation of him. Chabot/Zaitsev, and then the best of Wolanin/Jaros/Lajoie would be protected.

Of course, two of those three could force the Senators hand. If Jaros is playing 21 minutes a night and excelling, of course they will protect him because he is cheaper than Zaitsev.

The goaltending situation is going to be interesting because it's so unclear right now and there might be a legitimate debate between protecting the goalie with the greatest ceiling vs the one who can play now.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Almost every team is worried they will lose a goalie we aren't any different than the other 31.

Many other teams have better ones they will lose

Pens - Murray or Jarry
Canucks - Markstrom or Demko
Arizona - Keumper or Raanta
Blues - J Allen
Columbus- Merzilikins or Korpisalo
Colorado- Grubauer or Francouz

Plus on top there is a bunch of teams with two older but half decent goalies that will be available. Halak, Lundquist, Greiss, Quick, Campbell, Talbot, Dell, Jones , Subban,

Is Cayden Primeau in Montreal eligible? Better prospect than any of our guys too. And that's only one off the top of my head.

We have nothing to worry about when it comes to the expansion draft.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Not questioning you. Just would love to hear where PD said this
It was one of the interviews that he did, I believe it was on TSN, where he was discussing the number of draft picks they have this year. He mentioned that they would be looking to move up in the draft and referred to prospects as being a way to move up.

Reactions: DJB

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If we lose a player like Zaitsev as our Expansion Draft casualty, that has to be considered almost best case scenario, no?

Yes. But obviously seems like wishful thinking at this point with cheaper (and arguably) better options available.

Reactions: Gesus

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
From NHL.com.

“All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:
* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.
* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.
* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.“

Dorion should easily be able to stick handle the expansion draft to his advantage.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
upload_2021-5-4_12-8-37.png

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
My thoughts with Joey are that since he’s been injured and hasn’t been able to showcase more, there may be less chance that he’d be on the Seattle radar. Gus has been playing more recently and has been excellent so I’d be more worried that Seattle could be paying attention.

To me at the moment I think we should expose Murray with a nice conversation explaining that we need to protect his back up if we want to maximize our talent in net, and then protect the Bus.

Reactions: pzeeman

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
My thoughts with Joey are that since he’s been injured and hasn’t been able to showcase more, there may be less chance that he’d be on the Seattle radar. Gus has been playing more recently and has been excellent so I’d be more worried that Seattle could be paying attention.

To me at the moment I think we should expose Murray with a nice conversation explaining that we need to protect his back up if we want to maximize our talent in net, and then protect the Bus.
Agreed. As much as I love Daccord, my guess is there are plenty of goalie prospects around his calibre that will be exposed. I doubt he is on Seattle’s radar after getting injured. Gus has the draft pedigree and the recent performance to possibly get taken.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Hearing that the goalie coach is buddies with Brian Daccord does not bode well for Gus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad