Joel Quenneville...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
He's gotten this current roster farther than we could have hoped. If he steals a cup with Cumiskey and Timonen on D, he should immediately go to the HOF.

:shakehead

This roster is far better than what you apparently think it is. Get a real coach to get rid of he Mickey Mouse scheming of both STs units, get TT on PP1 and Keith off it, and employ a heavy perimeter pressure defensive style instead of this box and pray ********, and we would be miles better than we are.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
And I can't wait to bump this when he goes into the HOF.

Him going to the HOF really has nothing to do with how good of a coach he really is. Is he the worst? Obviously not, but I think most mediocre and up coaches would have had similar results with the rosters he has inherited.

When it's all said and done I think Q will have had the longest run without a complete ********* roster than any coach in NHL history. It truly is unbelievable the talent he's had to work with.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Overrating the Hawks talent bigtime

09 = Q took strong Hawks team to WCF ,, Lost to superior Wings
10 = Q and Hawks win cup
11 = Weak Hawks team struggles to make playoffs and is eliminated in round 1
12 = A better but still not great Hawk team loses in 1st round as Crawford falters
13 = Q and Hawks win cup
14 = This one stings as Hawks should have won vs Kings
15 = Currently tied 2-2 with #1 seed Ducks in WCF

And in St Louis Q had misfortune of having good Blue teams (With questionable goaltending) run into great Wing/Star/Avs teams

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Since everyone on here just hates Quenneville right now, thought I would chime in with some of my thoughts.

Is Coach Q the best coach in the NHL? No, probably not.
Is he one of the worst coaches in the NHL? Definitely not.
Is he better than average? Definitely.

Yes, Q has had the luxury of having some talented teams over the years, especially in Chicago, but not every coach, not even every top coach can have success with talented teams (see Hitchcock), or even sustain success with talented teams (see Babcock). His roster management can be questioned at times, and he does do some abnormal things that make you wonder what the hell he is thinking. But to me, that’s more him over thinking the process than anything. That is certainly one of his faults, but it hardly makes him a terrible coach that has been carried by this team to 2 Cups and 5 WCF in the last 7 years.

So he has trouble with roster management, and him and his assistants can’t seem to get a good grasp of a PP system that can be successful year in and year out. But two things are certain, his player management, his 5 on 5 system and team structure is top notch and is perfect for the make-up of this team. You can say, any coach would have 3 Cups by now with this core. That’s completely ignoring the fact that not every coach has the same game plans, system, mid game adjustments, and player management that Q has. I’m not going to get into specifics about every little thing that he does, nor the big things that he does, because we all simply have no idea what is said behind closed doors. We can only go based off of what the players say. And that’s what they say.

The Hawks ridiculous records after Game 4 should be an indication of how good of a coach Q is. Do people honestly think that it’s just the talent of the players that makes those records so impressive? Probably. Well, to me, it is the talent of the players combined with coaching and the player management (which is part of coaching). That record to me indicates that Q makes adjustments that help the talent of our players take advantage of tendencies the opposition tends to have, along with the players making the adjustments on their own. It also shows that our players are able to keep their work ethic up through a long series because they are more rested than the ops. That goes back to days off during the season when everyone is hollering for a bag skate, and keeping our top guys fresh throughout the season by keeping their minutes down compared to other top players around the league.

Q can baffle a lot of people during important times, but at the end of the day, wins are all that matter. And Q has been the most successful coach in this century, so he has to be doing something right. And no, it’s not just inheriting stacked teams and being carried to success like many of you long time arm chair coaches suggest. There is far more to the game than roster management, and most of it comes behind the scenes that nobody here sees. So we have to take the players and ex-players word for how good of a coach he is. And I’ll take their word, over any of your words.

That’s all I will say on the subject, you can argue all you want, but those are facts so you’re wasting your time if you do.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Since everyone on here just hates Quenneville right now, thought I would chime in with some of my thoughts.

Is Coach Q the best coach in the NHL? No, probably not.
Is he one of the worst coaches in the NHL? Definitely not.
Is he better than average? Definitely.

Four paragraphs to support the bolded.

Will you be making the introduction speech at HOF?

Is that the deciding factor for players? He was definitely better than average but his teams won. That's a pretty crowded hall.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The bar is lowering however, even for Q's die-hard supporters.

Playing Bladder to begin the series, and then bringing in Versteeg and Nordstrom for game 3 were all major head scratchers that were doomed for failure.

Arguably, those moves alone cost Hawks the 2 games we have lost in the CF.

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
I wouldn't say I'm a big fan of Q but I just wanted to say that all this, "Anyone could have taken those teams to the championships" sounds a lot like the standard HF "So and so is only good because of so and so" that we all hate.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
It's amazing how much some weigh what a coach and gm do for a single individual series.

There's too much randomness. If a contending team, or a team that is supposed to contend easily makes the playoffs and gets to the CF, all the important stuff is working pretty damn well in the front office and behind the bench.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
It's amazing how much some weigh what a coach and gm do for a single individual series.

There's too much randomness. If a contending team, or a team that is supposed to contend easily makes the playoffs and gets to the CF, all the important stuff is working pretty damn well in the front office and behind the bench.

This is exactly how one measures the impact of a coach's abilities.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Four paragraphs to support the bolded.

Will you be making the introduction speech at HOF?

Is that the deciding factor for players? He was definitely better than average but his teams won. That's a pretty crowded hall.

I could have just stated his wins, Cups, and WCF appearances to support the bolded. But that wasn't the intention of the four paragraphs. The four paragraphs were to refute the notion that any coach could coach this team to 2 Cups and any other coach would have 3 cups that you have been spit balling.

He's a top coach in the game, not the best, but certainly better than at least 15 other coaches currently coaching. I would say he is top 5, but that wasn't the point of my post.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I could have just stated his wins, Cups, and WCF appearances to support the bolded. But that wasn't the intention of the four paragraphs. The four paragraphs were to refute the notion that any coach could coach this team to 2 Cups and any other coach would have 3 cups that you have been spit balling.

He's a top coach in the game, not the best, but certainly better than at least 15 other coaches currently coaching. I would say he is top 5, but that wasn't the point of my post.

That rings familiar. Oh yeah, it's the same comment we get about Crawford.... in other words Q is pretty much average, and that's just about right, though some would argue even that is a stretch.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
That rings familiar. Oh yeah, it's the same comment we get about Crawford.... in other words Q is pretty much average, and that's just about right, though some would argue even that is a stretch.

Except, everyone within the NHL completely disagrees with you on both counts.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Except, everyone within the NHL completely disagrees with you on both counts.

Holy umbrella statement.

I think most hockey people who have seen every Blackhawk game since 2010 will concur that Q is nothing special....

.... while most of the others are basing their assessment on stats, highlights and a sprinkling of games they actually have attended or watched (and of course there's the homers).

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Holy umbrella statement.

I think most hockey people who have seen every Blackhawk game since 2010 will concur that Q is nothing special....

.... while most of the others are basing their assessment on stats, highlights and a sprinkling of games they actually have attended or watched (and of course there's the homers).

Keep tooting that horn. Most NHL people always say Q is a great head coach, one of the better ones to stand behind a bench, and lots say Crow is one of the better goalies in todays game.

I'm done.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Holy umbrella statement.

And the same applies to every other NHL coach that has been able to last in these 5 years. If you sit and watch every element to a coach each game you'll sit and realize it. Just like occasional watcher of Babcock would call him something special, but plenty of Wings fans for the last few years have called those frequent things out against him to not deem him so.

That's the way mental recollection and gathering your information will work. You'll latch onto the things you see wrong because they're easier to pin-point and recall.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Keep tooting that horn. Most NHL people always say Q is a great head coach, one of the better ones to stand behind a bench, and lots say Crow is one of the better goalies in todays game.

I'm done.

Who cares what "most people" think or what this and that analyst says, watch the games and come up with your own conclusions, I have watched every Hawks game since 2008, maybe missed a hand full in that span of that and I completely agree with Bobbyjet on Q aka fresh legs.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Who cares what "most people" think or what this and that analyst says, watch the games and come up with your own conclusions, I have watched every Hawks game since 2008, maybe missed a hand full in that span of that and I completely agree with Bobbyjet on Q aka fresh legs.

:laugh: yeah, who cares what people in the NHL say, I mean, what do they know. I'm sure those on HF are smarter and can see what goes on behind closed doors.

And again, I am not dismissing his mistake on Game 3, I just look at the bigger body of work and the body of work shows me he is a great coach that makes bone headed decisions from time to time.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
And the same applies to every other NHL coach that has been able to last in these 5 years. If you sit and watch every element to a coach each game you'll sit and realize it. Just like occasional watcher of Babcock would call him something special, but plenty of Wings fans for the last few years have called those frequent things out against him to not deem him so.

That's the way mental recollection and gathering your information will work. You'll latch onto the things you see wrong because they're easier to pin-point and recall.
I've said it a million times, no coach goes without faults. Doesn't make them a bad coach and we can sit here and say this and that should be this way and that way, when in reality we are sitting at home watching the game without any inside knowledge of every situation.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Can't deny you have a point there.... same goes for players. Seeing them play game in and game out, allows one to form an educated opinion that may or may not agree with the main stream view.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
:laugh: yeah, who cares what people in the NHL say, I mean, what do they know. I'm sure those on HF are smarter and can see what goes on behind closed doors.

And again, I am not dismissing his mistake on Game 3, I just look at the bigger body of work and the body of work shows me he is a great coach that makes bone headed decisions from time to time.

That's like praising someone who his dad handed him ten million dollars and all he had to do was grow it a little bit and just cruise, when you fall on a pot of gold it's not that hard to control it and work with it a little bit. Q was handed this amazing team that has unmatched tallent in this league for the past so many years. He was the reason they lost the cup last year with his bone headed roster and he seems to be going for a repeat this year. LA was not a better team than the Hawks last year.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
That's like praising someone who his dad handed him ten million dollars and all he had to do was grow it a little bit and just cruise, when you fall on a pot of gold it's not that hard to control it and work with it a little bit. Q was handed this amazing team that has unmatched tallent in this league for the past so many years. He was the reason they lost the cup last year with his bone headed roster and he seems to be going for a repeat this year. LA was not a better team than the Hawks last year.

Yup, Q has done nothing. Just sat on his hands and watched this team roll to 2 Cups and 5 WCF. Terrible coach.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
I've said before that I think he has put a great system in place and has the support of his players. His roster management has always been his sore point (and a really sore one at that) and in my opinion has cost the team games in the past.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
This is exactly how one measures the impact of a coach's abilities.

Which "one"?

In such a small sample size, too much can be determined/altered because of bounces and individual player effort. As frustrating as it was to see that game 3 lineup, the team was still in a position to win. He's been overwhelmed in all of one of his 19 playoff series as a coach of the blackhawks and he's had more favorable results than unfavorable against the opposite coach.

If gms or decision makers used individual series to determine which coach is best, McLellan was a FA 3 years ago, Babcock was out after 11', and Julien would have had 4 interviews already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad