Joel Quenneville...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Just...baffling. So much wrong with his decisions so far in these playoffs, and we're only two games in.

Mark Lazerus @MarkLazerus
Q also praised Rozsival's play recognition, puck movement, zone exits & ability to hold the blue line. "Sometimes maybe too much patience."

:help:

The lineup decisions and the lines he puts together with the guys he is dressing, are mind boggling.

No reason whatsoever for Vermette to be sitting.

No reason whatsoever for Nordstrom to ever see the ice in the playoffs.

Rozsival....wow.

Bickell....wow....

Sharp not playing on the top lines....inexcusable. He played less than Kruger and Nordstrom in game 1!!!!

The PP units are absolute clownshoes. Hawks don't have clue #1 about how to setup an effective PP unit. Here's a hint. Four left-handed shots, with the only right-handed shot standing in front of the net, really doesn't work.... There are two shooting options and everyone on the ice knows it. The 2nd PP unit is 2 right-handed shots on the point.... BASIC PP STRATEGY. GUYS ON THEIR OFF-HAND TAKING ONE-TIMERS.

I'm just at a loss as to how a coach with this much experience, can lack this much common sense.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
As bad as all the above list of the Q failed decisions,you have to call him out on the lack of motivating his players to "work" both individually and as a team for the majority of time in a game instead of maybe a third of the time/shifts..SLACKER acceptance ...bad habits..told they can just flip the switch..but we see the switch in "off" position 2/3 rd of the time...Just Not Acceptable. This "Country Club" acceptance culture seems to start January 1st (2 years in a row) as they tease us with very good results up till the calendar turns...then they ease off and repair to the Country Club leaving messes of meh Ness and stinkiness inter-spered with a few flashes of competence...but only a few...the rest of the way..Then in playoffs the switch does not get flipped ...maybe a few players try to but too many leave us disappointed with their effort and disappearing "talent".

THIS MESS has happened under the Q watch..I cannot stand a 1/3 effort only...Q has to go...We need a better motivator....not an acquiesce in fat-catism and accepting mediocrity and "waiting for the switch to be flipped"..And if the players are not good enough....the coach must be honest and tell the GM that changes must be made.But before he does that ...IF they slack...you gotta bag-skate them till they drop..The time for that is not playoffs but in the regular season to get them to eliminate slacker habits and coasting...if they do not respond you get your GM to trade the worst slackers..

To point out bad habits...Toews has a good first game..then slacks in this 2nd game..Zero shots on goal! ZERO! As if 'Look...I was a star in game #1..I can now slack off in game #2...let somebody else do it tonight"..Bad habit...bad attitude..If it was regular season..even the great Toews deserves a bag-skate for a Zero shot game from your allegedly "best" player...This is playoffs...best must be your best..but he Slacks this game...Disgusting! Fat-cat syndrome. .If starred last game...that is enough work for now...Maybe game 3 I will summon up my "A" game again? Maybe. This is "professional pride"? This is leadership? WHEN your captain,leader,and one of your 2 best slacks off ....ZERO shots...it sends a bad message to the rest of the slackers on the team...All these bad habits coyld/should have been addressed in the regular season and Q should have made an example of any manifestation of slacking by Anyone...no matter how big their star on the team. But instead it is OK if you bring it one game and then slack off the next...with no criticism because you are such a star you are beyond d criticizing..Bad acceptance culture...bad atmosphere for team cohesion..bad idea to expect the grunts to do better when your fearless leader cannot even muster the energy to get off even 1 shot... We lost for other reasons...defense and goaltending were disgraceful...but still Zero Shots is a symbol of not caring enough /no urgency...and bad habits in one area lead to slacking in other areas...Everything is connected...And if a coach cannot motivate his best player then how can he motivate lesser players to bring their best games? So we need a new coach who can motivate both stars and grunts...who will not tolerate slacking and mediocrity or stinkiness...Q must go.

TQE

Mar 4, 2014
I didn't read all that above; but I don't know how you put failure to motivate veteran, multi-millionaires who have already won their cup (or two) on the list of things to fault Q for. I'm not saying there aren't things to fault Q for, but I think his ego/psychological handling of the personnel during his time here has been one of his strengths. He has been a good fit, in that regard, for this core of guys.

However, I think no matter how the rest of this post season plays out, this off season would be an opportune time for Q and the Hawks to part company. It seems pretty obvious to me that there is some...disconnect, at the very least, between Q and Bowman. Add that fact to the rebuild on the fly we'll be undergoing, it seems time for a fresh voice behind the bench.

I think Q might be a good fit in SJ, if they want to try and make one last shot with their core. Maybe we end up with McLellan ala the NYR/Van. "trade." Unless, of course, there is a chance we can make a play for Babcock.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
I am sure if Babcock would come to Chicago, it wouldn't take long before people would be crying about him not playing the young guys enough or making odd line-up decisions. Wings fans seem to like to cry about it too. I guess no coach is good enough for the astute hockey minds among the fans.

TQE

Mar 4, 2014
I am sure if Babcock would come to Chicago, it wouldn't take long before people would be crying about him not playing the young guys enough or making odd line-up decisions. Wings fans seem to like to cry about it too. I guess no coach is good enough for the astute hockey minds among the fans.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. Monday morning quarterbacking is one of the perks of being a sports fan. I suppose it's unlikely Babcock ends up here; but I wasn't expecting the Bowmans to end up here either.

Over all, I like Q; but agree that a lot of his on-ice personnel decisions are dubious, with some bordering on the inexplicable.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I have always thought this would be Q's last year in chicago. lets face it the coach next year has to learn to live with the mistakes youngsters will make and not really on geriatric hockey players to make continual mistakes and get rewarded for it citing "veteran presence"....

trade bickell, sharp, crawford, Versteeg
let oduya, kruger, richards, roszival walk
sign SAAD

build your lineup like this TA = trade acquisition, KID = rockford

TA-Toews-Kane
Saad-TT-Hossa
KID-Danault-Shaw
Desjardins-TA-KID

keith - Seabrook
KID-Hammer
TA/KID--KID

Darling/Raanta

Hire a coach that foster the dev't of youngsters and have a 2-4 year turn around to be a contender again

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Q is pathetic with his lineup and has been for years as we all have witnessed

FOUR line up changes need to be executed by next game or this series is in jeopardy

Take out both Roszival and Slowminen

Bring is Runblad and Cuminsky (atleast we get younger and faster)

Take out Nordstrom put in Vermette

Take out Crawford for good, send him to play for Rockford till the end of the playoffs, I am sick of this guy and his mental fragility. Put in the man Darling!!!

Result: Hawks win the series

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Q is pathetic with his lineup and has been for years as we all have witnessed

FOUR line up changes need to be executed by next game or this series is in jeopardy

Take out both Roszival and Slowminen

Bring is Runblad and Cuminsky (atleast we get younger and faster)

Take out Nordstrom put in Vermette

Take out Crawford for good, send him to play for Rockford till the end of the playoffs, I am sick of this guy and his mental fragility. Put in the man Darling!!!

Result: Hawks win the series

here is what I want if they are not willing to play some more kids....if they are swap Versteeg and Nordstrom for hartman and danault

sharp-toews-kane
saad-TT-hossa
bickell-vermette-shaw
nordstrom-kruger-versteeg

keith-rundblad
oduya-hammer
cumisky-seabrook

darling

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
I just find it odd that we struggled last year, and then Q put the roster almost exactly how 90% of this board wanted it to be as it was the obvious best roster and it worked. Can't remember when he did it in the playoffs, but it saved one of our series at least. I'm not saying the board is smarter than Q, but some decisions are just so obvious that even most people here can see them. Not all of them are that cut and dry, but there's always that one or two that are obvious to anyone who is unbiased, and Q clearly has a bias for SOME players.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Im supporter of Q as I've said several times, but can't really support him too much right now.

What does that even mean? As if they people that criticize him are not his supporters and wishing him and the team to make the right decisions to win? He is a good coach other than his line up selection. It just pisses me off, last year it was Handzeus and Bollig, this year it is Rozy, Slowminen, and Crawford, and not to mention the benching of Vermette. Boneheaded moves like these cost the Hawks the cup last year and could end up costing the cup this year.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
What does that even mean? As if they people that criticize him are not his supporters and wishing him and the team to make the right decisions to win? He is a good coach other than his line up selection. It just pisses me off, last year it was Handzeus and Bollig, this year it is Rozy, Slowminen, and Crawford, and not to mention the benching of Vermette. Boneheaded moves like these cost the Hawks the cup last year and could end up costing the cup this year.

By definition, a supporter is "a person who approves of and encourages someone or something (typically a public figure, a movement or party, or a policy)." I normally trust his decisions because he is the man in charge and the dude with the rings, but right now I just can't come around to back up what he's putting on the ice. That's what I mean.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I just find it odd that we struggled last year, and then Q put the roster almost exactly how 90% of this board wanted it to be as it was the obvious best roster and it worked. Can't remember when he did it in the playoffs, but it saved one of our series at least. I'm not saying the board is smarter than Q, but some decisions are just so obvious that even most people here can see them. Not all of them are that cut and dry, but there's always that one or two that are obvious to anyone who is unbiased, and Q clearly has a bias for SOME players.

That was when Bollig got suspended, it was not his decision, we were just lucky the league jumped in suspended him for two games and the hawks got back int he Minnesota series, otherwise thats as far as the Hawks would have gone. Thats when Regin got in and actually made a big difference especially to the speed department. Q just loves slow players, thats what I have come to find out. Its sad Stan keeps giving him these useless players. Oh but the Hawks were not as lucky with LA...

vegasvic

Jan 10, 2010
I really wonder if SB and Q actually discuss personnel. How they have used Vermette is beyond madness. It also seems like that the *idea* of bringing in Kimmo so he could win a cup was the primary motivation. We don't really know what Q wanted in free agency, but it appears a 2C wasn't it.

JoehWild

Apr 11, 2015
I love Q but his lineups and decisions the past 2 games have been baffling and tremendously horrible.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
I find it odd that people "like Q", but are baffled by his roster decisions this year. He's done the same every year. It shouldn't be surprising.

Hawks4life

Apr 3, 2011
Q looks bad because his goal tending has been bad. Minnesota Wild and Mike Yeo looked dead in the water until they got a goalie. Q makes good enough decisions and really outcoaches the opposition more often then not. I have faith he will figure this out.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I think Q is a great motivator but there's a clear and growing disconnect between Q and Stan in regards to the team being built and the team Q wants to coach. It needs to be fixed on either end.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Q looks bad because his goal tending has been bad. Minnesota Wild and Mike Yeo looked dead in the water until they got a goalie. Q makes good enough decisions and really outcoaches the opposition more often then not. I have faith he will figure this out.

The solution looks and seems simple. It's taken me awhile, but I no longer think Q is an amazing coach. Still good overall I suppose, but not quite as highly as I thought of him a few years ago. I feel like when he "figures it out" it's going to be what was obvious all along, Rozy out, Vermette in, Darling in. Then he'll get credit from everyone around and here in the media for figuring it out. Similar to what happened last year. He's gotta dig himself a hole with his arrogance and stubbornness though so that when he "figures it out" he gets more credit.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
The solution looks and seems simple. It's taken me awhile, but I no longer think Q is an amazing coach. Still good overall I suppose, but not quite as highly as I thought of him a few years ago. I feel like when he "figures it out" it's going to be what was obvious all along, Rozy out, Vermette in, Darling in. Then he'll get credit from everyone around and here in the media for figuring it out. Similar to what happened last year. He's gotta dig himself a hole with his arrogance and stubbornness though so that when he "figures it out" he gets more credit.

Vermette is playing defense?

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
No, those are just the 2 changes that need to be made. Rozy out, Cumiskey in. Vermette in for Steeger or Richards or Nordy.

I want Slowminnen out too, I dont think the team should carry him for the sake of him wanting to win the cup. I just dont think its fair for Runblad or the fans or the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad