Player Discussion Joel Eriksson Ek: The 2nd Act

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yes, top 6 potential, but will probably top out as a defensively elite #2C, 45-50 pts. Very strong, physical, and while not dirty, seems to have the ability to annoy other teams. He wins the prize for getting the most after the whistle shots by opponents, but no one can figure out why.

Reactions: Al Lagoon

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
How is he doing? Do you guys think he has top-6 potential?

Does he play with a physical edge?
He's doing well this year. He's always played a pretty physical game, but his balance seems better this year and there's less falling down after contact. He seems less clumsy in general. Still whiffs on shots semi-regularly though :laugh:

I've had him maxing out as a 3C in my head, but I think @AKL pointed out the other day that his 5v5 production has gotten to be pretty respectable this year. He's on pace for ~35 points with no powerplay time so... yeah, I may have to reconsider what his upside really is. His passing's been pretty good this year and if he can get his shot on net more there could be more offense there.

He's been a very effective defensive forward, though. Has a preternatural ability to bug the **** out of people, too.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Definitely top 6 potential. 50-60 points possible with good linemates and PP time.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
How is he doing? Do you guys think he has top-6 potential?

Does he play with a physical edge?
I think he is continuing to put it all together. He is very good defensively and has some decent offensive instincts but lacks finish. I see him having a career high of around 45 points for a few seasons but being extremely valuable to a team for what he brings on the defensive perspective and his ability to agitate.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I could see him being a Koivu from the 13-14 to 17-18 seasons type of player. Not a guy you want as a do-it-all 1C, but a shutdown 2C that chips in about 10g/25a 5v5 every year.

Reactions: dBoon

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
82 game paces:

20/21 years old
7 goals, 18 points
12:47 TOI/game

21/22 years old
10 goals, 20 points
13:30 TOI/game

22/23 years old
12 goals, 40 points
15:30 TOI/game

A pretty big jump playing with guys like Foligno, Greenway and Kunin. Is he a 55+ point center playing with Fiala, Kaprizov or both? More?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think he will be most effective as a middle six C shutting down other teams big guns, but who knows? He is still young. I am thrilled with him, and I suspect that Sturm will be somewhat similar, though not as strong.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
At the very least, I think we could get away with it for a quick while in a post-Staal world, until we're sure that Khovanov, Boldy or the 2020 1st rounder is ready for it.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
82 game paces:

21 years old
7 goals, 18 points
12:47 TOI/game

22 years old
10 goals, 20 points
13:30 TOI/game

23 years old
12 goals, 40 points
15:30 TOI/game

A pretty big jump playing with guys like Foligno, Greenway and Kunin. Is he a 55+ point center playing with Fiala, Kaprizov or both?

With Fiala, Kaprizov and PP time, I don't think 50+ is out of the question.

Koivu's 2006-07 season was a benchmark I used coming into the season where Koivu was getting over 3 minutes of PP time on ice per game playing in the top 6. 17.5 total minutes TOI. He scored 54 that season. Ek is getting 15.5 total, no PP time.

I really think, even if Ek is excelling in his current role, that Boudreau isn't doing him or the team any favors by not giving him better minutes.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't know if Boudreau will be back next season, but whoever's coaching, it would be a great disservice to not, at the very least try:

Fiala-Ek-Kaprizov
Parise-Staal-Kunin
Greenway-Sturm-Zuccarello
Foligno-Rask-Hartman

Move the bottom 9 wingers around as you see fit. But that's what I'd go with.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
With Fiala, Kaprizov and PP time, I don't think 50+ is out of the question.

Koivu's 2006-07 season was a benchmark I used coming into the season where Koivu was getting over 3 minutes of PP time on ice per game playing in the top 6. 17.5 total minutes TOI. He scored 54 that season. Ek is getting 15.5 total, no PP time.

I really think, even if Ek is excelling in his current role, that Boudreau isn't doing him or the team any favors by not giving him better minutes.

Yeah, Ek is definitely on his way to surpassing at least his even strength numbers from that year.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If you're looking for a fun stat to tell your friends about:

P/60
Fiala- 2.31
Foligno- 2.18
Staal- 2.02
Ek- 2.02
Zuccarello- 1.94

Considering PP time, linemates and usage, well, I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if Boudreau will be back next season, but whoever's coaching, it would be a great disservice to not, at the very least try:

Fiala-Ek-Kaprizov
Parise-Staal-Kunin
Greenway-Sturm-Zuccarello
Foligno-Rask-Hartman

Move the bottom 9 wingers around as you see fit. But that's what I'd go with.
Khovanov at 3C, Sturm at 4C

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Khovanov at 3C, Sturm at 4C

I don't anticipate Khovanov making the NHL team outright next season, and I don't think that would be best for him. If he forces his way in it'll be a pleasant surprise, but I wouldn't even pencil him in at this point.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
I don't anticipate Khovanov making the NHL team outright next season, and I don't think that would be best for him. If he forces his way in it'll be a pleasant surprise, but I wouldn't even pencil him in at this point.
We speak it into existence

Wabit

May 23, 2016
55p might be hard for JEE to reach. I don't know if he'll ever get the PP time to reach that mark. The Wild could/should just have a lot of options with their FWD group to make good PP units and the center/wing positions aren't as important as it is 5v5.

If things go right MN could have balanced 3 or 4 5v5 lines, and stack the special teams for the PP and PK without a lot of crossover between the two of them. It would keep the ToI pretty even so one line/player isn't playing 20 mins a night like Koivu did forever.

SMTHook

Mar 23, 2015
They've asked him to center a physical line since he came in. He's a baby fighting grown ass men in the corner and along the walls. He's been overmatched at times. But now the experience has begun to show. He's becoming elite defensively. Don't be shocked if they ask for offense he also grows.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I see Sean Couturier 2.0 but with A bit better offence and less defence. I’ve kept this kid on my keeper league (farm team) so I might be a bit biased but he’s got everything you’d want.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
They've asked him to center a physical line since he came in. He's a baby fighting grown ass men in the corner and along the walls. He's been overmatched at times. But now the experience has begun to show. He's becoming elite defensively. Don't be shocked if they ask for offense he also grows.

I won't be.

Reactions: SMTHook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad