Player Discussion Joel Eriksson Ek: The 2nd Act

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Fletcher?

I thought you said that Ek dominated the AHL? Why would they send him there if he's already playing above that level? I can't figure out if you think he belongs in the top 6 with better linemates or if he should be in Iowa?

Are you ignoring Jan? JEE started his NHL career in 2016-2017. It was a bad call from Fletcher and Bourdeau in 16-17 and then in 17-18 to keep him up in the NHL when he was clearly not ready. Coincidentally he's a PPG player in the AHL, but he's only played 18 games. He has 8 goals, 10 assists. I would have loved to see him dominate the AHL back in 16-17 or even 17-18 (as I don't think a PPG is sustainable) before getting his call up here, but that's water under the bridge because of bad roster management by Bourdeau and Fletcher.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Are you ignoring Jan? JEE started his NHL career in 2016-2017. It was a bad call from Fletcher and Bourdeau in 16-17 and then in 17-18 to keep him up in the NHL when he was clearly not ready. Coincidentally he's a PPG player in the AHL, but he's only played 18 games. He has 8 goals, 10 assists. I would have loved to see him dominate the AHL back in 16-17 or even 17-18 (as I don't think a PPG is sustainable) before getting his call up here, but that's water under the bridge because of bad roster management by Bourdeau and Fletcher.

16-17 he was in the SHL, he only got called to the NHL because Haula got pouty and quit playing and they had Cup aspirations. Burning the slide year is what the bad decision was.

17-18 he probably should have been in the AHL a little longer, but that wouldn't help his decision slow making at the NHL level. It was also the year the FWDs all got hurt in like game 3 of the season. Too many holes to fill and not enough talent in the AHL to fill them. JEE was the best of the bunch to do that.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
So, should he be in the AHL or should he be given the 2nd line center role? Because, it seems that you have argued both sides in the last week.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
So, should he be in the AHL or should he be given the 2nd line center role? Because, it seems that you have argued both sides in the last week.

He should have been in the AHL to start his career. Now that is water under the bridge, we should put him in a place to succeed and that would be in the top 6 and not worry about defensive responsibilities. He should focus on his offensive game.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He should have been in the AHL to start his career. Now that is water under the bridge, we should put him in a place to succeed and that would be in the top 6 and not worry about defensive responsibilities. He should focus on his offensive game.
Your comments were not about the start of his career, they were about last season. Round and round you go.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
We will see what Ek can do with some years of experience and a wide open playing field. Hard to predict the future given what the Wild have done with him.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Your comments were not about the start of his career, they were about last season. Round and round you go.

You came into the middle of the discussion.

Kunin was coming back from a serious injury and Greenway was well Green. He did play with Coyle and Niederreiter, but both of them struggle offensively here. I don't know why Minnesota ends up being an offensive blackhole half the time for the young guys.

And maybe some of the reason they "struggled" was playing with a center that wasn't ready for prime time.

Then why the hell was he up here? That was a bad call on Fletcher/Bourdeau

I don’t disagree.

Where in that do I specifically indicate I was talking about THIS season. I implied that it was at the start of JEE's career, but I guess reading comprehension isn't something your particularly strong with.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You came into the middle of the discussion.

Where in that do I specifically indicate I was talking about THIS season. I implied that it was at the start of JEE's career, but I guess reading comprehension isn't something your particularly strong with.
Point out the other seasons where Kunin was coming back from injury,Greenway was even on the team, and Coyle and Nino struggled while being on a line with Ek? Not a lot of options for ya.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Point out the other seasons where Kunin was coming back from injury,Greenway was even on the team, and Coyle and Nino struggled while being on a line with Ek? Not a lot of options for ya.

What? Now you're rambling and making no sense. Point is Minnesota mishandled yet another prospect.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
What? Now you're rambling and making no sense. Point is Minnesota mishandled yet another prospect.
It's kind of hard to put up 20 goals when you're stuck on the third line/fourth line with guys like Foligno and Brown. Hartman might help, but he might be a flash in the pan. Get Ek up to the top 6 and keep him there and see.

Kunin was coming back from a serious injury and Greenway was well Green. He did play with Coyle and Niederreiter, but both of them struggle offensively here. I don't know why Minnesota ends up being an offensive blackhole half the time for the young guys.

Those two quotes aren't about last season?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Troll Eriksson-Ek
What could it possibly be?

“It’s that face,” Zach Parise said before roaring with the type of laughter that triggered his side of the Tampa Bay visitors’ locker room to break down laughing as well. “It’s just that look on his face. I think it drives players crazy. He just looks at you with that face, you know, kind of like a blank stare and a slight grin.

“He’s just got that look, like after he knocks the puck away from you, he kind of gives you that look, and opponents are like, ‘I don’t know whether to be pissed off at you or not,’ you know what I mean? It’s great, it’s awesome.”

Reactions: zellmatic

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
starting to really, really like this player. I bet the Dmen love him, too. He's the sort of guy who makes it easy for you to take off on a rush, knowing that he has got your back.

I feel kind of sorry for him, too. It's like he's always being bullied, which is hilarious, for a guy that is 215lbs. and ripped.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I just posted about Ekker the other day. I stand by my assessment that he needs to stay on this team and should not outside of a fleecing, be packaged in a trade. This guy is so clutch and I think the offense will increase over the next three seasons.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I just posted about Ekker the other day. I stand by my assessment that he needs to stay on this team and should not outside of a fleecing, be packaged in a trade. This guy is so clutch and I think the offense will increase over the next three seasons.
What exactly is he "clutch" at?

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019

I will make the argument . The fact that other teams superstars hate Elk says alot about how good he is & how great he can be. He already got under the skin of Jamie Benn, Tyler Seguin, the buffalo player who punched him, & they talked about on broadcast how he doesn't give any room at all to opposing players

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
I wouldn’t say he’s clutch, but he “drives” that line. Kunin is a passenger. Greenway has his moments, but is inconsistent in his effort and effect. JEE is always first to the puck, always hitting people, consistently trying to make things happen, whilst playing extremely solid defense. He’s improving and I believe he’ll continue to get better.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I wouldn’t say he’s clutch, but he “drives” that line. Kunin is a passenger. Greenway has his moments, but is inconsistent in his effort and effect. JEE is always first to the puck, always hitting people, consistently trying to make things happen, whilst playing extremely solid defense. He’s improving and I believe he’ll continue to get better.
Greenway is far and away the guy driving that line. Ek plays solid D and gets in on the forecheck, but he's clearly the 3rd guy on that line.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Greenway is far and away the guy driving that line. Ek plays solid D and gets in on the forecheck, but he's clearly the 3rd guy on that line.
The line is driven by its defense first and foremost, which is driven by Ek. The offense is driven by Greenway. That's what I see anyway.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
The line is driven by its defense first and foremost, which is driven by Ek. The offense is driven by Greenway. That's what I see anyway.
This is what I see also. JEE will create turnovers, make passes, get to the front of the net and disrupt the goalie. The others are just feeding off of this.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
This is what I see also. JEE will create turnovers, make passes, get to the front of the net and disrupt the goalie. The others are just feeding off of this.
And do it against all star players, night in and night out.

He's clutch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad