Player Discussion Joel Eriksson Ek: The 2nd Act

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
For real though, I respect what GAR tries to do, but in this instance it’s saying that Eriksson Ek and Brodin both bring relatively the same goal scoring value as Leon Draisaitl, and frankly, that seems like a suspicious stat.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
And do it against all star players, night in and night out.

He's clutch.
I see clutch as coming up with a game winning goal, or making a game saving block or something at a big moment at the end of a game.

I don't think I'd use clutch for what I see Ek doing well. That isn't a knock against him by any means though.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
That’s not what clutch means.
I'll educate the masses then.

clutch
/kləCH/

(in sport) denoting or occurring in a critical situation in which the outcome of a game or competition is at stake.
"they both are hard-nosed players who seem to thrive in clutch situations"
  • (of a player or action) achieving or characterized by success at a critical moment in a game or competition.
    "a clutch quarterback"
Do you know what JEE does?

He stops the elite players of the league from scoring goals at critical times. He shuts them down. He does this in critical situations and he does it well, and he will only get better at it.

Success does not imply that points are scored. A successful defense is one that shuts down the opponents offense. He is in fact clutch at many singular moments throughout the course of any game.

Class dismissed.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

clutch
/kləCH/

(in sport) denoting or occurring in a critical situation in which the outcome of a game or competition is at stake.
  • (of a player or action) achieving or characterized by success at a critical moment in a game or competition.
    "a clutch quarterback"

He stops the elite players of the league from scoring goals at critical times. He shuts them down. He does this in critical situations and he does it well, and he will only get better at it.

Success does not imply that points are scored. A successful defense is one that shuts down the opponents offense. He is in fact clutch at many singular moments throughout the course of any game.

Class dismissed.
The definition you've quoted emphasizes "success at a critical moment" but your argument points out Ek's ability to shut down the opposing offense at "many singular moments." Being able to grind down and frustrate top scoring lines is absolutely valuable and it's great to see his line doing it consistently, but it's something they do over the course of a full game.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

clutch
/kləCH/

"a clutch quarterback"

Class dismissed.

I look forward to part 2 of class, where you show where any of that applies to Eriksson Ek, for any meaningful sample size.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

clutch
/kləCH/

"a clutch quarterback"

Class dismissed.
Again, I disagree. Coming up big defensively throughout the game isn't necessarily clutch. Coming up great defensively and preventing a goal himself at a big moment late in the game is. I don't recall any particular clutch defensive moments that saved a game is all.

That's why clutch isn't a term I'd use.

Example of coming up clutch defensively... Granlund vs the Avs in the playoffs. Making 3 crucial shot blocks in the last minute to help seal the win. That was clutch.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Man, if Kunin wasn’t on that line they just wouldn’t shoot. All the o-zone board work for nothing. All that defense for nothing. I wouldn’t say any of them are passengers. They all play their own unique role in making that line successful.

Reactions: BagHead and TaLoN

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
The definition you've quoted emphasizes "success at a critical moment" but your argument points out Ek's ability to shut down the opposing offense at "many singular moments." Being able to grind down and frustrate top scoring lines is absolutely valuable and it's great to see his line doing it consistently, but it's something they do over the course of a full game.

It depends on the context of an event. Over an 82 game season, a singular game is a critical moment. Besides that, he is indeed successful at singular critical moments within a game or season.

He is clutch.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I look forward to part 2 of class, where you show where any of that applies to Eriksson Ek, for any meaningful sample size.
I'm glad you do. I will show you by the end of the 22 season, he will be known as one of the best shutdown centers in the league. That'll be seasons worth of sample size. General and advanced stats will show it, and the sample size will be large enough to project.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It depends on the context of an event. Over an 82 game season, a singular game is a critical moment. Besides that, he is indeed successful at singular critical moments within a game or season.

He is clutch.

It's not clutch.

Scoring the game winning goal late in the third or OT. Scoring a basket as the clock expires. Making the game winning field goal from 40+ with only seconds left on the clock. A walk off hit in the bottom of the 9th.

THOSE are clutch.

Playing good defense against great players isn't clutch.

Reactions: 123TripleDoge

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm glad you do. I will show you by the end of the 22 season, he will be known as one of the best shutdown centers in the league. That'll be seasons worth of sample size. General and advanced stats will show it, and the sample size will be large enough to project.
Clutch is a singular defining moment within a game. Not playing great defense over extended periods of time.

Reactions: 123TripleDoge

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

He is clutch.
If the idea is to acknowledge that Ek, when playing well, can provide a lot of value to a team with strong defensive play, I don't disagree.

I don't really understand the need to hang the word "clutch" around his neck by torturing the word in such a way that it no longer means what everyone thinks it means, but to each their own.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Being good two and a half years from now doesn’t do much to prove anything today.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
It's not clutch.

Scoring the game winning goal late in the third or OT. Scoring a basket as the clock expires. Making the game winning field goal from 40+ with only seconds left on the clock. A walk off hit in the bottom of the 9th.

THOSE are clutch.

Playing good defense against great players isn't clutch.
If a goalie can make a save and consider it a clutch save, a center defending a star player so said star cannot get a shot off in a pivotal moment of a game is absolutely clutch.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Forget who said it but consistent is so much more applicable to Ek than clutch. He's been the leader of a line asked to shutdown opposing top lines and excelled throughout games.

The word clutch implies that at a singular critical moment or point, that person performs better than they have throughout the entire game.

Semantics aside JEE has been fantastic within his role.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Consistent is a better word.
Forget who said it but consistent is so much more applicable to Ek than clutch. He's been the leader of a line asked to shutdown opposing top lines and excelled throughout games.

The word clutch implies that at a singular critical moment or point, that person performs better than they have throughout the entire game.

Semantics aside JEE has been fantastic within his role.

Reactions: fentonsbrainchild

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
When I think of a defensive play being clutch, I think of Spurgeon's moments where he's jumped into the net and made a save as though he were the goalie. And even then, only if it means us winning the game - If it makes no real difference to the ending state of the game it isn't clutch, after all. You can certainly argue that JEE's contributions keep the opponents from scoring on us which influences the ending state of the game, but there is no exact moment during the game that such a contribution can be pinpointed to, so it's not clutch.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
If you think about it, Ek is really the Patrick Kane of defensive bottom-6 centers. You see, they both... well Ek, he... I mean in hockey it's really important sometimes to look at it from a, uh. Ek's opponents want to treat his face like it withheld 20 cents in change?

I mean, I know I sigh in relief when Ek starts us off in overtime. Well, I sigh anyway.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If you think about it, Ek is really the Patrick Kane of defensive bottom-6 centers. You see, they both... well Ek, he... I mean in hockey it's really important sometimes to look at it from a, uh. Ek's opponents want to treat his face like it withheld 20 cents in change?

I mean, I know I sigh in relief when Ek starts us off in overtime. Well, I sigh anyway.
I understand completely and wholeheartedly agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad